practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
deirdre.net

ebar

Registered
Reaction score
I'll be interested. I'm planning on releasing a short (ish) story and I'll be interested in seeing what kind of attention they get.

Deirdre

Registered
Reaction score
Website
deirdre.net
Sure, I'll update it for a few months, see what happens. I mostly post on LiveJournal because I've gotten lazy.

I have had a blog for quite a few years, but didn't really update it from 2007-2010, and I'm still not updating it frequently enough. Gave it a fluff and fold recently, then updated my sff.net site, which still isn't pretty enough.

Last edited:

gayle12

Write. Edit. Publish. Repeat.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gaylefmoffet.com
This is really interesting. I'm in a publishing program, and we were recently discussing how the iPhone kind of brought back the short story as a form because they're small, easy to download, and you can read them easily even on a tiny screen. Your numbers reflect that, especially in July, when your biggest sales are from iBook. I'd love to see your numbers over a series of months and see what happens.

Gayle

Deirdre

Registered
Reaction score
Website
deirdre.net
Well, I did announce on iBooks first, but I followed up with Kindle and B&N the following day.

I have read more than one novel on my iPhone, but now that I've got an iPad, I consider the iPhone hardship duty for long reading. ;)

Marfa

Registered
Reaction score
I released a short story just on Kindle and my sales not even close to yours. Way to go!

Piper Brooks

Registered
Reaction score
I never really thought of e-publishing short stories until I started buying them for my Evo smartphone. I realized I was willing to pay 99 cents for stories I would never really consider buying in a store.
Good luck! I am looking forward to your updates!

GradyHendrix

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I have to say that I'm super-impressed at your iBooks sales. I've sold about 100 or so ebooks on Amazon after four months, but not one sale in the iBookstore and none in Barnes and Noble either. A handful in Smashwords but most of it is Amazon.

Deirdre

Registered
Reaction score
Website
deirdre.net
Grady, it looks like you went through Smashwords, where I went directly through iBooks. I don't know if that's a significant difference, though.

Norman D Gutter

Engineer Sonneteer
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidatodd.com
Very impressive initial sales.

Mine aren't so. After six months for my short story I have only 9 sales. It didn't go up to Smashwords premium until last month. After three months for my non-fiction book, I have only 10 sales. It was just approved this month for Smashwords premium. Gotta do more to promote, I guess.

Norman D Gutter

Engineer Sonneteer
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidatodd.com
I didn't mean to imply that Smashwords premium approval came months after submittal. I put my stuff up on Kindle in February and May, but didn't try Smashwords till July. Blame busyness. My short story was approved to the premium catalog on first submission, only 5 days I think. My non-fiction book took two re-submittals, each time requiring 4 to 5 days of evaluation.

R.S. Dean

Not as crazy as she seems
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, great numbers! My stories get very little notice on iTunes but do well on B&N and Smashwords. I've only just begun using Amazon.com.

If you don't mind my asking, how do you market your stories? Do you think your sales are mainly due to word of mouth from readers, or are you out there actively promoting your work?

GradyHendrix

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
That's so weird! Thanks for noticing that. I went to iTunes via the iTunes Producer software, and was having some buggy issues. Then I suddenly noticed that my book was already there. I felt like: "Wow! Maybe one of these canceled uploads worked? And that's why I'm getting all these messages about it being problematic?" And of course I totally forgot that Smashwords had done it.

Thank you. I will go feel like an idiot now!

Velcro

Scribbling Scribe
Registered
Reaction score
Very impressive sales numbers. I've put my story up on Kindle and B&N. Not many bites...ok, make that any. So I've tried looking into other epublishers that could help get the word out about my book.

Still congrats on your sales!

Deirdre

Registered
Reaction score
Website
deirdre.net
Norman: gotcha. I thought it seemed odd!

So -- I posted this because I don't consider the sales numbers impressive. Consider: for me to actually receive a check from iTunes, I'd need to earn $150 in royalties. For a 99c e-book, that means 217 copies.

As for promotion: nothing specific. I have links on my sites and I have mentioned it in blog posts. I have a Goodreads account and a Facebook author page.

Wordwrestler

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Deirdre, does itunes give you the option to have the money go directly into a bank account? That's a lot of money for them to hold onto, but maybe it's because they're discouraging having to mail lots of little paper checks.

Those ibooks numbers are encouraging, though. A lot of the teens I talk to are so excited to learn that they can read books on their phones. That surprised me, but I guess it makes sense, given that it's the primary device they've become attached to.

Deirdre

Registered
Reaction score
Website
deirdre.net
Yes, they require bank account information. I think it's just that they expect a higher threshold than most other places. So, even though you may earn less per book through Smashwords [1], you may get that money faster as you'll reach the minimum check threshold quicker, if that makes sense.

Also note that this isn't per book: I'm free to upload other stuff and meet the $150 with other products, too.

When I was in grad school, I read Scalzi's Old Man's War on my iPhone (it was a required text), but now I'm really glad I have an iPad for reading. The only time I read on my phone these days is if I'm stranded somewhere without my iPad.

[1] Edited to add clarification: I meant selling on iBooks through Smashwords, not directly on Smashwords' own site.

Last edited:

uscgbyron

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
Website
marieabmare.wordpress.com
Deirdre,
Heh, I'd say they are pretty decent numbers. Not outstanding but not bad. over the past 6 months I think I've had 6 sales, following the same relaxed marketing scheme as you. That's on Kindle. I also have them on B&N but no sales there period. My cover art has just about quadrupaled in quality though so we'll see if that helps.

I keep writing and putting them up, we'll see what happens...

Deirdre

Registered
Reaction score
Website
deirdre.net
Wow, I made the self-pub index and all. Go, me!

Yeah, well, haven't seen a lot of dough, but just got $0.49 and $1.11 for Amazon royalties for Germany and UK -- from 2011.

Deirdre

Registered
Reaction score
Website
deirdre.net
2-1/2 years of data. As far as quantity of money, let's just say it's gotten to the "an awkward number of lattes to carry" phase, but still well under $100. (This is a self-repubbed reprint, so I'd already expected that most of the market was tapped.)

Oh, and once I passed $5 in sales, I got a bank transfer from Apple, so I didn't have to wait for $150.

PubNumbers.002.400.jpg

Link to original larger image.

PubNumbers.003.400.jpg

Link to original larger image.

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Deirdre, we have a maximum image size of 400 x 400 pixels at AW and your two are each a mahoosive 1024 x 769 pixels.

Can you please reduce them in size or delete them? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.