Dragon Age 2: Revisited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Right before this past week's first story-based DA2 DLC, "Legacy," was released, I decided to do another play through to see if DA2 still kind of sucks a little.

And, I was actually surprised. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't one of the haters who hated DA2 when it came out simply because it wasn't DA1. I liked the improved combat, improved graphics, improved classes, etc. Didn't really mind that Hawke was limited to just human (rather than elf or dwarf options). I also liked the addition of a voice, which better humanized the character for me.

I did mind that they tried way too hard to "Mass Effect 2-ize" it, especially since the creative team for DA doesn't seem to have the talent that the ME team does. I also found the repetitive maps (both cave and mansion) and repetitive battles (how many times did killer spiders drop out of nowhere?) annoying, and felt that Acts 2 and 3 should've been switched, as the Arishok was as MUCH more interesting character and story than the crap with the Knight Commander...and the fact that we didn't even meet the "main" antagonist (Knight Commander) until the 3rd act proves my point for me.

Having said all of that, I enjoyed this second playthrough a lot more than the first. First time, I played as a mage and romanced Merrill. This time, I played as a rogue, romanced Isabela, gained complete rivalry with Merrill, and finished all of the side quests.

Gotta say, the rogue class in DA2 is pretty much a bad ass. Much more fun for me than the mage. And, when both Duelist and Assassin skill trees are fully upgraded, rogue is a beast. "Assassinate" is a devastating power. Very fun class to play.

Also, even though the overall story was pretty weak (because of the bad structure and missed opportunities), some of the characters were really great. Varric is a highlight of the game. His between character banter on missions is priceless. And, Fenris is a total badass. Isabela was fun, too, but not nearly as interesting as Morrigan from DA:O.

Anders isn't nearly as interesting as he was in DA: Awakenings. First play through I let him live. This play through, I killed him simply for being annoying.

I downloaded the Legacy DLC and enjoyed it. Not sure it's worth $10 but it's very obvious that they took all of the DA2 criticisms to heart. The graphics, landscapes, and maps are beautiful and the new baddies and bosses were varied and challenging.

Anyway, I think most of people's ire would've been avoided if they'd simply called the game, Dragon Age: Kirkwall, and then had a future title be the real DA2, but I don't feel that it sucks as bad as I first thought. It's a good game...not a great game...but still pretty decent.

If future DLCs and the next DA game continue to take the criticisms from fans and critics to heart and really work on the shortcomings, then I'm confident this series will recover and be very strong. Not as strong as the ME series, but it'll be a long time until any game lives up to that standard anyway.

Last edited:

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
Agreed with pretty much everything you said. You summed up how I feel about DA2 from top to bottom.

One thing I loved about Legacy was that it brought the darkspawn (and, in particular, the talking darkspawn introduced in Awakening) back into the equation. The connection between DA:O and DA2 was a little too loose for my taste since they spent so long building up the Blight and the darkspawn problem. However, the fact that this information comes around in DLC (kind of like Arrival for ME) feels like a lot of players will be missing vital plot points for the series.

Her Dark Star

Registered
Reaction score
Was largely unimpressed with DA2, loved a lot of the character interaction, as you say Varric and his banter is a in-game gem. However I did feel that it was basically unfinished. I have my issues with the game mechanics, maps etc but I would happily overlook them for a good story. Unfortunately that was the one thing it completely failed to deliver. Each of the acts was pretty much unrelated, I didn't feel I'd really achieved anything as a character and given that it was supposed to be an epic covering a decade the actual gameplay only really felt like it took place over a couple of days in that span. Was sorely disappointed, it was obvious that they had big plans for it but then only actually developed half of the game before releasing it.
Legacy sounds interesting, but not enough to pay for it. I got all the DA:O dlc as a pack much later and although some of it was fun I was glad I hadn't shelled out for it separately. Awakenings and Leliana's Song were the only one's that really delivered anything.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
DA2 seriously unimpressed me. I played it and the whole thing just felt...hollow and uninspired and empty. The game had no texture or life too it.

It made me a sadly on the ground.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't bought the game, but I did watch an lp of it and DA2 did seem kinda disappointing. The only part of it that they did do right was the companions. They had great personalities and always acted in character. And their side quests didn't seem half bad.

However the story as a whole was very poorly handled. It was just a bunch of small stories without an overarching objective. Though the individual stories could have been good if they were fleshed out a bit more. The one part in particular that stuck out to me as badly done was (spoiler) the death of Hawke's sister. How many times in DAO and DA2 did your party get covered in darkspawn blood? It never effected any of them. But yet walking out of the tunnels, suddenly she get's infected. Really?

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Hawke's remaining sibling (whichever isn't killed by the Ogre in the beginning) doesn't die if you a) don't take them on the Deep Roads quest with you or b) Take Anders with you. He'll make them a Grey Warden so they'll live.

I agree with the overall story weaknesses, though. The companion quests were okay, and several of the characters were good, and I enjoyed the improved game mechanics, but the main plot was very poorly done.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
My problem is how fakey the whole place felt. Fights came out of nowhere and vanished just as quickly in a haze of blood and guts. But this was a world where people reacted with intense trauma at seeing CERTAIN PEOPLE die (like, plot important characters).

I mean, lets contrast that with The Witcher 2.

So, in the Witcher 2, there are fairly constant fights where you *butcher* people. You hack em up, light them on fire, and so on and people barely bat an eye...BUT-

Death is handled that way for *everyone* in the game. There's this really powerful scene where you're trying to get your friends out of being hung, and the executioner casually pushes a random NPC (a thief) off the block and he hangs and everyone treats it as if it were totally normal and not something to worry about.

I...god, this isn't making much sense...but it's...

The way that death is handled in the Witcher 2 - casually, it happens to everyone sorta thing - makes it that much more impactful than trying to have death HAVE impact...while ALSO gleefully slicing people up into tiny giblits.

And on that, I FUCKING HATE GIBBING.

It's a lazy gore effect and it's just...silly. Unless you're hitting someone with a ball of plasma, they're not going to EXPLODE INTO A RED MIST!

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
Zombifying this thread in honor of Halloween...

So, I finally broke down and bought a used copy of DA2. Is there any DLC I should purchase immediately (i.e., that can be played concurrent with the main game)? Or should I finish the game and then get the DLC?

For instance, I thought the St. Crispin's Day gifts (or whatever they were called) in DAO made the game much much easier (I bought that DLC on my fifth or sixth playthru), and I liked having the additional skilltree provided by the Grey Warden's Keep DLC. Anything like that in the DLC of DA2?

Thanks!

froley

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reelthinker.com
I'd say wait and see if you like the game before buying any DLC.

Did anyone else get that glitch where you can't recruit Isabela? If you loot some bodies before a cutscene starts, you just can't complete the quest. Which is bollocks.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
I'd say wait and see if you like the game before buying any DLC.
Words to live by certainly. Yet, even before I started, I purchased the Prince, Legacy and Assassin...Ah, well. At least I seem to be enjoying the game so far. Of course I'm just running around trying to raise enough money to buy into the expedition at this point, but, so far so good.

froley

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reelthinker.com
Ah, it's good you're enjoying it. I wish some of the DLC was free. Because of the Isabela glitch, I only got half a dozen companions/allies. I wish I could've had that Sebastian guy, just for some variety...

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
I was a bit disappointed Legacy and Assassin take me out of the main game. I was hoping they'd be side-by adventures like Knights of the Nine was in Oblivion.

I also actually was initially disappointed by the Sebastion DLC because I thought either I messed it up or it wasn't worth the money. I killed the mercs who murdered his family and he thanked me and just walked off! But over at gaygamers they tell me he returns in Acts 2 and 3--tho apparently he is not a romance option.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
At the beginning of Act 2 he joins your party officially, but by that time he is useless as a lock picker (not enough cunning for the chest level--I actually had to do his entire Act 2 side quest and leave every locked chest unopened!) and can not use a blade (which, in my case, left only my warrior Hawke as a melee fighter). He is "available" as a romance for female Hawkes but apparently will never consumate the affair (according to the Dragon Age Wiki [my Hawke is male, so I can't confirm this]).

Argh, the end of Act 1 pissed me off. SPOILER: I had just gotten Bethany to the point that she could pretty effectively BRITTLE enemies and the game took her away from me! /spoiler.

My advice is to not put any sort of effort into improving Hawke's siblings.

Last edited:

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
Anyway, I think most of people's ire would've been avoided if they'd simply called the game, Dragon Age: Kirkwall
This is sure true. It's like they took DAO and placed the whole thing in Denerim. It's a bit claustrophobic.

I didn't use Fenris until Act 2 and he's died twice already. I made the mistake of relying heavily on Bethany as a healer and, naturally, got screwed by the end of Act One. Now Anders is my only choice. Fortunately he seems to be madly in love with my MC.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Max out Fenris' armor, get him a bad ass sword, and he's a total beast. My favorite "tank" character to use in battle.

froley

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reelthinker.com
If you'd taken Anders on the Deep Roads, apparently you could have prevented that sibling thing. Or if you'd left Bethany behind completely, she never would've... you know. I also didn't realise this until it was too late...

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
If you'd taken Anders on the Deep Roads, apparently you could have prevented that sibling thing. Or if you'd left Bethany behind completely, she never would've... you know. I also didn't realise this until it was too late...
Oh, I had Anders and he did get her to friends, but she's still no longer available as a healer...!
Max out Fenris' armor, get him a bad ass sword, and he's a total beast. My favorite "tank" character to use in battle.
He certainly does like to charge in. A couple of times I couldn't figure out where the enemy had appeared and just followed him to them. And he's doing better now that our rivalry is nearly 100%.

Last edited:

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
No matter what happens (sibling dies, becomes Grey Warden, or joins The Circle), Hawke's sister/brother isn't available after the Deep Roads Expedition. Nothing you can do to change that, unfortunately.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
The end of act two was very exciting, altho I admit I did not take out the Arishok on the first try (I'm going to claim it was because I had all my looting equipment on rather than my fighting equipment).

Good thing I followed Alistair's wishes and didn't make him king.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
That Arishok battle was a nightmare for me. The rest of the game was a cakewalk.
I spent a lot of time running back and forth between the two pillars. The stamina thing was the worst--warriors only regain stamina when they kill and, it being a one-on-one duel, there was no one to kill...I never bought stamina potions because it had never been a problem before. Fortunately I'd mindlessly accumulated about a dozen and they saw me through the fight. Also, despite the fact that I almost always side with the mages (hence, the Anders love and the Fenris rivalry), I chose Templar as my first upgrade and none of those skills helped much against the Arishok.

I really miss the big Dolores Stroke animations from DAO. I was expecting something special to happen at the conclusion of the fight, but the Arishok's death was pretty yawn.

And Isabella...I never used her of course--I figured those ENORMOUS boobs would get in the way in a fight--so naturally she is now gone for good too.
Also, you're blasting through the game very quickly. You must be enjoying it!
And I've managed to do it without calling in sick to work! Well, there was the weekend.

Last edited:

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Took a while for me to beat him as a mage. Was a rogue my second play through and enjoyed it much more. The boss fight with him was still tough, but I'd maxed out my "assassinate" skill tree, which is a devastating power, and was able to beat him much more easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.