You'll have to read this to believe it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
So, I went away and had a think about this, and re read all the cached posts before I posted anything on this.

I don't feel that there is any malice there on Aaronni's part, I feel, from her posts on this and previous posts, that she's just been the victim of something very cruel.

A lot of people called into question the times - a matter of days from SP to agent to book deal, and, when looking at it from the outside it's easy to see how things don't add up, but when you are in the middle of that, caught up in all the excitement it can be really hard to see the holes.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Aaronni, I tried to make a post on your blog, but it's now locked to member-only comments.

I have to assume your post for today was a scheduled one that you wrote out before what happened yesterday. You need to go check your "to be posted" queue; today's post has " **Correction-I'm represented by Jodi Reamer from Writers House LLC (I love saying that!) as of 7/20/2011 =)."

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
From Publishers Marketplace:

Writers House has learned that a series of fake emails claiming to be from WH agent Jodi Reamer have been circulating to self-published authors this week. "These emails, which contain a number of false statements, have not in fact come from Jodi Reamer and should thus be disregarded." One easy "tell": they advise that any e-mail from a non-Writers House address "expressing interest in representation is counterfeit."

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
From today's Publisher's Lunch:

Writers House has learned that a series of fake emails claiming to be from WH agent Jodi Reamer have been circulating to self-published authors this week. "These emails, which contain a number of false statements, have not in fact come from Jodi Reamer and should thus be disregarded." One easy "tell": they advise that any e-mail from a non-Writers House address "expressing interest in representation is counterfeit."

Aaronni, I am so, so sorry you were a victim of this.

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How discouraging.

:Hug2:

I hope something good can come from this...

Beth Miller

Writers House, LLC
Registered
Reaction score
A few of you have beat me to the punch by reposting the blurb from today's Publishers Lunch.

Hopefully, these incidents won't be repeated- it's truly horrifying that someone is preying on hopeful authors in this manner!

Alitriona

Attends The School of AW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.caroloates.com
I am shocked at you people (both here and places like the Goodreads thread) who assume it's some kind of scam on her part; I know I'm cynical but seriously, you guys need to have a little compassion.

Aaronni's blog says she's a member here, perhaps we could show a little respect and stop discussing her like she's a piece of meat. She's probably aware of this thread on top of what must be an already devastating (and public) situation. Kudos to her.

Even if the scam was a scam (yo dawg, I heard you like scams...), at least it raises awareness that they exist.

Firstly, No disrespect to anyone intended. I don't agree a member should be treated any differently than any other writer if this had been true. Equal treatment and all that. This is relevant to the writing community and that's why it was discussed as it would be for anyone else.

I feel terrible for this young girl and young writer getting caught up in this and I'm glad to see she had said she won't let if defeat her. If it's any consolation at all, I almost got taken in by PA several years ago. At least this is something no-one knew about and of course it's human nature to want to believe the unbelievable. Many people would have been just as quickly taken in because they would want to believe it. I would want to believe it if it happened to me.

Aaronni, I really hope something good come out of this for you, either by a hike in sales or getting you noticed by someone who will want to take you on and take you further in your career.

Alouette

bad apple
Registered
Reaction score
Geez, what a horrible, horrible thing to have to go through :(

Seriously, what kind of person does that? It's not even as if they'll get any financial gain or anything (which would still be awful), it's just messing with people's dreams. Whoever did that must have a truly pathetic, fail of a life to do that, if that helps.

So sorry to anyone who has had to go through this. It's opened a lot of eyes and I hope that there will at least be more awareness as a result.

Mharvey

Liker Of Happy Things
Registered
Reaction score
My sympathies to Aaronni. With the statement from Writer's House, I'm convinced she was just guilty of being a little too gullible - nothing you can fault someone for, especially when some asshole waves your greatest dream in front of you. Hell, maybe I'd want to believe it so bad in her place that I'd forget this world tends to be stacked against the dreamers, and do the same thing she did... rejoice prematurely.

If you're reading, don't let it get you down. Everyone who matters will view this as an honest mistake.

Ashes Oh Ashes

Honest, not Harsh
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blogofron.com
At least there's now proof out in the open that she was, in fact, not trying to draw attention to her writing. I hope all goes well for her and that she doesn't let this circumstance put her down.

BethMac

Saying the Serenity Prayer
Registered
Reaction score
My apologies and sympathies to Arronni. I tend to think the worst of people and I jumped to conclusions. I hope she keeps writing and following her dream, just like the rest of us.

Gwendolyn

Registered
Reaction score
So, so sorry, Aaronni :( I was afraid that something was fishy. If Aaronni reads this, I hope she doesn't feel discouraged by this prank and I hope that she keeps chasing her dream.

KalenO

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.houseofegoandmadness.blogspot.com
My apologies to Aaronni as well! I have to admit, I believed it was a hoax too, but the WH statement and Stacia's comments about it happening to other writers more than have me convinced, so I'm sorry for adding to the trauma of an experience like this! I can't imagine how I would feel if I'd been duped like that, and I don't even want to try and understand the mind of a person who would prey on a writer's dreams like this.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just adding my sympathy and support for Aaronni. What a horrible, mean thing to do to someone.

Mello Matsuri

I am also Severus.
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm just glad the scammer was found out, so other aspiring authors wouldn't be sucked into the same trap. And I hope they find the person responsible, too, so they can ban them from ever sending emails again (joking...perhaps).

I'm especially glad she's not going to let this interfere with her writing. That kind of persistence and strength more inspirational than a magical hour book deal, IMO.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, what an awful thing to happen to a writer. I can just imagine the rollercoaster of thinking you had hit the jackpot with an agent and publisher, and then finding out it was a hoax. My greatest sympathies to Aaronni.

Status
Not open for further replies.