AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Arc Manor Publishers / Phoenix Pick

USA Today Bestselling Author Jamiekswriter's Avatar

Arc Manor Publishers / Phoenix Pick

Hi guys,

I saw this article from Yahoo a few days ago:

http://news.yahoo.com/best-selling-fiction-authors-sign-publishing-project-assisting-070446805.html

Anyone have any experience with these guys? It looks like they've got some big names on board: Resnick, Lackey & Anderson.

They say they're an imprint of Arc Manor, but I haven't heard much about them either. Thoughts?

http://www.phoenixpick.com/
    Last edited by Jamiekswriter; 07-26-2011 at 06:40 PM. Reason: added link :D

Sounds good in principle (or at least interesting), but I find the Phoenix Pick website very off-putting. A fact which would put me off submitting to them.

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Phoenix Pick bought two of my OP novels, and re-published them earlier this year in TP and ebook format. I got a small advance. Till this new program, they've been a backlist publisher, working only with established authors and authors' estates.

I haven't received my first royalty statement yet, so I don't know how sales are going, but they've been great to work with so far. The contract is reasonable, they're extremely open to negotiation, they're prompt and responsive with communication, and they do a pretty good job with formatting and design. They're a small press, so there's not a big marketing budget, but they attend cons and are plugged in to the SF/F community.

I agree about the website--it put me off a bit too the first time I visited it. I don't have any complaints about anything else, though.

- Victoria

USA Today Bestselling Author Jamiekswriter's Avatar
    Cool! Thanks for the information!

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Adding link to parent: http://www.arcmanor.com/
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

A wanderer in the sea of publishing Michael Drakich's Avatar
    I was curious and went to both websites, Phoenix Pick & Arc Manor. Both sites offer no details regarding taking on any new authors. There is a link to contact them but all it does is bring up an email box to send a message to their administration.

I saw Victoria's book in the line up and was wondering how they can offer it for a lower price than the Amazon list as the Amazon contract allows them to price match any competitive site's lower price.