The Great W1S1 Hey-Do-You-Know-About-This-Market Thread

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
I got an invite for the were-steampunk antho.

Because I saw your post, I contacted Jennifer and snagged the very last invite for the coins anthology.

Excellent! Glad to hear both of you received invites. (I'm in for the Coins anthology as well and, like Aggy said, am rather excited.)

mhaynes

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
This isn't a new market... But, the new contest for "On the Premises" has a very broad theme of humorous stories. They have detailed comments on how their sense of humor tends to run (more towards Arrested Development and Bloom County than Full House and Marmaduke) posted as well.

It seemed that among us W1S1'ers we might have some humorous stories which we love but haven't yet found a home for. This might be a good place to give those a try.

Details here: http://www.onthepremises.com/current_contest.html

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
If anyone submitted to Nameless Magazine, you've probably had a long wait (I'm on 76 days)! But after querying their Facebook, they responded that they'll start sending out submission responses in about two weeks. Seems to me they're using an anthology model for their magazine--hoarding them all and waiting until they find the best before releasing unwanteds back to the authors. (Of course that's only my assumption on how anthologies work).

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Got a F&SF question (I know I should just buy the subscription): Do they take flash fiction? Or have you ever seen flash published in their zine?

mhaynes

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
Got a F&SF question (I know I should just buy the subscription): Do they take flash fiction? Or have you ever seen flash published in their zine?

Without going back and checking issues, I would say "rarely." Their guidelines say "up to 25,000" so they don't explicitly exclude flash. And they turn stuff around quickly, so there's probably little harm in giving it a try.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
F&SF accept flash fiction submissions, but I haven't seen one published there. Admittedly, I only started reading it regularly a couple issues back.

mhaynes

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
Without going back and checking issues, I would say "rarely." Their guidelines say "up to 25,000" so they don't explicitly exclude flash. And they turn stuff around quickly, so there's probably little harm in giving it a try.

I flipped through the TOCs of the last year's worth of issues (six bimonthly issues). I found three stories which looked like they probably were in the 800-1200 word range, just based on eyeballing the words per page and number of pages.

I hope this helps.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
I flipped through the TOCs of the last year's worth of issues (six bimonthly issues). I found three stories which looked like they probably were in the 800-1200 word range, just based on eyeballing the words per page and number of pages.

I hope this helps.
Yeah, that helps a lot. Thanks for taking the time. :)

Guess I can still try a flash submission and see how it goes.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
I wonder what's up with Horror on the Installment Plan. Duotrope recently changed their listing to a non-qualifying market, saying "Reason for disqualification: To see the theme list, you must register. We require that all information pertaining to submissions be publicly-accessible so we can track changes to them."

Why would they require people to log in to see something so important...?

mhaynes

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
I wonder what's up with Horror on the Installment Plan. Duotrope recently changed their listing to a non-qualifying market, saying "Reason for disqualification: To see the theme list, you must register. We require that all information pertaining to submissions be publicly-accessible so we can track changes to them."

Why would they require people to log in to see something so important...?

Good to know.

Personally, I plan to wait to submit to this market until someone I know (either personally or by reputation) sells something there and receives expected payment for it.

Like I said in the other thread -- I doubt that they're truly "up" to anything -- but there are far too many points of concern for me to want to rush to get involved in a business relationship with them.

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score

Was just going through my books the other day and found a F&SF with a flash, really short too- the intro said they bought it because it was too funny to pass up. I didn't think it was funny, but it was there. So they have published flash.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
I've been keeping on eye on Horror on the Installment Plan- they still have a story of mine in their slush pile, so I kind of have a vested interest in them. They have this line in their submash page:

Horror on the Installment Plan pays a professional rate of 5 cents per word for First Worldwide Electronic Rights and First Serial Rights. Payment is made upon publication.

This makes me feel a little better after reading the contract they had up on their site before (it's gone now). Though I'm not crazy about the 'contest' they're running. It's basically the same as subbing a story directly to them, but they charge you ten dollars for the privilege. The winner gets $100 (as well as .05 a word), so sure you could get more money than if you submitted the old fashioned way...but really it's more like winning $90 since you paid $10 to get your foot in the door. All HotIP needs is 11 people to sub this way and they've recouped the prize money.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Izz.

I like the look of the first one.

And a tenner is pretty good money. :)

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As a data point, I sent something to Grand SF a few days ago and got a prompt and polite personal R in less than 12 hours.

I sent something else in about a day ago. Haven't heard back on that one yet.

Adjusting stories to EXACTLY 1000 is a huge pain in the butt though. I asked if they'd consider looking at stories in the 950-1050 word range with a caveat that, if a story is accepted, the author must edit it to be 1000 words exactly. They said no, which seems a bit silly to me. Because different word processors will produce different word counts anyway -- and what happens if the story needs some minor editing which would change the word count?

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Adjusting stories to EXACTLY 1000 is a huge pain in the butt though. I asked if they'd consider looking at stories in the 950-1050 word range with a caveat that, if a story is accepted, the author must edit it to be 1000 words exactly. They said no, which seems a bit silly to me. Because different word processors will produce different word counts anyway -- and what happens if the story needs some minor editing which would change the word count?
I wondered about that because what if my word processor--I prefer to use RoughDraft--says the story is 1,000 words, but when they open it up on whatever processor they use, it shows up as 1,002 words, am I auto-rejected over wordcount discrepancy?

I'm also assuming that they won't accept any story that needs editing. Either the story works as is or it doesn't; no middle ground.