The Great Absolute Write Spec Fiction Anthology!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I have what might be a stupid question. I have a fantasy novel that I wrote a year and a half ago, but which I've decided not to pursue as a novel anymore. However, I'm pretty sure I can make a decent and coherent short story out of it. But I definitely see taking certain scenes from it and making some modifications to them. Would this fall outside the "written within the last year" rule?

Celesta

loves writing :)
Registered
Reaction score
ummm...I wrote something 3 years ago. Last week I modified and polished it. Would that one be acceptable?

Just wondering...why does it have to be written within the last year?

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So if there's way too much great stuff for one issue, what's the odds that it'll be two volumes? ;)

mrongey

Registered
Reaction score
Just logged in for the first time probably in years, and what shows up but this!

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
ummm...I wrote something 3 years ago. Last week I modified and polished it. Would that one be acceptable?

Just wondering...why does it have to be written within the last year?

Go ahead and send it, Celesta.

In answer to your question, though: basically the purpose behind the requirement is that we want to encourage people to be writing new stuff, and submitting new stuff -- not stuff they've already stewed over a million times to no avail but gotten themselves stuck on, and not just sending whatever happens to be laying around forgotten in the bottom of a drawer. It's by writing new stuff that we keep growing as writers.

So if there's way too much great stuff for one issue, what's the odds that it'll be two volumes? ;)
We've got a lot of really excellent stories, but we won't be doing two volumes -- the budget just won't handle it. So what'll happen is what always happens with anthologies: Some really terrific stories will get cut for no better reason than we can't buy 'em all.

But (and this is for everyone who has submitted so far) no one has sent anything appalling. As slush-reading goes, this has been a remarkably painless process so far. We've sent some rejections already -- but all the stories I'm seeing would be quite suitable to submit to most of the semi-pro markets out there. Some of the stories I'm seeing would be perfectly at home in PRO markets, as well.

If you guys aren't submitting? (And you know who you are -- you've written things to me like, "I've never submitted a story before, but...") If you guys aren't submitting, then start.

Last edited:

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
I'm getting more and more excited for this. I hope I get in there, but even if my story doesn't make the cut I'm really looking forward to reading all of the stories from my fellow AW writers :).

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Planning on submitting, although I think I'll only have time for one story. I think the initial writing is done, I just want a beta to peruse it first.
To the beta reader thread!

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score

If you guys aren't submitting? (And you know who you are -- you've written things to me like, "I've never submitted a story before, but...") If you guys aren't submitting, then start.

But, but... I'm scared! :(

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Little Ming, the worst -- the absolute horriblest awfullest worst thing that can possibly happen -- is that someone says no and that piece doesn't get published.

But if you never send it out in the first place, it's about the same difference, right?

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
It's worse, Mac. At least, if you get a "no" you know someone in the publishing industry read it. :)

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
Alright, but don't come crying to me when your eyes start bleeding. :D

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I won't. Promise and Cross my heart. :)

Last edited:

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
The worst that can happen is that you get no response whatever, ever, forever. That's far worse than a simple, "No."

caw

Well, then you can assume that something went wrong and either resubmit, query or try again elsewhere.

and really. Those of us who read slush really like to do it. I love finding good pieces. I get frustrated when I realize that the writer almost has it. and I hate not being able to accept everything

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Just added to the teetering pile, but it's flash, so it shouldn't cause the pile to fall over and crush Mac and Pthom, hopefully! :D

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
I'm closing in on my own submission, amergina. It looks as though it'll hit the pile close to the bitter end, sadly, IF I can grab enough minutes away from the meatspace job to get figure out how the damn thing ends.

:sigh:

Laurathewriter

Registered
Reaction score
I'm closing in on my own submission, amergina. It looks as though it'll hit the pile close to the bitter end, sadly, IF I can grab enough minutes away from the meatspace job to get figure out how the damn thing ends.

:sigh:

Perhaps it ends with a BANG?

Status
Not open for further replies.