The Great W1S1 Hey-Do-You-Know-About-This-Market Thread

sarahthegrey

Registered
Reaction score
Are you guys interested in humorous horror stories at all?

Offhand, I'm not sure--I'll try to find out ASAP.

In the meanwhile, I'd give it a try anyway. JJA's keeping the response times in the Lightspeed ballpark (i.e., all but instantaneous), so you'll know pretty quickly if it's not a good fit.

EDIT: From the guidelines:

"All types of horror or dark fantasy are welcome; if in doubt, go ahead and submit it and let our editors decide. No subject should be considered off-limits, and we encourage writers to take chances with their fiction and push the envelope."

I would take that as an open invitation to send funny horror, but I'll still inquire! :D

Last edited:

sarahthegrey

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, this is straight from Nightmare's important folks:

"You're certainly welcome to submit humor, but it'll probably be a hard sell. Still, we can't know for sure unless you submit."

So...there ya go. :)

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Okay, this is straight from Nightmare's important folks:

"You're certainly welcome to submit humor, but it'll probably be a hard sell. Still, we can't know for sure unless you submit."

So...there ya go. :)
Thanks so much for finding that out. :) Well, I guess I'll give it a shot.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Don't think this one's been mentioned: Arc, from the Makers of New Scientist. Great pay-rate, and it looks like it'll be an ongoing, quarterly competition.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with Mixer Publishing? I've been avoiding them since their response times are tragically long, and their pay is ambiguous ($25-$100 is a fairly large range). But, I may consider them since all other options have fallen through.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with Mixer Publishing? I've been avoiding them since their response times are tragically long, and their pay is ambiguous ($25-$100 is a fairly large range). But, I may consider them since all other options have fallen through.

I've only sent them one story. It took a little over four months (158 days) to get a form rejection. It seems like they are usually faster than their 365 day projection, but they are still... somewhat slow. And it was a flash story so I figured even at $25 it would have worked out pretty well - somewhere around 3 cents/word. But I don't have any insight as to how their payscale breaks out.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
I've only sent them one story. It took a little over four months (158 days) to get a form rejection. It seems like they are usually faster than their 365 day projection, but they are still... somewhat slow. And it was a flash story so I figured even at $25 it would have worked out pretty well - somewhere around 3 cents/word. But I don't have any insight as to how their payscale breaks out.
I have a 3,500-word story, so I'd prefer something a little higher than $25, but doubtful they'd pay $100. It really would be helpful if they gave a payscale break down.

Duo has a few reports, ranging from 255 days to 98 days. Three months, not so bad; eight months, ehhh... Might have to think on that.

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
Huh. Went to sub a story this morning to Spilling Ink Speculative Fiction contest and found they have cancelled the submission call one month into the contest "due to unforeseen circumstances."

Also checked on Modern Grimmoire which was supposed to close to submissions today, so I was hoping to hear a response soon, but they have extended their deadline another two months. Duotrope only showed two responses pending (and I'm one). It's a pay-per-entry contest with only one grand prize, which may have put a lot of people off. Anyone else sub to them? I read the guidelines three times and still wasn't certain if they were looking for contemporary stories in fairy tale style or re-tellings of actual fairy tales.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Sad to see that Jed Hartman is leaving Strange Horizons. The few times I got personal rejections from SH they were from him, and they were some of the more complimentary turn-downs I've gotten.

http://www.strangehorizons.com/blog/2012/07/farewell.shtml
I've never had a personal R from SH, but it's always sad to see a good editor go. And wow, had no idea SH was 12 years old--that's ancient in internet years. :tongue

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I once got a solid two paragraph personal R from Mr Hartman, and was over the moon. Still a newb to writing protocol, etc, i logged onto the SH forums and sent a PM to thank him (with much thanking). He replied a few days later, and while he said he appreciated the feeback, he very politely discouraged me from doing the same thing again.

In fact, i think that's the only personal R i've received from SH. Don't stalk editors, kids! ;)

That R still rates as one of the best, most helpful rejections i've received.

Last edited:

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
My only personal R from SH was from him as well. As for all of you, it was a very helpful one.

sarahthegrey

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys, does anyone know offhand if Ideomancer typically sends any kind of confirmation after a submission?

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys, does anyone know offhand if Ideomancer typically sends any kind of confirmation after a submission?

Yes, you should receive an automated confirmation when you submit. At least I've gotten them for all of my submissions (most recent being on March 20. I should probably send them something again, soon).

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Just a reminder to those of us who don't still have stories under review with Abyss & Apex: they're open to submissions again! (And to the people still waiting, good luck!)

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
So, most of us probably know about Kazka Press. They've announced some changes to their flash fiction contest today; the word count is now flexible (between 713 and 1000 words) and pay is a flat $10. They've also announced their themes for the next five months.

They have also announced that I will be guest-editing their October issue. (Submissions are due September 1-20.) The theme will be "Love Beyond Death."

I was asked to write up a bit about what I was looking for and this is what I said:

"The best thing I can say is: surprise me! There are some obvious directions this theme could take: ghosts, other paranormal beasties, personality-on-a-microchip/uploaded-brain type stories, etc. I’m not saying I won’t take those if they’re great, because we want to provide great stories for the contest’s readers. But if I’ve got the choice between a great ghost story and a great story that took the theme in a direction I couldn’t have anticipated and that made me say ‘Wow!’ I know which one I’ll pick every time."

If you have any questions, feel free to let me know!

Last edited:

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
They have also announced that I will be guest-editing their October issue. (Submissions are due September 1-20.) The theme will be "Love Beyond Death."

Congrats on the guest editor gig! Great news!

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
So here's something new: Crowded Magazine. It a pro-rate magazine from auzzie, but they allow authors and subscribers to have a say on what will be publish. I take it that they'll vote on submissions, though no clue how that'd work. Think it's a promising idea or a complete disaster?

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
So here's something new: Crowded Magazine. It a pro-rate magazine from auzzie, but they allow authors and subscribers to have a say on what will be publish. I take it that they'll vote on submissions, though no clue how that'd work. Think it's a promising idea or a complete disaster?
I subbed something there this morning (had just woken up fuzzy head, so read guidelines (three times) but didn't read page about story being visible to all members for commenting/voting/whatever). We'll see what happens. Personally, i'm never big on the whole vote for the best stories thing. Too easy for writers to game the system. However, at least identifying info has to be removed from manuscripts before submission.