• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Chainbooks

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Recovered from 7/11/11:

Today, 03:15 AM
TwentyFour
practical experience, FTW

I saw this on Facebook, anyone with knowledge about contracts and such can read the photo's section on Facebook and tell more on the company and what they are asking. I thought it might be interesting to try, then the contract had things about confidentiality that threw me off. Sites include:

www.chainbooks.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chainbooks/208391289179248?sk=info
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chainb...179248?sk=wall
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chainb...9248?sk=photos

Today, 04:57 AM
Unimportant
but appreciated anyway...

It's work for hire. For $25, they buy all rights including moral rights and derivative rights. For most authors, it's not going to be a very good choice. If you cede moral rights you can't assert yourself as author and claim it as a paid publication. If you cede derivative rights you can't use the setting or characters in another story. However, their model -- that one author writes the first chapter, another author writes the second chapter, etc -- really does require that they buy all rights including copyright.

I can see that it might be a useful way for the heir of a deceased author to dispose of unfinished, unpublished pieces that no one else is ever going to do anything with.

Today, 05:37 AM
TwentyFour
practical experience, FTW

Oh, yes. They state they must have 500 chapters bought or accepted *not sure which* before something happens. That would mean they would have to pay 500 people/writers $25 each and there would be 500 books in the making. I just don't see that happening unless they have so many people sign contracts *which you must do before sending a chapter* and then they use those 500 people to write chapters in ongoing books.

Today, 07:28 AM
Unimportant
but appreciated anyway...

From what I can gather, they've got funding to pay for 500 first chapters, and may extend that.

The method seems to be:
- - Person A writes chapter 1, signs over all rights, and gets $25.
- - Persons B - Z write the subsequent chapters (one chapter per person) for free, for fun, for the love of writing.
- - Chainbooks publishes the book as it chooses. If sales exceed a certain level, Person A collects a royalty of 75 cents per copy.

My prediction is that they'll get 500 people willing to sell them chapter 1 for $25 (or, more likely, 100 people each willing to sell them 5 chapter 1's). They'll get enough people to volunteer to write subsequent chapters to partially write about 100 of those books, and to complete about 25 of the books. They'll publish the completed books as e-books/POD and sell them to the authors (20 chapters = 20 authors = 20 copies sold) and that'll pretty much be it. And they'll not recoup their initial investment of $12,500.

I could be wrong. It's happened before.

Today, 09:52 AM
BenPanced
Cover-Stud Wrangler

Round robin novel as MLM.

Nice.

Charke

Registered
Reaction score
I've jumped on board with Chainbooks. I'm hardly a new writer, but it's something different to try. I did the math as well, and I'm willing to take a chance with someone who is putting 12 grand on the line. I make the assumption, hope, they have somewhere in that neighborhood of advertising to back it up. And it's not much of a risk for myself.

I've submitted 6 of the 10 starter chapters I plan on writing. I submitted one, two hours work, got paid about a week later and went back with 5 more the following week. I'm working on the last 4.

I'm looking forward to the fun of having the public paw over my work. Sure, some people will be critical, but many critics will look at it as a challenge to "fix" the story. There is a tendancy to be more positive about something you are looking to contribute too.

I fully intend to submit additional chapters to my own works, perhaps one in the middle and then try to nab the final chapter.

I'm really doing this for fun. Cranking out a 3000 word starter chapter is something I can do in a couple of hours so, I'm getting paid a little over minimum wage. Try getting that in the RPG business!

Normally I would be very sceptical. It's a weird concept. It seems like something that has a very real chance of failure. But Thieve's World worked and there's that woping great sum of money invested on this project. If nothing else, it means these guys are going to TRY their hardest to make this work.

Mark Charke

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
I dunno, color me skeptical. I'd rather use my novel openings to use for my novels, not someone else's. It's not easy to write a novel that will sell even when you are in charge of everything. I don't see how a group of people are going to do that. Investing money in something is all well and good, but it doesn't mean Chainbooks has any ability to decipher what's going to sell and what isn't.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Only three books completed, the last in '12. Last FB entry is 9/12, and last Tweet 2/13.