AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Promotion] Cold Coffee Press (formerly Books In Sync)

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

[Promotion] Cold Coffee Press (formerly Books In Sync)

I found this sites while searching the web for places to promote my books. Has anybody ever heard or used them before?

http://www.booksinsync.com/booksinsync.html

http://authormeetingplace.com/amphome.html

practical experience, FTW Sargentodiaz's Avatar

Cool

Books in Synch says it has a $50 annual renewal rate but I couldn't find the initial amount they want.

I've never seen them referred to in a book search so wonder just what they're offering for $$$$$

Author's meeting place is free and has a forum. But, the forum links are in a weird green I couldn't read so I couldn't join.
    Father Serra's Legacy - Fun facts and tidbits of California and Baja California

Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    Moving to BR&BC from Book Promotion.

Hi Cindy,

Welcome to AW! Thanks for posting.

Could you please just explain to me why I'm getting emails from you offering promotional services? How did I end up on your list, I mean.

The email also asks me to send you a "book excerpt" in order to be "considered for membership." What are the membership criteria, then, based on the excerpts? Why am I getting the emails unsolicited if I am not considered already worthy of membership--meaning, why was it sent to ME, specifically, if I may not be qualified? Approximately what percentage of excerpt do you receive that do not qualify? Should the excerpt be from published or unpublished work? Do you rely solely on the excerpt, or do you ask to read the entire thing if the excerpt passes your initial judging phase (what if the excerpt is great but the rest of the book is awful, or as Miss Snark said, aliens turn up in chapter fourteen)?

Thanks in advance!
    http://www.staciakane.com

FIVE DOWN, a Downside anthology, available now!
    Four previously published short stories and one brand new novella, together in one volume.

Click here for more details.

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

A Gentleman of a refined age... thothguard51's Avatar
    The below is copied from the about us page and still gives me no clue as to what the initial pirice is, what BIS does for that price. Most of the information appears to be a generic sale pitch, in my humble opinion of course...

Quote Originally Posted by BooksInSync View Post
    Hello,

My name is Cindy Bauer and I represent Books In Sync. Welcome Cindy and thank you for stopping by...

First let me clarify that Books In Sync and Authors Meeting Place are in no way connected. Books In Sync has been in business for over 5 years now.

Thank you...

Books In Sync and Cold Coffee was created for the purpose of bringing extra online exposure to our authors and their books. Cold Coffee is our social arm that allows our authors to communicate with their readers, other authors, etc. There is an initial fee for building your author's page and renewal is much less per year. Plus, you can add new books at any time during your year contract for mere pennies.

What is the initial fee. Does it vary by word count, book, day of week, religious beliefs or if you guys got a lap dance the night before? This information is very vague...

As authors ourselves, we understand how difficult it is to write, publish and promote your work. This is why Books In Sync was founded and continues to grow at a rapid pace as one of the best promotional services available on the internet.

One of the best promotional services available, but yet in five years I have not once run across your site in a search. Also, remember this paragraph for later...

Our goal is to bring readers and authors together, thereby boosting book sales and improving authors' one-on-one relationship with their potential readers. Our Cold Coffee Writer's Magazine features our authors, their books, and award recipients, plus it's a great way to promote authors and their books.

How do you promote Cold Coffee outside of your own web site so more readers than writers can find this magazine.

The magazine includes short stories, poems and photo contributions from our authors, plus new book releases, book reviews, interviews, our author's pet photos, and more! This is a hard copy magazine published quarterly and is also available in e-format.

Who do the book reviews and interviews. In house or independent reviewers? And where are these reviews placed that the average reader can find?

Books In Sync stays competitive by keeping our site and amount of authors selectively small, which enables us to focus more productively on promoting our authors and their books. We consistently look for new ways to market our authors and their books and we have several Service Providers who can assist them with various publishing needs on an individual basis.

And there it is, a contradiction to the earlier statement of rapidly expanding. Small is also objective. What is small to BIS?

Also, where do you promote your authors and their books. I have never seen a promotion by BIS.

To provide more security for our authors, we do not post email addresses. Avid readers can learn more about an author and their book(s) by visiting the author's page in our Author Directory. The author's page includes information about the book, book reviews, book trailers, excerpts, purchase links, etc.

