The Great W1S1 Hey-Do-You-Know-About-This-Market Thread

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
For anyone more knowledgeable/experienced than me, what can we expect from this kind of change? Will a lot of the 5 cent/word pro markets up their pay rate in order to maintain pro status? Or will more of them go semi-pro, keeping their pay rates as they are?

Either way, the push for writers to get paid more is cool.
I'd say a lot of them will. Shimmer's chief editor, for example, has already said they'll go to 6c so they can continue their push for SFWA qualification. :)

M. H. Lee

Registered
Reaction score
I'd already seen a few markets upping their rates this past year. I can't remember who right now, but I think I had two or three that had higher rates when I updated my spreadsheet of pro-paying SF markets over the summer. Right now, at least nine of the markets I have on my list are at or above that rate.

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
For anyone more knowledgeable/experienced than me, what can we expect from this kind of change? Will a lot of the 5 cent/word pro markets up their pay rate in order to maintain pro status? Or will more of them go semi-pro, keeping their pay rates as they are?

Either way, the push for writers to get paid more is cool.

Well, 5c/wd markets will still have pro status in the eyes of other associations like the HWA (unless they follow suit) - they're not suddenly going to become semi-pro just because the SFWA changes their qualification status, And some markets don't seem to care about the SFWA anyway, so I'm not sure how many will actually change.

pyragelos

Registered
Reaction score
Flytrap Kickstarter update: Hi all! Just wanted to let you all know we're working our way through fiction submissions steadily. (We got too much good stuff.) We expect to have all submissions answered by the end of the year, and the art and non-fiction and poetry are coming together well. The issue should be out early next year as planned.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Flytrap Kickstarter update: Hi all! Just wanted to let you all know we're working our way through fiction submissions steadily. (We got too much good stuff.) We expect to have all submissions answered by the end of the year, and the art and non-fiction and poetry are coming together well. The issue should be out early next year as planned.

Thanks for the update, pyragelos! End of the year, huh? Sounds like a long time until I remember that it's only a month away.

gringo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
nmwhitley.com
Hi everyone. I'm kind of new here.

I was wondering if anyone had any information about these guys.

http://bairdpresents.com/

I sent something for one of their calls for submissions (Anathema: A Bizarro Anthology) but that was waaay back in April. Sent a query, no response.

Diving through the older posts on this thread I didn't see anything about them, but should I just go ahead and assume that it's another case of the mysterious-semipro-market-that-up-and-disappears-never-to-be-heard-from-again?

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I suspect a fair number of SFWA markets that are currently paying $0.05 will go to $0.06 (which is sort of the entire point).

I have already budgeted for UFO3 and am still paying $0.05c/word but all those contracts are going to be signed before the SFWA deadline. UFO4 and future projects will pay $0.06c/word+, and I might still be able to raise the UFO3 rates depending on how successful the Kickstarter is and how well current anthologies are selling.

Speaking of, if you are interested in buying copies of UFO, or the upcoming Coffee anthology, now is the good time to do it:

http://www.ufopub.com/2013/11/28/coffee-table-of-contents-2013-holiday-bundle-sale/

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I sent something for one of their calls for submissions (Anathema: A Bizarro Anthology) but that was waaay back in April. Sent a query, no response.

Diving through the older posts on this thread I didn't see anything about them, but should I just go ahead and assume that it's another case of the mysterious-semipro-market-that-up-and-disappears-never-to-be-heard-from-again?
Is their any responses on Duotrope or the Submission Grinder? There's been no activity on the Baird Presents site since July, it seems. If it were me, and there's no activity on the sites mentioned just above, i'd send another query, wait for another month, then send a withdrawal email and move on :)

Also, welcome to W1S1! :hi:

gringo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
nmwhitley.com
Is their any responses on Duotrope or the Submission Grinder?

Yeah, there's one 151-day "Never responded", and three pending, the minimum being 137 days and the maximum (mine) at 213.

I'll probably follow your advice, query once more and be done with it...

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Are you like me, and don't sub to Fantasy & Science Fiction because they don't accept electronic subs? Well, c.c. finlay is guest editing an issue, and for the period of Jan 1-14 they'll be accepting electronic subs for said issue. Let the good times roll.

Linkage!!

Last edited:

Aislinn

Head down
Registered
Reaction score
Are you like me, and don't sub to Fantasy & Science Fiction because they don't accept electronic subs? Well, c.c. finlay is guest editing an issue, and for the period of Jan 1-14 they'll be accepting electronic subs for said issue. Let the good times roll.

Linkage!!

Good tip, thanks!

Batspan

My Religion is kindness -Dalai Lama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
Pyragelos -- Thanks for the Flytrap update. I noticed a couple rejections on the Grinder this week.

Izz -- Thanks for the good news. F&SF came up on Twitter for not accepting electronic subs. I'll make sure to make that window.

