• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

JournalStone Publishing

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
I haven't had a second chance, if that is what you mean. I sent them two books and they were very courteous and precise as to why they were a no-go. I like them. I'd take them up on that if I were you. There is an advance possibility with this press, actually a probable one. They are PICKY though, of course.

tri

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Any more news on this publisher?

Last edited:

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't had a second chance, if that is what you mean. I sent them two books and they were very courteous and precise as to why they were a no-go. I like them. I'd take them up on that if I were you. There is an advance possibility with this press, actually a probable one. They are PICKY though, of course.

tri
They say they sometimes offer an advance and pay 10% of Net. I guess if that is print only then that is ok, depending on what they pay for ebook. I don't know if they do print runs or are POD. Would simply be interesting to know more about them.
They appear respectable.

Last edited:

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
I queried them once upon a time, when the world was a younger, happier place... The allotted time for response blundered past, wheezing and sputtering; still I waited stoically. Then I waited miserably. Then I waited irritably. Then I penned a question concerning what is up and what is down. Then I waited stoically for a reply at least to this. Then I waited miserably. Then I waited irritably. Then I decided against a misdirected hammer murder spree, and instead bought myself a bottle of wine.

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
True that; cheers, uncle Jim!
Anyway, since then life went on, I joined the secret handshake society of the agented elite, but back then the lack of communication was almost reason enough to write an s/m hit based on the fifty shades of rejections read out aloud by a paddle-wielding editor domina...

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
10% of net is a miserable royalty rate. Consider you made a lucky escape, cross them off your list, and continue to better places.
Is it though if they only mean the print price? I don't know. I know of comparable things for print only from other places. 10% of net does not sound fun but I don't know if it's out of whack with other publishers for PRINT. For ebook though it would be appalling. Is this a very print focused books in stores press? I'm unsure.
I'm getting 40-30% cover for my ebook but when it goes to print in November I will only be getting 8% of cover price. I don't know what the really big publishers pay for print but I know that places like Random House and Harper Collins are only paying 25% net for digital.

Last edited:

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
I queried them once upon a time, when the world was a younger, happier place... The allotted time for response blundered past, wheezing and sputtering; still I waited stoically. Then I waited miserably. Then I waited irritably. Then I penned a question concerning what is up and what is down. Then I waited stoically for a reply at least to this. Then I waited miserably. Then I waited irritably. Then I decided against a misdirected hammer murder spree, and instead bought myself a bottle of wine.
This is why simultaneous submissions were invented.

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
Don't snark, ginger, or it's off to the paddle editor with you!
...Yeah it was one of many submissions, but only one of 2-3 of the mid-range (the rest were the miniscule publishers), so I had invested more emotionally.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Journal Stone were actively acquiring for awhile, but I guess they got what they wanted because they are closed to unagented submissions "until Spring of 2014."

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
Submissions are open until June 20. I submitted a supernatural mystery/thriller. They have some pretty amazing authors there, including Jonathan Maberry. Don't know if they offer advances or not, but the terms look pretty good from what I read on the website. Keeping my fingers crossed!

fornickels

Registered
Reaction score
Would love to hear if anyone has any updated experiences with them. I don't typically write horror (however I'm a horror movie fanatic) but I have one planned for the future.
They seem to have a good stable of authors

writera

Writ Era
Registered
Reaction score
Would this be considered a small or medium press? Any other info about them, compared to big publishers, etc?

Last edited:

Round Two

Behind the door of a small house.
Registered
Reaction score
I submitted to them, got an email back saying their response time is 3 - 5 months.
Would this be considered a small or medium press? Any other info about them, compared to big publishers, etc?
Very small press.

writera

Writ Era
Registered
Reaction score
Very small press.

Thanks. I wasn't sure.

Do you know anything else about them? Distribution? Advances etc.? Other than what's written above, I haven't been able to find out much about them, but their books look well-produced and professional and I've heard good things about the people involved.