Contract question

Status
Not open for further replies.

LStein

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
Well, crap, I already signed and sent in the contract. I should have had more patience and waited to read more responses.

I'm a little nervous now but the editor does seem reasonable. Here's the rest of the clause:
"The Publisher agrees to make reasonable efforts to notify the Author in advance of any editorial changes."

I sent him an email about this a few days ago and he replied:
"Yes, the second part technically means without consent. However, we will contact you with any changes and try our best to accommodate any stylistic suggestions you have. Ultimately, our say will be final, but we aren't sticklers."

So, hopefully, all will be well. Thanks for the responses, everyone. I'll probably be a little less hasty with the next one.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
How many AWers have had a problem with editors rewriting a major portion of their story???

It is my argument that editors just don't do it. If any major or significant changes need to be made, the editor will ask the author to do it.

So again, any AWers have any examples of an editor taking it upon themselves to rewrite or signicantly change your story???

Since this post just came up in B&BC...

Here's a link to a small-press author's blog, in which she discusses complaints about editing (the relevant portion starts in the fourth paragraph). Specifically, she says (bolding mine):

And the editing process for that book made me angry. Seven books edited now and only one pissed me off. I will not go into detail. Let's just say small errors were not found that should have been found of which I will take the blame. But the editor did things no other editor would dare do and that's being nice. Yes I complained. Cobblestone Press no longer answers my email. ... I asked questions that were either ignored or I was told do it or else. I would not allow the editor to rewrite my book (Cold) in her words, voice. I did not play nice with her. Ask me to fix it. Do not do it yourself and expect me to say yeah whatevs because that won't fly. My story my voice mine. My mistakes my fixes mine.

Again. This isn't common at small presses (who often don't know how the editing process is actually supposed to work), but it's certainly far from uncommon, in my experience. It does happen.

This is why authors need contractual protection.

LStein, you'll probably be fine; I wouldn't worry about it. At least the contract says they'll "make reasonable attempts" to contact you. And what's done is done.

But in future, keep in mind that no one else should be rewriting your work. If there's an issue the editor is supposed to tell you what it is and let you fix it however you choose. Your name goes on the book; it's your reputation on the line, and therefore you should have the right to say yes or no to edits.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.