Brandon M Johnson

hard at work
Registered
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Izz

Linkage!!
Thanks for the tip, Izz. I've never sent F&SF a story before because of that policy, but I'll definitely have to give it try next year.

Batspan

My Religion is kindness -Dalai Lama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
Last edited:

Melinda Moore

Registered
Reaction score
Just to let everyone know, we reached 100 likes on Facebook, so the prize money for the Photo Flare writing contest is officially $75. Here are the pics.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
I was looking for new markets for a story of mine and The Fog Horn caught my eyes. It only publishes four stories a year but they pay $1,000 per story. I'm a little iffy on the rights they want though, mostly from poor wording:

Publishing Rights
We retain exclusive rights to your story for 90 days, and non-exclusive rights forever.

We also retain the right to publish in other Fog Horn mediums such as a "Best Of" or Annual Anthology or something similar in the future.

Lastly, we retain the right to submit your story and for it to be published as part of award contests.

http://thefoghornmagazine.com/submit/

It's mainly the last one I'm wondering about. If a story was published in The Fog Horn and then published in a best of anthology, would Fog Horn be paid for it instead of the author?

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
According to an email I received this week, Crowded Magazine is changing their format.

They'll be going to a once-monthly online publication with one story per month. Then, at the end of the year, they'll collect all twelve into a single volume that will be available in PDF, ebook formats and print.

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Also: when you go to submit there are some weird contractual clauses that hand over rights to the magazine even though they haven't read it yet. Anyone any idea about this? As much as I love $1000 pay offs, can someone decode the legal bumph please.

I was looking for new markets for a story of mine and The Fog Horn caught my eyes. It only publishes four stories a year but they pay $1,000 per story. I'm a little iffy on the rights they want though, mostly from poor wording:

http://thefoghornmagazine.com/submit/

It's mainly the last one I'm wondering about. If a story was published in The Fog Horn and then published in a best of anthology, would Fog Horn be paid for it instead of the author?

ACFantasy

Registered
Reaction score
Crowded Magazine is open again, and now they're staying permanently open. Pay is 5c/word Australian, and they're shooting for 11-22 stories a year, published irregularly.

One important note about Crowded: they have two 'streams' of stories. One, 'private', works like usual--you send in your story, one or more editors look it over and makes a decision. The second, 'public', has other submitters reading and reviewing your story, and the editors taking that feedback into consideration. (E.g., if I submit a story to the public stream, and so do you, you can then read my story, rate it, and leave me comments, which will influence the editors as to whether to buy it or not, and I can do the same to you.) The idea is that writers have a stake in making sure only the best stories get into the magazine (so that, should they get in, they're next to good stories and not junk), so their feedback is worth consideration. Some magazines, however, consider this 'first publication', since any submitter can read your work, and so won't be interested in it later. For instance, I asked Neil Clarke at a recent convention and he confirmed that Clarkesworld was one such magazine; they do not want anything that was first reviewed by a crowdsourcing system. So be careful; it may not be possible to submit elsewhere if you use the 'public' option.

Last edited:

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Some magazines, however, consider this 'first publication', since any submitter can read your work, and so won't be interested in it later. For instance, I asked Neil Clarke at a recent convention and he confirmed that Clarkesworld was one such magazine; they do not want anything that was first reviewed by a crowdsourcing system. So be careful; it may not be possible to submit elsewhere if you use the 'public' option.
That's really good to know. Thanks!

Brandon M Johnson

hard at work
Registered
Reaction score
Crowded Magazine is open again, and now they're staying permanently open. Pay is 5c/word Australian, and they're shooting for 11-22 stories a year, published irregularly.

One important note about Crowded: they have two 'streams' of stories. One, 'private', works like usual--you send in your story, one or more editors look it over and makes a decision. The second, 'public', has other submitters reading and reviewing your story, and the editors taking that feedback into consideration. (E.g., if I submit a story to the public stream, and so do you, you can then read my story, rate it, and leave me comments, which will influence the editors as to whether to buy it or not, and I can do the same to you.) The idea is that writers have a stake in making sure only the best stories get into the magazine (so that, should they get in, they're next to good stories and not junk), so their feedback is worth consideration. Some magazines, however, consider this 'first publication', since any submitter can read your work, and so won't be interested in it later. For instance, I asked Neil Clarke at a recent convention and he confirmed that Clarkesworld was one such magazine; they do not want anything that was first reviewed by a crowdsourcing system. So be careful; it may not be possible to submit elsewhere if you use the 'public' option.

Definitely an interesting piece of information to keep in mind. Thanks for the exlusive Neil Clarke quote:).

Also, has anyone had experience with Quantum Realities? I've had a sub there for a while. http://jaxaspublishing.com/index.php/magazine