You'll have to read this to believe it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
This should have the whole publishing world talking. I'm completely speechless.

Holy crap! Good for her, that is just amazing, and yes hard to believe, though I'm sure it's 100% true since she calls out her agent and the publisher by name.

It's cases like this that give everyone just a little bit more hope!

MimiAngel621

Banned
Reaction score
Holy crap. And she said she wrote that book in 14 days, 13 hours a day. Words cannot describe how incredible that is.

TudorRose

not napping... brainstorming!
Registered
Reaction score
awaiting further developments...

Last edited:

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
It's an amazing story and I'm so happy for her, and I love that she acknowledges that everyone's story is different and that hers is weird and atypical. Unfortunately, zillions of people are going to use this as fodder for why self-publishing is a smart decision when your goal is to be published by a big 6.

Ajisai

Registered
Reaction score
Wow...I don't really know what to say. Some people do get lucky in that they have what someone is looking for at the exact perfect time. On the whole it sounds less like a publishing story and more like an Indies band that got scouted at their first show, or something. But as interesting as the whole concept is, I think emulating her success would be basically impossible!

Daisywitch

Registered
Reaction score
That is amazing. Good for her. I love how she's so honest about how luck and timing played a part in her success and that her story isn't typical for everyone. I wish her much success.

eventidepress

Registered
Reaction score
WOW. that is a crazy story. and also one-in-a-million, with the self-pubbing leading to Jodi Reamer (!!!!) and a book deal. so awesome for her! :D

MissAimee

A wannabe writer who lives in a land of confusion
Registered
Reaction score
Some people are at the right place and at the right time. Congrats Aaronni!!!

Mharvey

Liker Of Happy Things
Registered
Reaction score
It's an amazing story and I'm so happy for her, and I love that she acknowledges that everyone's story is different and that hers is weird and atypical. Unfortunately, zillions of people are going to use this as fodder for why self-publishing is a smart decision when your goal is to be published by a big 6.

Yeeeah, I'm thinking the same thing. lol

However, it does seem within the past year or so there have been a significantly bigger amount of success stories with self-publishing. I have no doubt that's simply because with technology where its at, it's free and 100x more people are trying it than, say 5-10 years ago.

Truth be told, stories like this encourage me to consider digging up an old manuscript I dismissed as garbage liner, blowing on it a few times and throwing it up on Amazon for .99 cents. Could be fun!

Because.

told before & told again
Registered
Reaction score
I squealed when I read it!

CONGRATS AARONNI! :D

BethMac

Saying the Serenity Prayer
Registered
Reaction score
That is amazing Aaronni! Congrats and good luck!!

Sean Wills

Registered
Reaction score
I just found out about this, and I have to say, I'm having a hard time believing it.

Before anybody jumps down my throat, I'm NOT accusing her of lying. But let's look at the timeline here:

She self-publishes her book on the 17th of July - four days ago.

With no obvious explosive popularity or sales (or none that anybody has mentioned) as justification, the book attracts the notice of a famous agent three days later.

The day after that, said agent has both signed the author AND sold the book to a major publisher. No revisions or editing first, apparently, just near-instant sale of a book whose first chapter reads like an obvious first draft. (I'm not taking a dig at the author here - anybody's manuscript would need work if it was written so quickly.)

I mean...I don't think I'm being unfair in expressing some scepticism, am I?

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
I just found out about this, and I have to say, I'm having a hard time believing it.

Before anybody jumps down my throat, I'm NOT accusing her of lying. But let's look at the timeline here:

She self-publishes her book on the 17th of July - four days ago.

With no obvious explosive popularity or sales (or none that anybody has mentioned) as justification, the book attracts the notice of a famous agent three days later.

The day after that, said agent has both signed the author AND sold the book to a major publisher. No revisions or editing first, apparently, just near-instant sale of a book whose first chapter reads like an obvious first draft. (I'm not taking a dig at the author here - anybody's manuscript would need work if it was written so quickly.)

I mean...I don't think I'm being unfair in expressing some scepticism, am I?

No, you're not. BUT it could be the editor accepted under the assumption (or maybe even the requirement) that there be multiple rounds of revisions.

Sean Wills

Registered
Reaction score
It could be, I just find it hard to believe that it all could have happened so fast. We all know what publishing is like - this is apparently the industry working at speeds that would be ridiculous even for an established author.

I'm completely open to being proven wrong, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.