Non-functioning keyboard keys (solution)

DiloKeith

Doesn't scare easily
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dilokeith.wordpress.com
I wanted to share a very useful thing I just learned. (The computer is running Win XP, in case that matters.) I had all the info typed, so here's a screen shot:

attachment.php

I'm also getting a new keyboard. Cleaning didn't help, and even if this one can be fixed, I could use another. There might have been something else I could have tried. It's three numbers at the top, print screen and scroll lock. I can get numbers on the right, but I need those other two keys frequently.

Deleted member 42

When you say "cleaning" did you gently pry off the key cap, and clean underneath?

If you did, did you check that the "scissors" mechanism was correctly attached and functioning? (Do the same, gently, with a functioning key so you can compare the mechanism.)

If you tap the little post or round knob in the center, does the key respond correctly?

If it does, you need a new scissors mechanism, or you need to properly attach the current one.

DiloKeith

Doesn't scare easily
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dilokeith.wordpress.com
When you say "cleaning" did you gently pry off the key cap, and clean underneath?

If you did, did you check that the "scissors" mechanism was correctly attached and functioning? (Do the same, gently, with a functioning key so you can compare the mechanism.)

If you tap the little post or round knob in the center, does the key respond correctly?

If it does, you need a new scissors mechanism, or you need to properly attach the current one.

Yes to gently prying off. No visible difference in accumulated debris. This is the dome type, not scissors, so there is no separate mechanism for each key.

Thanks!