The Great W1S1 Hey-Do-You-Know-About-This-Market Thread

JC Romel

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
JC: Absolutely. That's why you and I probably won't submit to that one... but I think there are plenty of folks that will, and most of them will not be doing it simply because they misunderstood the terms.

Everyone values their time/creative effort differently. I'm happy to submit my fiction to some markets that pay $0.01 per word, which comes to a fraction of minimum wage once you calculate all the time that went into writing, editing and submitting the story, but I routinely turn down consulting projects (in the gaming industry, so also a creative endeavor) that pay under $30/hour. Similarly there will be writers who are willing to give up full rights to their work in exchange for a higher pay rate, or good odds at a free-to-enter contest. They're not fools, they are just valuing their effort differently.

Well, you're entitled to that opinion, and I'm sure in some of the cases that's entirely true. However, I don't believe for a second that most people are willingly giving up those rights, and I don't believe that most writers actually have a clue as to what they're actually giving up. Even if the writer is aware of what they're doing, it doesn't mean they aren't being taken advantage of. I mean, the reason AW is such an invaluable resource for writers is precisely because there are so many writers out there who haven't the first clue as to the nature of the business, and might willingly give up too many rights for not enough money because they don't know any better. How many threads have you read in that section with posts from unfortunate writers saying "Oh, I had no idea what I was getting myself into?"

But I never once implied that anyone who wasn't aware of the rights grab was a fool. You don't have to be a fool to get screwed over.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Very cool of them to recognize W1S1 thus. Alas, it's a non-paying market though, so I'm going to pass.

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just got an email from Linger.

They said they are no longer a publishing market...

What???
Anyone else know about this?

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
I just got an email from Linger.

They said they are no longer a publishing market...

What???
Anyone else know about this?
I got that email too!

Now I'm kinda sad. :( Wonder what happened.

ETA: I see that their website is down.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You too?

I'm almost glad. I was wondering if it was some surreal type of rejection intended to make sure I never submitted to them again.

I listed on Duo as withdrawal by author. Nothing else seemed appropriate.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
You too?

I'm almost glad. I was wondering if it was some surreal type of rejection intended to make sure I never submitted to them again.
Haha, that would be odd. Your writing is so awful that they decided to close down publishing. o_O

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh no! I killed Linger :(

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's weird!

I'll have to send my story somewhere else. It had only been there a week, so no big deal, but it's very odd.
So sudden, and it's all gone.

I had something subbed to Dark Valentine when that shut down, and it was really different, announcement on the site and 'very sorry, but we have too', and all that stuff.

Linger has just vanished. It's very sad :(

My email said

Thank you for your submission.

Unfortunately, LingerFiction is no longer a publishing market, and therefore will not be publishing any more stories.

Thank you for your interest, and good luck in finding another home for your fiction.

JC Romel

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
It's weird!

I'll have to send my story somewhere else. It had only been there a week, so no big deal, but it's very odd.
So sudden, and it's all gone.

I had something subbed to Dark Valentine when that shut down, and it was really different, announcement on the site and 'very sorry, but we have too', and all that stuff.

Linger has just vanished. It's very sad :(

My email said

Thank you for your submission.

Unfortunately, LingerFiction is no longer a publishing market, and therefore will not be publishing any more stories.

Thank you for your interest, and good luck in finding another home for your fiction.

That sucks, but at least you got an email. I subbed a piece to Macabre Cadaver earlier this year and only found out they closed during one of my infrequent Duotrope Dives, where I check all the websites of the markets where I'm currently subbed. The site was down with a message that read "www.macabrecadavermagazine.com August 2008 - May 2010 RIP"

No emails, no reason, no nothing. Just a tombstone, if you happened to check in.

Oddly enough, Duotrope is showing a bunch of rejections by Linger from today. Must be that's how people are reporting it?

Last edited:

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:( That really sucks!

faerydancer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brendastokes.com
Thanks, Lillie for always looking on the bright side! I saved a copy haha :)

And it is a touch ironic, JC. I just hope everyone involved over there is okay.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about their demise. It was a market I subbed to several times, but never cracked.

They are being class acts by notifying all the writers with pending submissions. Too often markets go down and just let the authors find out the hard way.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Strangely, I think that would make me really proud (-:
Heh, that could be something to brag about.

Dear editor:

I've never published anything, but I did manage to shut down a publishing magazine with my submission.

So please consider my story!

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Dear editor:

I've never published anything, but I did manage to shut down a publishing magazine with my submission.

So please consider my story!

LOL!

Dear Editor,

I've enclosed my story "Gutenberg's Ghosts" for your consideration. I feel obliged to mention that every publication I've submitted it to so far has gone precipitously and inexplicably out of business, but I'm certain it's only coincidence. As an aside, I've formatted the manuscript using a monospace 12pt R'lyeh Sans Serif because it suits the "cursed rune" sections of the text more accurately than any font other than Comic Sans. I've also enclosed an SASE for your response. Please ignore any burn marks or reddish stains on the envelope; that appears to be something happening in my local post office. I've tried to speak to them about it repeatedly, but there's a high rate of turnover among the staff there, no doubt due to the economy.

My Thanks,

Author.

Last edited:

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, now you have to write "Gutenberg's Ghosts"!

JC Romel

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
LOL!

Dear Editor,

I've enclosed my story "Gutenberg's Ghosts" for your consideration. I feel obliged to mention that every publication I've submitted it to so far has gone precipitously and inexplicably out of business, but I'm certain it's only coincidence. As an aside, I've formatted the manuscript using a monospace 12pt R'lyeh Sans Serif because it suits the "cursed rune" sections of the text more accurately than any font other than Comic Sans. I've also enclosed an SASE for your response. Please ignore any burn marks or reddish stains on the envelope; that appears to be something happening in my local post office. I've tried to speak to them about it repeatedly, but there's a high rate of turnover among the staff there, no doubt due to the economy.

My Thanks,

Author.

Brilliant!