I need an odd book recommendation...

Michaelg

Registered
Reaction score
To help me research the proper description and placement of my book, I am looking for a relatively recently published book with the following specs:

Action/Adventure or Literary Fiction (whatever that is)
No SciFi
No magic
No martial art themes
No unrealistic physics
No mental telepathy or extra sensory perception
No super natural themes or objects.
No medical catastrophe.
No mysteries
No weapons of mass destruction including nuclear weapons.
And, I need Kindle version availability.

I want to read a book similar to what I just wrote but I just spent an hour reading book descriptions on Amazon and I did not find one even close. I do not know of a way to filter available books in this way. If you don't know of such a book, do any of you know how to search books to find such a specimen?

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Have you read Neal Stephenson's "Crytonomicon"? It's a big old bear of a book, mostly action/adventure, but with a love story, a business interest, war shown from several sides, and cyber-goodness.

It's probably the best book I've read in recent years. I borrowed it from one of our kids, and as soon as I finished it, I went out and bought my own copy.

Maryn, knowing its size can be daunting

Michaelg

Registered
Reaction score
Have you read Neal Stephenson's "Crytonomicon"? It's a big old bear of a book, mostly action/adventure, but with a love story, a business interest, war shown from several sides, and cyber-goodness.

It's probably the best book I've read in recent years. I borrowed it from one of our kids, and as soon as I finished it, I went out and bought my own copy.

Maryn, knowing its size can be daunting
I read the reviews and, although I am not sure it is exactly what I am looking for, it sounds great. I downloaded a sample and if holds up, which I expect, I will buy it anyway just to read for fun.

Still looking for the book I mentioned.

Michaelg

Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like you want contemporary, mainstream fiction.

The genres always throw me. What is the difference between Action/Adventure and literary fiction? Can an action/adventure also be contemporary, mainsteam fiction?

On Amazon they have a Book category of Literary and one called Genre Fiction. Under Genre Fiction there is Action/Adventure. I believe the book I am looking for is one of the 56,492 books in the category of Action/Adventure. However, there seems to be no way to filter it any further.

While reading the book descriptions I had the impression that a lot of the books in this catagory are mis-classified. I found SciFi, War, Fantacy, etc. but I felt it would take forever to find one with out all the sub-genres getting in the way.

Maybe it is just me.

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
I think action/adventure is the complete opposite of literary fiction. Action/Adventure is more like a thriller, plot driven with lots of ups and downs and literary fiction is more about people, cerebral, character driven -- if that makes any sense. Of course, this is all just my opinion.

That being said the first name that comes to mind for both would be Dennis Lehane. Shutter Island and Mystic River are both amazing. I haven't read The Given Day, yet but I think that one might also apply.

His Kenzie/Gennaro series is also good. I believe the first book is "A Drink Before the War." While that series isn't necessary a mystery book, they are Private Investigators. So that series might not work for you.

Here are some other good choices:

Action/Adventure:
Lee Child's Jack Reacher books.
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Stieg Larrson
Jeff Lindsay's Dexter series

Literary Fiction:
Water For Elephants by Sarah Gruen
Beautiful Maria of my Soul by Oscar Hijuelos
Major Pettigrews Last Stand by Helen Simonson
The Cookbook Collector by Allegra Goodman
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

Hope that helps.