Most of the information and reviews are provided by the authors and do not appear to be something BIS is providing. Self published authors get to provide the same information on their authors page on Amazon or Smashwords and they do not have to pay extra for that. So once again, how is BIS benefiting the author for the fee charged?

Search for quality books in the Reader’s Café.

Quality is subjective. How is RC vetting the books they consider quality?

Extra Off-Site Promotion For Books In Sync Authors: After you become a member of Books In Sync you can purchase extra online (off-site) promotional packages. Your promotion is custom designed around you and your book using your ‘Books In Sync Promotional Release’.

Purchase extra of-site promotional packages? So, if it cost extra to have BIS promote off their own site, then all promotion from the initial cost and yearly $50 fee is for the BIS site. This is rather limiting in that in the five years you claim to have been in business, I have never heard of you, or seen a review, or advertisement featuring a BIS author.

Books In Sync/Cold Coffee Management

Email: promotionalservices@booksinsync.com
    I visited the site and from what it looks like to me is that BIS takes anyone who can pay whatever the initial fee is and the yearly renewal fee. From the books I have seen on the site, and none I recognise, it appears they are not choosy.

Hell, pay me and I'll list your book on my website. Its about the same but I'll do it for cheaper...

Sorry, I don't see what BIS is doing for the initial fee, whatever it is, that a self published writer can't do for their self and save the money to get a somewhat professional looking cover.

But that is just my opinion and if BIS can clarify some of my questions, then maybe I would feel better...
    Knowledge is learned while wisdom is earned.

Currently working on...

From, The Tales of Netherron,
    Book 1, A Game of Pawns
    Book 2, Pawn takes Queen,
    Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,
    Children of Netherron, follow up trilogy
    Guardians of Netherron, prequel trilogy

http://nickanthony51.wordpress.com (on hiatus)

Nick Anthony

A Gentleman of a refined age... thothguard51's Avatar
    Stacy, I am not sure why they would contact you with the type of stories you write. From their Legal notice page...

Books In Sync, Cold Coffee And Books In Sync Cold Coffee (hard copy) Writer’s Magazine and E-Magazine (e-book) Is Family Oriented. As of November 2011 Books In Sync will no longer accept books, book covers, book trailers or offer a promotional contract to an author that uses the occult, eroticism and the promotion of illegal activities.

Reading their legal notices, I have to wonder who wrote it? Reads more like a tech notice than a writers/publishers notice. I especially do not like this part...

If you decide to leave Books In Sync at the time of your annual renewal, Books In Sync reserves the right to hide your Author's Page. Due to the amount of time and work involved in removing promotions and links, Books In Sync reserves the right to leave your promotional campaign active. If we delete the page, it creates dead links which harm our search engine ratings. So instead of deletion we simply put a note on your page stating: “This Page Is Not Available For Public Viewing At This Time”. Keeping of this page enable you to return at any time.

The only pricing I have found, other than the $50. a year renewal fee, is a $100 a year fee for the service providers to be listed. No where on the site can I find a set or standard fee to join or what the fees are to have your work listed online other than on BIS. And the only other place I have found BIS is on Scrib'ed. Which any author could do for themselves...

Sure would like to hear again from Cindy Bauer or someone from BIS to clarify what the prices and services are...

This site seems more geared towards writers than readers, which is always puzzling to me about a display site that claim to work to get the writers book out there...
    Knowledge is learned while wisdom is earned.

Currently working on...

From, The Tales of Netherron,
    Book 1, A Game of Pawns
    Book 2, Pawn takes Queen,
    Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,
    Children of Netherron, follow up trilogy
    Guardians of Netherron, prequel trilogy

http://nickanthony51.wordpress.com (on hiatus)

Nick Anthony

but appreciated anyway... Unimportant's Avatar
    What is the point of a writer paying to have his books promoted to other writers via a writer's magazine?

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Quote Originally Posted by Unimportant View Post
    What is the point of a writer paying to have his books promoted to other writers via a writer's magazine?
    I have been wondering about this too.

However, I do know one author who signed up and her sales for her promoted book have done extremely well. That said, I know others who have not seen much of a bump in sales, so who know?

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Has reorganized under the name Cold Coffee Press. http://www.coldcoffeepress.com/
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: