Not usually on this side of the fence

AeliusBlythe

Stranger in a strange land
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cheapassfiction.com
Salutations from the uncharted wilds outside the literary community...

I abandoned the tamed areas some time ago in favor of the unruly, uncharted country of web fiction. Most of my time is spent exploring what I find there and writing up my adventures. I've also left my own mark, a small one. It's a different world out there.

I still live there. But writers are writers and the wilds get a little sparse sometimes. I used to come over here sometimes and had fond memories of it. Thought I'd come back for a little.

I know webfic is not all that popular. That's okay. That's what makes it wild.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to the watercooler :welcome:

Take a wander around the various forums, there's lots to see and lots to learn, and even some fun threads too. Come along and pop on over to the Newbie Pub (at the top of the Newbie forum) and say hi, there's plenty of friendly faces that you can chat with and lots of banter. There's also the Question of the Day threads at the top of the Newbie forum where you can answer random questions.

Don't forget to read the newbie guide, and if you want to know what all the buttons mean check out this thread.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.
How do you like your popcorn?

If you go to the bottom of the page to the ‘forum jump’ you can scroll down and find all the areas of this place. Most of the SYW areas require the password of ….vista. A word to the wise, (50 posts), it would be a good idea to participate first in helping others before you think about posting your own work. After you have been around here for awhile, then post something of your own for help. Good luck.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages.They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Don’t forget to read the FAQ regarding posting pictures at AW.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. So take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’
works, or join a discussion.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to the watercooler :welcome:

Take a wander around the various forums, there's lots to see and lots to learn, and even some fun threads too. Come along and pop on over to the Newbie Pub (at the top of the Newbie forum) and say hi, there's plenty of friendly faces that you can chat with and lots of banter. There's also the Question of the Day threads at the top of the Newbie forum where you can answer random questions.

Don't forget to read the newbie guide, and if you want to know what all the buttons mean check out this thread.

AeliusBlythe

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cheapassfiction.com
Nice welcome wagon you have here. Good to see one or two familiar names.

Hello and welcome.

Had a look at your blog.

Those views on intellectual property rights and piracy are ... interesting.

Oh "interesting"... I love that word. So tame, so revealing. I've had worse. Thanks for the welcome anyway!

DionS.

Shaken, not stirred
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome AB! BTW, the "What Pirates Say To Copyrights" quotes were awesome.

AeliusBlythe

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cheapassfiction.com
Welcome AB! BTW, the "What Pirates Say To Copyrights" quotes were awesome.

Glad you like them! More to come... hopefully. There are people far more eloquent on the subject than I am (which sucks for an aspiring writer!)

sameerjoad said:
your sites are interesting but i would recommend using a self hosted blog instead of wordpress.com, good luck

I considered self-hosting. Basically I chose wordpress.com because it is soooo simple. It's pretty much "Blogging for Dummies." I don't mean that as an insult to it or anyone else that uses it. Just that it allows me to spend 100% of my time on writing and 0% of my time worrying about anything technical.

Writer go *click,* blog go on :) lol.

But can you tell me what your concern is specifically with WP? I know the simplistic nature of it gets in the way often (fewer options/less control.) But what is it you had in mind?

AeliusBlythe

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cheapassfiction.com
@sameerjoad
Ok, I just clicked on the link in your sig and read your post about self hosted blogs. You have a very well stated case. Still for me it is a balance of desire for control of my blog with the desire to keep my focus on my writing.

So I think the biggest issue with having a free blog is what you say here:
"One of the biggest disadvantage of the using these services is that the blog you are running, is actually ‘NOT’ yours. "

So I do worry about the fact that it is so easy to get shut down on Wordpress.com or blogger or whatever. On top of that WP.com is VERY unfriendly to anonymizing tech (tor, proxies etc.) I don't know how different this would be with self-hosting, I imagine it would depend on the specifics. (Any insight?)

But again, there's the ability to spend 100% of my time on my writing, which I would not have if I did anything more complicated.