• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

JournalStone Publishing

RobeH

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first post on AbsoluteWrite, so please be gentle with me :)

Does anyone know anything about Journalstone (link to their site below), what kind of reputation they have, anyone have any experience of working with them? I ask because they have offered to publish my (co-written) book and I am curious to know what the people on here make of them.

Many thanks,

David

http://journalstone.com/

8thSamurai

Registered
Reaction score
I see absolutely nothing that they've published book wise on the home page, just movie reviews. I personally don't care for that as it looks like they're desperately trying to infer that they have a relationship with those properties, which doesn't seem to be true.

On their about page - ah. Fees. They're a blog who's owners decided to become a vanity press.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They do say
We do not charge any fees to authors for publishing novels.
and even add
Advances up to $2,000 have been paid for select works
but I find it hard to believe that a new, unheard-of e-book press publishing F/SF would be selling enough copies to warrant four-figure advances. And for this particular press -- of their four recently released books, two of them have no Amazon ranking at all (= zero sales) and the other two have rankings >3,000,000 (= sod-all sales).

Howerver, their repeated use of "services", a la
- JournalStone offers a wide variety of publishing services
- Our staff will work directly with you, offering a wide variety of services
- Our staff is available to help with cover design and any range of editorial services
does make them sound like a fee-charging service provider. (Editing to add: I don't think they do charge fees; I think it's just an unfortunate choice of words that's giving the vanity-press vibe.)

I don't like their contests, in which submitting your story gives them permission to publish the story anywhere, in any format, as often as they want, for the life of the copyright, in return for no payment.

I don't find their book covers appealing, either, but that's a matter of personal taste.

My gut feeling is: a group of well-meaning amateurs with a bit of money but no know-how.

Last edited:

JournalStone

Registered
Reaction score
I work for JournalStone and I am not sure what website you are viewing. Our books are all over our home page. They are posted everywhere. We also do movie and book reviews, but that is not the focus of our home page. Additionally we do not charge any fees for any of our services. I have no idea where you feel you saw something of that nature, but it was not on our site.

If you have any questions please let me know and we will do our best to respond. There is a contact button at the bottom of our home page.

Thanks and I wish you both the best.

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
My gut feeling is: a group of well-meaning amateurs with a bit of money but no know-how.

Agreed. Though if they are giving a $2000 advance to contest winners, they at least show some confidence in their ability to move some books. Though without poring through the contest rules, I can't say whether or not it is a good contest or not. (At least there is no mention of contest fees.)

8thSamurai

Registered
Reaction score
@JournalStone - the link to your homepage.

Perhaps it is merely unfortunate wording - 'services' tends to be a convenient word for vanity pubs to hide fees under. A service is something you pay for.

Also, I see not a whisper anywhere about distribution methods.

IMO, sincere, but ultimately not a good home for my work.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It does rather look like an Adsense funded review blog with some epublishing on the side, rather than the other way around. Generally publishers put the books up front and focus on making money from the books. The titles themselves seem interesting and not badly presented for the most part.

RobeH

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for your comments, everyone. The publishers noticed that I posted a query on here and have since demanded that we cancel our contract with them.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
So. Amateur: yes. Well-meaning: not so much. IMHO you probably dodged a bullet. Good luck with placing your work elsewhere.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Thank you for your comments, everyone. The publishers noticed that I posted a query on here and have since demanded that we cancel our contract with them.

Wow! That certainly tells people a lot about this publisher. Thanks for sharing, RobeH, and good luck finding a good, reputable publisher. This one obviously doesn't qualify if they can't handle someone posting a simple request for more information.

JournalStone

Registered
Reaction score
Actually that is not the complete sequence of events, but I honestly feel it is unprofessional to discuss any relationship I have with an author in a public venue. If anyone wishes to talk about JournalStone or what we can or do offer, I will happily answer any questions. I will also willingly give out references of any and all authors we have and/or are currently working with.

