"Portal Fantasy" Getting your characters to the Otherworld

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emote Control

Registered
Reaction score
The portals are always there, but most of us can't see them ... sounds like IKEA.

Emote Control

Registered
Reaction score
More thoughts -- if you make it a real "portal", as in a gateway, you have to explain why the characters don't just walk back through. Very few modern people would leave the world of pizza and cell phones behind to enter a medieval setting, no matter how bad their lives might be here. There is also the problem that they have every possible reason to return to our world, because they can come back with scientists to study the world, and reality television crews to document it and make lots of money.

If the characters are somehow brought to the world by its inhabitants, you must explain:

1) Why the inhabitants went through the effort to bring the Earthlings, since I doubt travelling between worlds is simple or easy. Do the Earthlings have magical powers not present in the natives, or special skills?

2) *Why* your characters will help the inhabitants. If the locals want the Earthlings to save the world, they need to somehow reward the Earthlings -- the Earthlings won't even have known the fantasy world existed until a few minutes beforehand, they've got no dog in the fight against the Dark Lord or whoever.

If the summoners won't send the Earthlings back until the Dark Lord is defeated, this raises the issue of why the Earthlings would work with someone who is effectively blackmailing them -- and any Dark Lord worthy of the name will be perilous to fight. Why should the Earthlings risk their lives?

Canotila

Sever your leg please.
Registered
Reaction score
More thoughts -- if you make it a real "portal", as in a gateway, you have to explain why the characters don't just walk back through. Very few modern people would leave the world of pizza and cell phones behind to enter a medieval setting, no matter how bad their lives might be here. There is also the problem that they have every possible reason to return to our world, because they can come back with scientists to study the world, and reality television crews to document it and make lots of money.

That's not a problem. It's a story premise.

I haven't read it yet, but Heroes Die by Matthew Woodring Stover does that exact thing.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
I'm not aware of any cliches surrounding portals, except maybe don't use a wardrobe closet as your rabbit hole.
Oh -- and don't use a rabbit hole.

Remember those big toy tops, you'd sort of pump them to make them spin faster and faster? Don't use one of those, 'cause Clifford Simak already did.

What I would do (what I will do, when I get around to writing a story featuring some kind of portal) is to have some idea in your mind -- whether or not it's ever, ever stated or explained in the book -- as to exactly what the hell is actually happening, in terms of physics. Doesn't have to be plausible in terms of known science, so long as it can fit into some kind of consistent imaginary science.

Then work from there to figure out what it would look like, what the experience would be like.

wyndmaker

Registered
Reaction score
You are the creator so create away. Use whatever device, or devices that are germane to the story. You don't have to do what others have done, be as original as possible.

TS Tate

Registered
Reaction score
Man I maybe alone in this but I love Portal Fantasy, probably because it was a favorite daydream/game for me when I was a kid ;).I was FOREVER looking for a portal to another dimension/reality/wonderland/Oz, never found it though. *sigh*

I'd say though in general look at the setting and the rules of your world and the magic (if magic exists) and then use them to your advantage. The mirror thing has been done to death yes, as does "dying" in our world and waking up in another. But I'm a firm believer of, if it's written well enough, it can work no matter how many times done.

One of my favorite series by Amanda Hemingway has the main character with the ability to dream walk, he dreams himself, vaguely insubstantial, ghost like, unable to touch or effect anything, dream himself to a dying world in another dying universe in another dimension, he has absolutely no control over this and each time he goes he gets more and more substantial. Which therein increases the danger because on this world you can't go out in the sun without being burned to near death and he can't dream himself a radiation suit lol.

Magical artifacts are a good way to go, an easy way, I'd try to find a reason for this device or artifact to have this power though, it'd take a lot of power to litterally pull you across dimensional boundaries. There's also holidays! Remember on certain times of the year supposedly the "boundaries" between realms are at their weakest, this could be a good way for the main character to, in a certain spot, stumble upon a portal to another universe. Perhaps using a fairy mound, or sacred places. If you research the concept of a Vortex, that's a good way as well. Natural boundaries between places, if your character is magic is a good way too, doorways, entry ways, trees, rivers, lakes, if your character has magic or is being summoned.

[EDIT] Didn't even think of it! In His Dark Materials series, hippty-hopping across time and space (and I think this was used once in Doctor Who as well, it's not rarely seen) punctured holes in reality and was a severe threat and only created more problems and conflicts. This is a trope that's never used and it could be a good source of tension or conflict OP. Is there away for you to use the "downfalls" you've thought of to your advantage in the course of the story without them overtaking your existing plot already?
I'm terrible for not responding to your very thoughtful, in depth response. As a Whovian I adore the concept of "time punching." I think that would make a fantastic aspect of conflict in any story. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.