Getting domain name

Mt. Dew Addict

Oh my...I'm a big girl now...eep?
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm wanting suggestions for where to register a domain name. I have hosting through a family member, but I want my own domain. I'd prefer not GoDaddy, but I'm not sure what else is out there. Many of the sites I've Googled look a bit iffy.

Thx!

sameerjoad

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Website
indiebookoftheday.com
I recommend you to try Namecheap. I use them for all my domain names. And they also have a free whois guard protection service. Let me know if you need some coupons for them, i can probably look up something.

SamBeasley

Bawdy Little Monkey
Registered
Reaction score
+1 for namecheap. I get all my domains through them now. I used to get them through godaddy, but the free whois guard from namecheap is nice. Plus, having a problem with godaddy's hosting terms, I try to use pretty much anyone **but** them for anything now.

Deleted member 42

I'd avoid Network Solutions; they are the grandfather but they are far too expensive.

I've used Just 15 Bucks Domains (http://www.just15buckdomains.com/) for a long time, and it's been very easy to deal with them, online and on the phone. The URL above will redirect to a secure payment site; don't be worried.

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
I'd avoid Network Solutions; they are the grandfather but they are far too expensive.

I've used Just 15 Bucks Domains (http://www.just15buckdomains.com/) for a long time, and it's been very easy to deal with them, online and on the phone. The URL above will redirect to a secure payment site; don't be worried.

This.

sameerjoad

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Website
indiebookoftheday.com

wow those are some pretty damn expensive domain names. Why do you use them? You could easily get a .com for $9 or so from Namecheap with free whois or even cheaper from Godaddy.

There is a reason why godaddy or namecheap are well known, its reliability and of course large proven customer base.

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
wow those are some pretty damn expensive domain names. Why do you use them? You could easily get a .com for $9 or so from Namecheap with free whois or even cheaper from Godaddy.

There is a reason why godaddy or namecheap are well known, its reliability and of course large proven customer base.

I don't know name cheap but godaddy isn't really that reliable in my experience. Customer service is horrible.

indiriverflow

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.blues4kali.com
I also use and recommend Namecheap. I extensively researched the field before choosing them, and have never regretted it after five years. Look for a coupon code; you'll save even more. July is DOTHOT. If you wait till August you'll need a new one.

I have used GoDaddy and agree that they are awful. I had to cancel my account to get rid of the spam. Under NO circumstances should you use Network Solutions; they are a scam.

On another point, I also highly recommend that you choose a .com TLD, as you will otherwise have issues with people incorrectly typing it in. Select the shortest available name which relates to your work. This may take a little creativity, since most short names are already taken, but don't be tempted to sacrifice the universality of .com in favor of the name you want. For example, my title was taken by a domain squatter, so I added "book" to the name and am fairly satisfied.
Remember to make it easy to spell, remember and pronounce, in case you get radio exposure or are able to verbally promote it by word-of-mouth.

I do not believe in "author" websites, especially for relatively new writers who are not well-known. Each book should get a unique domain in my opinion. A site devoted to your topic is a good idea as well, as it gives you opportunities to advertise to a targeted audience.

Last edited:

fivetoesten

Registered
Reaction score
I use directnic, but nearlyfreespeech.net (a webhost) registers domains for 9 bucks a year. Others must as well.

bonitakale

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bkedits.com
I used Dotster for name registering a long time ago, and just stuck with them, though they aren't the cheapest anymore. No problems that I've noticed. I've got two names there (bonitakale.com and bkedits.com), and get the actual sites through another place.

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
I use
name.com
namecheap.com

godaddy sucks with registering.

Mt. Dew Addict

Oh my...I'm a big girl now...eep?
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone! I think I have enough here to make a decision. Much appreciated.

Alley1958

Registered
Reaction score
Even though I'm not ready to start a website, I decided to purchase a domain name. I actually bought three as I'm not sure what name I'll be using. I purchased them through GoDaddy. Am I correct in assuming that even though I registered them through GoDaddy that I don't have to use them as my web host?

From what I'm reading about their web hosting, I'm not sure I want to use them. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Deleted member 42

From what I'm reading about their web hosting, I'm not sure I want to use them. Any advice would be appreciated.

No, you don't have to use them as a host, and I strongly recommend not using the same company for registration and hosting.

There are a lot of good hosts; you might want to look for a smaller, local company near you even if it costs a little more since often smaller means more support.

Alley1958

Registered
Reaction score
No, you don't have to use them as a host, and I strongly recommend not using the same company for registration and hosting.

There are a lot of good hosts; you might want to look for a smaller, local company near you even if it costs a little more since often smaller means more support.

Thanks! That clears that up for me. When the time comes, I'll definitely look for a different host.