Amazon Shopping Spree -- Recommendations?

Katallina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathyanncoleman.blogspot.com
I'm about half way through taking notes on what needs editing in Moon Dance. (Yay!) Once I'm done, I plan to write a revised outline. But before I take that and start to work on it, I'm planning a fairly big Amazon order next month and I'm looking for some recommendations. (Writers should be readers first, and all that jazz. :D)

Fiction:

I tend to read romance, mostly urban fantasy and paranormal. (both adult and YA). So I'm always up for suggestions in these categories. It's also what I tend to write. (Big surprise there.)

I'm always looking to broaden my reading horizons if something catches my interest, though. (For instance by trying something contemporary, or historical, or sci-fi, etc.) I feel that this is an important part of growing as a writer and a useful way to recharge the creative batteries. :tongue

I'm also looking for a few references:

-- I took a look at the thread on helpful writing books and am planning to pick up Self Editing for Fiction Writers.

-- I would also like to pick up some form of book about grammar / style as well and recommendations in this area would be welcome. (I'm totally lost there. I know a lot of people seem to feel The Elements of Style is good, but I'm not sure if that is The Book or whether what book you pick for this is chosen for different reasons. Help?)

-- Mythology* (Seeking Greek, Norse, Egyptian, Celtic, etc. Recommendations are very welcome.)

-- Fairytales and folktales* (Yet again, I like lots of different cultures and I am mostly seeking to find the most useful / best written versions of these.)

*The reason I need to buy this stuff is that my mythology and fairytale books got ruined because they were in the lower part of a bookcase when our basement (computer room...) flooded. I figure if I'm rebuying then I might as well be smart about it.

Don't misunderstand ... I do have some ideas for books that I might grab. (I've had a look at the fantastic lists in the YA forum, for example.) I'm only skipping on a list because this is already pretty long. Let me know if you're curious, though. :D

Anyway, thanks for your time. Have a great day!

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You probably want a larger book on grammar and style to study, but a handy paperback guide is Essential English Grammar by Philip Gucker (it's like five or six USD on Amazon). It's nice to have nearby, without having to wag out one of those five-pound grammar textbooks.

I can't remember the title of it offhand, but I've read a book on folktales and myths of different cultures from all around the world. At the time I read it I was mostly interested in the stories told by the Cherokee Indians. Of course, there is always Bulfinch's Mythology.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It Was The Best of Sentences, It Was The Worst Of Sentences (instead of Elements of Style)
The Mahabharata by RK Narayan (mythology of awesomeness)
The Good Fairies of New York (UF)
Lud-In-The-Mist (super old-timey UF)
Farthing (alternate history, but written by a fantasy author)
Lord of Light (fantasy, but secretly SF)
Creatures of Light and Darkness (more of same but with Egyptian mythology instead of Hindu/Buddhist)
The Forever War (SF that is really awesome)
Who Fears Death (your brain will explode)
Zoo City (South African UF)

Mutive

Blissfully Clueless
Registered
Reaction score
I liked the Writer's Digest guide to Novel Writing (as well as Self-Editing...that one was golden).

There's lots of good stuff in myths and legends, although which ones/areas specifically? A good translation of the Iliad/Odyssey is a must for Greek myth lovers who don't have one (I loved the Lombardo translation).

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Hannah Howell writes good paranormal romance along with historicals.

Jess Haines

Boldly going nowhere in particular.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jesshaines.com
I could write a laundry list of UF/PNR recommendations. Here's a few to start:

Fever series by Karen Marie Moning
Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher
Hollows series by Kim Harrison
Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris
DRAGON BOUND by Thea Harrison
Succubus Diaries series by Jill Myles
A BRUSH OF MAGIC by Allison Pang
Night Huntress series by Jeaniene Frost
Dreg City series by Kelly Meding
Amanda Feral series by Mark Henry
I've forgotten the title of the series, but the first book by Jeannie Holmes was pretty good, and the sequel recently released or is coming out soon.
Percy Parker series by Leanna Renee Hieber is lovely, too.

Then, ya know, there's always my books... ;)

I'm sure there are others I could rec if you want me to keep going. I'll see if I can think up any books to rec for reference, too.