The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: August 2011 Blog Chain

August 2011 Blog Chain

Starting Date: Monday August 8, 2011
    Open to all forum members, even after it starts!

This month's prompt: The Continuing Story of a Song

Step 1: Choose a song. It can be any song, vocal or instrumental, but you have to know what it's called and who did it. If you really want to spin the roulette wheel, use the random function in your music player. Bonus points for finding and linking a YouTube video or other (legal) source. The song should be one you like and doesn't have to be related to anybody else's pick.

Step 2: Continue the story. Read the post before yours and continue the story in any direction you see fit. Your continuation must be based on, inspired by, or in some other way influenced by your song choice. Be prepared to explain it in the comments section!

Simply post in this thread to join. Each post should be less than 500 words if possible. Read and comment on other participants' posts if you possibly can--they'll be doing the same for you!

I'll let you know in this thread when it's your turn.
    Once your turn comes up, you have two days to complete your post. When you are finished, please post a link to your post on the thread so I can let the next person in line know that their turn is up. If you signed up but find yourself unable to participate or need to be moved around in the schedule, please PM me or post in the thread. If you fail to post on your blog and on the thread within two days, I'll bump you down to the end of the line on the third day; you'll get a second chance at the end of the month.

Please include a list of all participants' blogs in your blog post, and keep in mind we're not starting until the second Monday of the month to give people time to sign up.

Participants and posts:
    Story beginning
    orion_mk3 - http://nonexistentbooks.wordpress.com (link to this month's post)
    BigWords - http://bigwords88.wordpress.com/ (link to this month's post)
    AbielleRose - http://stainedglassinthenight.wordpress.com/ (link to this month's post)
    Ralph Pines - http://ralfast.wordpress.com/ (link to this month's post)
    hillaryjacques - http://hillaryjacques.blogspot.com/ (link to this month's post)
    Darkshore - http://dustinbishop.wordpress.com/ (link to this month's post)
    pyrosama - http://matrix-hole.blogspot.com/ (link to this month's post)
    Diana_Rajchel - http://blog.dianarajchel.com/ (link to this month's post)
    Inkstrokes - http://drlong67.wordpress.com/ (link to this month's post)
    soullesshuman - http://eventideenvisions.blogspot.com/ (link to this month's post)
    Alyzna - http://alynzasmith.blogspot.com/ (link to this month's post)
    Cath - http://www.cathsmith.com/wprs/ (link to this month's post)
    dolores haze - http://dianedooley.wordpress.com/ (link to this month's post)
    Alpha Echo - http://writersramblings81.blogspot.com/ (link to this month's post)
    pezie - http://www.erinbrambilla.wordpress.com/ (link to this month's post)
    Finale Part 1
    Finale Part 2
    Finale Part 3

Archive of Past Blog Chains
    Last edited by orion_mk3; 08-30-2011 at 08:37 AM.

In Search of the Throne of Stars Ralph Pines's Avatar
    This just might work.
    Those that are offended by the truth can not be trusted with it.
    Main Blog:
    Neither Here nor There....

YouTube Gaming Channel: Lessons Learned

And on Twitter:

RafaWriter (original it ain't, but it works for me!)

This blog chain is made of pure WIN.
    The blog, which may not be updated regularly enough. -- I'm linking to other AW blogs here. -- There's some nonsense here when I can be bothered.
    Don't hold your breath...

Quote Originally Posted by AbielleRose View Post
    Dude, I am not that flexible.
    Quote Originally Posted by aliwood View Post
    The SFF Review Educational Supplement is now open. I'll be listing books, podcasts, online courses and anything else that aims to help the SFF writer improve their skills, provided they're free. (the books, podcasts, online courses and anything else, not the writers)

The British Comics Database is growing. Or mutating. I'm not quite sure which, yet.

I just had someone ask my by PM if the song you choose has to be related to the one before it. The answer is no. The idea is that your choice of song will inspire you to continue the story in an interesting, unique (possibly hilarious) way.
    Excerpts from Nonexistent Books - my literary blog and daily writing exercise all rolled up into one! Short sections of books that don't (and perhaps shouldn't) exist. Like what you see? Purchase a print or ebook version!

So the first poster will begin a story of some sort based on a song and then we each add to that story with a different song of our choosing? This sounds really cool. I think I'd like to participate.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkshore View Post
    So the first poster will begin a story of some sort based on a song and then we each add to that story with a different song of our choosing? This sounds really cool. I think I'd like to participate.
    Exactly! You're in.
    Excerpts from Nonexistent Books - my literary blog and daily writing exercise all rolled up into one! Short sections of books that don't (and perhaps shouldn't) exist. Like what you see? Purchase a print or ebook version!

I would like to try this. Never done it before!

Quote Originally Posted by pyrosama View Post
    I would like to try this. Never done it before!
    Welcome aboard.

Can't wait to get this thing started

In Search of the Throne of Stars Ralph Pines's Avatar
    Darn, I keep posting in the wrong place. Sorry. Can't wait for the chain to begin!
    Last edited by Ralph Pines; 08-05-2011 at 10:26 PM.
    Those that are offended by the truth can not be trusted with it.
    Main Blog:
    Neither Here nor There....

YouTube Gaming Channel: Lessons Learned

And on Twitter:

RafaWriter (original it ain't, but it works for me!)

I should be writing. Alpha Echo's Avatar
    Can you, once again, please keep me on the end? I'm going to Canada from next Tuesday the 9th until the 17th, and I have no idea whether or not I'll have internet access (though I will have my laptop). I assume I will, but I don't want to hold up the chain, I DO want to participate, but I don't want to miss my turn.
    "All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible"
    T.E. Lawrence

Writing from my Seaside Palace Diana_Rajchel's Avatar
    I'm in! Can I possibly get a date - I like to schedule this stuff into my Google calendar so I have an auto-nag on.

Available at:
    Amazon, Amazon UK
    Barnes and Noble
    Powell's

YA author with a flair for fantasy! jkellerford's Avatar

count me in

sounds interesting. I've never done anything like this before.
    Jen

www.j-keller-ford.com
    YA Chit Chat
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Instagram

IN THE SHADOW OF THE DRAGON KING
    Cover Reveal: March 11
    Book Birthday: September 6, 2016 - Month9Books imprint of Georgia McBride Media Group (GMMG)

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Echo View Post
    Can you, once again, please keep me on the end?.
    Okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Diana_Rajchel View Post
    I'm in! Can I possibly get a date.
    I would guesstimate August 19, since we seem to be about even in people taking three seconds to do their posts and people taking the full two days before queuing to the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by jkellerford View Post
    sounds interesting. I've never done anything like this before.
    Neither have I. Should be a wild ride if nothing else!

Quote Originally Posted by orion_mk3 View Post
    I would guesstimate August 19, since we seem to be about even in people taking three seconds to do their posts and people taking the full two days before queuing to the bottom.
    I usually try to have my post ready ahead of time, but won't be able to this time. Need to read the story from the start and go from there, right?

And just to add to your problems, Orion. I'm going to be out of town with spotty internet access from Sunday 7th until Thursday 11th. If it's my turn before the 11th, could you bump me down the list? Sorry!

Okay, everyone: to make sure we're all on the same page, I'm going to be doing two first posts. One will be the start of the story, and is up now, and the other will be the first continuation and will go up tomorrow to mark the official start of the chain.

Don't worry, all I did was introduce a setting and a character. It's all very vague--mostly description--so you should be able to take it in any direction you like! I included song links, and chose them using the random feature in iTunes (both of which are purely optional).

Writing from my Seaside Palace Diana_Rajchel's Avatar
    Okay.

Neither have I. Should be a wild ride if nothing else!
    Thanks for the guestimate and overlooking my awful punctuation.

This will be so fun!

Available at:
    Amazon, Amazon UK
    Barnes and Noble
    Powell's

I should be writing. Alpha Echo's Avatar
    Okay.

Thanks! As long as I'm after August 17th, I'm good!
    "All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible"
    T.E. Lawrence

I'll really, really try to keep my post short(ish), and have it up on the day I'm tagged.
    The blog, which may not be updated regularly enough. -- I'm linking to other AW blogs here. -- There's some nonsense here when I can be bothered.

The SFF Review Educational Supplement is now open. I'll be listing books, podcasts, online courses and anything else that aims to help the SFF writer improve their skills, provided they're free. (the books, podcasts, online courses and anything else, not the writers)

The British Comics Database is growing. Or mutating. I'm not quite sure which, yet.

First post is up. BigWords gets to pick a song and continue the story now.

Done, and done. Sorry it took so long, but I was rewriting a novella at the same time.

AbielleRose: next.

I'm afraid to find the place where I'm not living.
    Sign me up, please.
    Rants, blurbs and mostly inane ramblings but also details on my up coming novels Echoes & Appetites can be found here drlong67.wordpress.com
    Echoes - Complete, editing
    Appetites - 30% first draft
    Faces - 5% frist draft
    The Last Gift (Illustrated Christmas book)- Complete, editing

Inkstrokes: signed up

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast