The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Editor] Labelle's Writing on the Wall (Lynnette Labelle)

practical experience, FTW mmallico's Avatar

[Editor] Labelle's Writing on the Wall (Lynnette Labelle)

http://labelleseditorialservices.com/

Another writing coach/ editor

I don't know if anyone has any experience with her or not. She seems pretty new, so I don't know if she is conning, incompetent or just naive. Her credentials don't seem that impressive, but here they are. This is all from her website.

Lynnette Labelle is a certified copyeditor and proofreader with over ten years of experience, and is the editor of RWA Online’s newsletter LoveBytes. She spent many years teaching kindergarten to grade eight, but especially enjoyed instructing the junior high students how to write short stories and poems. After studying writing for children and teens through The Institute of Children’s Literature, taking Advanced Creative Writing in university, participating in dozens of writing workshops, and reading far too many “how to write” books to count, Lynnette has a great understanding of the craft of writing. She knows the typical mistakes beginner writers and some published authors make that keep them from either getting published or moving further up the publishing ladder. Her background in writing, teaching, copyediting, and proofreading makes her an excellent choice as a mentor. Her assistance and services have helped writers on their journey to publication.

Here are her rates.

Manuscript Evaluation Report: $ 0.02/word (full manuscript only)
    Manuscript Proofreading Package 1: $ 0.01/word
    Manuscript Proofreading Package 2: $ 0.0125/word (1 ¼ cents/word)
    Manuscript Proofreading Package 3: $ 0.015/word (1 ½ cents/word)
    Manuscript Developmental Copyediting: $ 0.02 – 0.04/word (depending on the level of editing required)
    The Beginner Package: This service is in two stages. You’ll be charged the full amount for stage 1 (the manuscript evaluation report), and a 10% discount will be later applied in stage 2 against both amounts.
    Fiction Writing Coaching: $45/hour
    By the Lesson: Short lessons are $15 each and long lessons are $25 each.
    Fees for all other services are calculated on a per project basis. Ask for a quote today.
    *Full payment due in advance. Payment plans are available. Ask for details.

but appreciated anyway... Unimportant's Avatar
    Most people offering substantive/developmental editing services limit themselves to the genres they have a lot of experience in. Ms Labelle seems to be offering her services for all genres of fiction and nonfiction, which makes me uneasy.

2 cents/word for an evaluation of a 100K word manuscript works out to $2000. That's a heck of a lot of money -- and for that, I'd want someone whose name I recognise in my genre (e.g., for fantasy, Nicola Griffith or Debra Doyle). She seems to have worked in the romance genre but that isn't likely to make her an expert in science fiction or nonfiction.

I don't know this person, and am not familiar with her work, so can't comment on her or her website.

Two comments I feel I can make:

1) I think Unimportant makes an excellent point--when looking for a manuscript evaluation or freelance editing or book doctoring or anything similar, a minimum requirement should be that the person you're working with should have professional-level experience in the specific markets in which you hope to publish.

So if your goal is publishing, say, a self-help book with a Big Six New York publisher, the person with whom you are going to invest a bunch of money should have the experience of publishing their own self-help book with a Big Six house, or of being an editor of self-help books at a Big Six house.

2) Here's a page giving the suggested compensation rates for members of the US's largest professional organization for freelance editors.

So as you might or might not have read in some of my earlier posts, I do freelance editing. It's a big part of my income. But as you might or might not remember, I generally suggest that it's neither a necessary nor a wise investment for most people who want to be professional writers, because self-editing is one of the key tools in a writer's toolkit. (Most of the manuscripts I work on are by people who have other primary occupations, and who don't have the time or interest to focus on writing as a career--for example, cookbooks by chefs whose primary focus is their restaurant{s}.)

No, I will make a third comment, and I will just say that the "Beginner Package" seems like a large investment of money to me. Given a 100,000-word manuscript as the hypothetical, I will tell you that I don't necessarily make that for doing a full edit of a manuscript that's been referred to me by an agent (on behalf of an already signed client, of course). And I don't work cheap.
    Last edited by IceCreamEmpress; 07-28-2011 at 08:43 AM.

Find me at
    BookTweeting on Twitter
    for a book review a day, every day!
    JUST LAUNCHED:
    EbookCheapskate,
    where you'll find reviews of
    free and cheap ebooks (under $5 US)!