I wish you all the best and honestly hope that David finds a fit he feels comfortable with.

I won't be responding to this string anymore so please feel free to talk openly. If you wish to contact me, there is an option on the bottom front page of our website.

Thanks everyone and have a nice weekend

RobeH

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for that, guys. I do feel rather disappointed right now.

However, onwards and upwards!

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
Thanks for that, guys. I do feel rather disappointed right now.

However, onwards and upwards!

Rather than disappointed, you should feel relieved. There are worst things than going with a publisher who would drop you for checking up on them, but not many.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure about this. I looked at the web page and there were movie reviews, yes, but most of it was about books. Their books. I just won an early reviewer e-book from them via LibraryThing so I'll be getting a look at their editing, etc. And, as someone mentioned above, it clearly states they do not charge any fees to authors.

I think it's a little precipitous to make them the bad guy; the guy from Journalstone stated he felt it unprofessional to discuss the dispute with the author in public, and that is something that should be respected. There are always two sides to every story.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
I read the About Us page and almost all the language on it points towards this being a vanity press. If it really isn't one, then changing that language should be a priority. I'd start with removing the focus on the author-as-customer.

RobeH

Registered
Reaction score
I have respected the President of Journalstone's wishes and we are trying to resolve the situation via private email. Amicably!

Bicyclefish

Pedaling Pescado
Registered
Reaction score
Although I understand the decision to not bring up unrelated business between a publisher and author, I'm left scratching my head. It'd have put my mind at ease to at least say something along the lines of, "The reason for the canceled contract had nothing to do with the author's inquiry here." As things stand, it does appear that way.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Wha--???

Nexus

Evolute
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure about this. I looked at the web page and there were movie reviews, yes, but most of it was about books. Their books. I just won an early reviewer e-book from them via LibraryThing so I'll be getting a look at their editing, etc. And, as someone mentioned above, it clearly states they do not charge any fees to authors.

I think it's a little precipitous to make them the bad guy; the guy from Journalstone stated he felt it unprofessional to discuss the dispute with the author in public, and that is something that should be respected. There are always two sides to every story.

I do not believe the issue here is that a "dispute" exists and is being talked about here.

To have a problem with someone in a professional setting and to bring it to a message board would be unprofessional.

No, what the original poster did was simply ask what people's opinions are of this new press. This is a question I would hope someone asks themselves before signing any contract with anyone for any reason.

And that is the discussion here.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I do not believe the issue here is that a "dispute" exists and is being talked about here.

To have a problem with someone in a professional setting and to bring it to a message board would be unprofessional.

No, what the original poster did was simply ask what people's opinions are of this new press. This is a question I would hope someone asks themselves before signing any contract with anyone for any reason.

And that is the discussion here.

But the author did make a statement about being 'dropped' by the publisher, supposedly because of this post, and people were making assumptions about the publisher because of that, even though the publisher stated they didn't feel it professional to respond here regarding the misunderstanding/dispute/disagreement with the author - thus we only got one side of the story. Therefore, I don't think that particular avenue should be a deciding factor as to whether this company is 'good' or 'bad'.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Didn't even know there was a thread on this publisher. When I did a search, it didn't come up (spelling--Caps?). I found the link in the archives. Truth be told, I haven't had any problems dealing with them at all. They're very swift on reading samples, and offer comments and suggestions. You apparently deal with a first reader, and then get passed on to a small acquisitions board. I just turned in a R & R, so I'll let you know how it goes.

Anybody else have any subs with them?

Tri

Haunted_October

Ready to kick the WIP's butt!
Registered
Reaction score
I've never had a problem with them when I've submitted, and the authors I know who've publisehd with them have had good experiences.

Eltondiva

Effieron Empress
Registered
Reaction score
Hi I submitted with them earlier in the year, unfortunately it was a no. I have recently received a mail from them asking if I wish my material to be re-considered. Has anyone else received such correspondence?