I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
But- I would like to hear your collective opinion anyway. I have a publisher- small press that has been very good to me. Five books out in two years and sales are respectable. I am so not complaining about that.

I have a new MS that I am nearly ready to shop around- I would like the agent and the advance and all that, but I am realistic. I understand that even if the planets are all in alignment and I get the agent it could still be years (or never) until this book sells- or I could get a nice advance in six months- who knows?

So my quandry- I am reasonably sure if I submitt this book to my established publisher they will accept it- they are actively seeking the genre and I asked my editor if she like it (she did) So do I go with the known and hope my publisher takes it - or do I go for the big gamble and see if I can get that agent and maybe the big(ger) money.

I know- it all depends on what I want. I really want my stuff out there and available- but I wouldn't mind making a little more money while that happens either- so if it was your decision to make- I am curious to know what you would consider doing. And thanks!

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What is your obligation to your current publisher, since you mentioned it to her? Does that mean she has to get the first look? If so, then that's your answer.

Since you mentioned it to her, would it upset your relationship if she doesn't see it if there's not a contractual obligation?

If you have no personal or contractual obligation, then do with the book what you feel is right--as you've mentioned.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

sheadakota

Registered
Reaction score
No contractual obligation with this MS- I asked the editor to look at it on the side- she actually beta read it for me strictly as a favor with no obligations- so I am free to submitt it to whoever I want-

Scribhneoir

Reinventing Myself
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Barring contractual obligations to your current publisher, I think you should go for the big gamble. If you don't try, you'll never know what you might have accomplished with this book.

sheadakota

Registered
Reaction score
That's kind of what my gut is telling me as well. I guess I am relucant to get back on that query-go-round again, complete with all the rejections, but as the saying goes- you can't win if you don't play. It is sooo tempting to just play it safe though.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's kind of what my gut is telling me as well. I guess I am relucant to get back on that query-go-round again, complete with all the rejections, but as the saying goes- you can't win if you don't play. It is sooo tempting to just play it safe though.

What's saying that you can't make the "big" circuit and then go "safe" should that not work out?

sheadakota

Registered
Reaction score
What's saying that you can't make the "big" circuit and then go "safe" should that not work out?
true enough- I suppose nothing except my impatience and that detestable immidiate gratification streak I try to keep under control :tongue

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Are you going to lose the opportunity to go with the current publisher if you try shopping it around? I mean, why not send it out and see what happens and aim high, and then if that doesn't turn out you can send it to your current publisher? I don't think this has to be a one or the other choice.

And I'm all for saying send it. Querying sucks, but imo it's better to have tried and chance failing than it is to always wonder what could have been.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
If your end goal is to be published by a major house and have copies available in bookstores across the country, you won't get there by staying with the small press--not unless your ebooks start generating some stellar sales, and even then it's unlikely an agent will come looking for you.

If you think this book is good enough, then query it. You have nothing to lose but a few months of time.

sheadakota

Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes its hard for me to move out of my comfort zone- so yeah- like the thread title says- I was pretty sure I knew the answer- I do like this MS- in fact I thnk its my best yet- so I guess it off to wait for betas then polish polish polish and then the dreaded query letter- which I have not perfected yet! arrggg- nobody said it would be easy- right?

Thanks all for weighing in with much valued opinions. It is very appreciated.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
If your end goal is to be published by a major house and have copies available in bookstores across the country, you won't get there by staying with the small press--not unless your ebooks start generating some stellar sales, and even then it's unlikely an agent will come looking for you.

If you think this book is good enough, then query it. You have nothing to lose but a few months of time.

This.

If you want to move your career to the next level, then you need to step it up. Many big writers started their publishing careers with small presses.

Alitriona

Attends The School of AW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.caroloates.com
I think it's onward and upward. If you have a happy relationship with your publisher there is nothing to say you can never submit to them again. Clearly you are considering moving on, if you don't give it a shot you'll never know what could have happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.