Quote Originally Posted by mmallico View Post

Lynnette Labelle is a certified copyeditor and proofreader with over ten years of experience, and is the editor of RWA Online’s newsletter LoveBytes.
    I can't comment on anything else but all the editing that the job involves is picking articles from the RWA Editorlink yahoo group. It may have changed but I doubt all the articles are new from the Chapter's members.

To be honest I can't think why anyone with as much editing experience as she has would even mention that as an editing job.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    I want to thank the four people who commented here because they brought to my attention the need to change a few things on my website. After giving it some thought, I’ve reduced the rate for the Manuscript Evaluation Report to $0.01/word.

Unimportant said: Most people offering substantive/developmental editing services limit themselves to the genres they have a lot of experience in. Ms Labelle seems to be offering her services for all genres of fiction and nonfiction, which makes me uneasy.

My reply: Actually, I’ve researched many, many freelance editors and haven’t found this to be the case. There were very few of them who listed the genres they focused on. However, since I do specialize, I’ve now added that to my website. I proofread any genre including non-fiction manuscripts, but for developmental copyediting, I specialize in children’s books, YA, and all subgenres of romance, except historical.

There’s no reason why I shouldn’t or can’t proofread any genre. Proofreading isn’t the same as developmental copyediting, where I look at the plot, characters, etc… To be clear, I don’t do developmental copyediting on non-fiction books, nor do I fact-check. The only services I offer for non-fiction clients are my three proofreading packages.

Since I felt there was some question about my pricing, let’s make a few comparisons.

Here is part of the Editorial Freelancers Association’s editorial rate guideline taken from their site: http://www.the-efa.org/res/rates.php I didn’t see a need to include indexing or other services I don’t offer.

“Common editorial rates —regardless of whether a project is flat rate or hourly— tend to fall within the ranges indicated below. These should be used only as a rough guideline; rates vary considerably depending on the nature of the work, the time frame of the assignment, the degree of special expertise required, and other factors. The industry standard for a manuscript page, however, is a firm 250 words.”

Type of Work Estimated Pace Range of Fees

Copyediting, basic 5-10 pgs/hr $30-40/hr
    Copyediting, heavy 2-5 ms pgs/hr $40-50/hr
    Developmental editing 1-5 pgs/hr $60-80/hr

It’s hard to make an exact comparison because I charge by the word and the Editorial Freelancers Association is quoting by the hour, so I’ll break this down a little. What the EFA is calling basic copyediting is what I call proofreading. Their guideline states I could charge $30-40/hour for 5-10 pages. Since my rate is $0.01/word, calculate that out as 5-10 pages and I charge from $12.50 up to $25.

What they’re calling heavy copyediting is what I classify as my proofreading package #3. Their recommendation is to charge $40-50/hour. If we compare my rate at 1 1/2 cents/word ($0.015/word) and calculate that out using the amount of pages they claim could be completed in an hour, I charge from $7.50 up to $18.75.

With developmental copyediting, I also line edit. Their recommendation for developmental copyediting is $60-80/hour for 1-5 pages/hour. I have a range from $0.02 up to $0.04/word, so 1-5 pages in this range would be from $5 up to $50.

I believe my rates are reasonable but competitive as well.

Para said: I can't comment on anything else but all the editing that the job involves is picking articles from the RWA Editorlink yahoo group. It may have changed but I doubt all the articles are new from the Chapter's members. To be honest I can't think why anyone with as much editing experience as she has would even mention that as an editing job.

My reply: I actually didn’t add my editorial position with the RWA chapter as “an editing job”. I’m sorry if it comes across that way. While I do some editing in this position, para is right. Most of the work consists of picking articles to place in the newsletter. I added this to my bio because I felt it showed my interest and involvement in Romance Writers of America since romance is one of the areas in which I specialize.

Thank you again for bringing this to my attention. Feedback from the writing community plays an important role in developing and improving my business, so I appreciate your input.

Lynnette Labelle
    www.labelleseditorialservices.com

Ms. Labelle, I appreciate your taking the time to respond here in such detail.

As a colleague, I am still of the opinion that ca. $5,000 is a lot to charge for a "developmental copyedit" of a 100,000 word manuscript, but obviously that decision is up to you and your clients. (I should add that I don't seek work here--in fact, when people from the site have asked me to edit their work I have referred them to other freelance editors--so this is not me trying to underbid your pricing!)

Best of luck with your business.

Find me at
    BookTweeting on Twitter
    for a book review a day, every day!
    JUST LAUNCHED:
    EbookCheapskate,
    where you'll find reviews of
    free and cheap ebooks (under $5 US)!