New document format that might tip the scales

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
No; it's a special. The .edu discount is nifty though.

And the App store hasn't upgraded to BBEdit 10 yet, but I am salivating.

It's the one app I use the most, more than email, more than a Web browser.

Yeah, I saw the sale and that the update would be free (bless the app store), so I went for it. Even the regular price on the app store is a helluvalot cheaper than I remember it being last time I checked, though. It'll probably be a while before I get around to a project that I can use it, though, but I figure I might as well get it while it's (relatively) cheap.

fivetoesten

Registered
Reaction score
an epub is a zip renamed. copy it, rename it, move it to its own directory, unzip, and look around. I've made a few epubs by hand, and got fancy enough to even embed a font (Prociono is a public domain font that looks great on the nook's e-ink display).

An epub zip archive has to include certain folders and a few odd files (meta.inf, etc), but if you can do html it's not bad at all.

Deleted member 42

Yeah, I saw the sale and that the update would be free (bless the app store), so I went for it. Even the regular price on the app store is a helluvalot cheaper than I remember it being last time I checked, though. It'll probably be a while before I get around to a project that I can use it, though, but I figure I might as well get it while it's (relatively) cheap.

Do.

There's now, as in the last five years, another fairly popular Mac OS X text editor—I can't remember the name, which is terribly Freudian—but registering/buying at this level locks you in for cheap updates.

I've tried The Other Text Editor, and people I really trust and respect like it—but I couldn't figure it out. I note that I mostly do HTML/CSS/Javascript/Unix shell stuff, so someone engaging in Objective C etc. will likely feel different.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
It would definitely need good authoring tools.

This is the authoring tool: http://www.wolfram.com/mathematica/

It is available for Windows, Mac, and Linux. One of the things that makes the PDF so prolific is that you do not need Adobe Acrobat or Acrobat Distiller to make them. If Wolfram is serious about making CDF a global standard format like the PDF, then they need to open the format to everyone who wants to make authoring software. My gut tells me that an authoring tool made by Adobe, or integrated into the Adobe CS, would be better than what Wolfram has to offer. However, since CDF is being marketed as a rival to the PDF, this seems doubtful.

PDF is an ISO standard and its specification document is huge (and there are supplements to it). Still, this openness is one of the things that has made it so successful.

Last edited: