The Great W1S1 Hey-Do-You-Know-About-This-Market Thread

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Do you mean the "Nobody thought it should go there" quote?

If so they've already posted the stories up so if you didn't get in then should be safe for the Spec Fic.
Seriously? So does that mean they didn't even read mine or what? I thought they would at least read all the submissions before putting up the stories, because I haven't gotten a rejection. That kinda pisses me off.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Pedestal often sends rejections after the accepted stories have already gone live. They do read everything, but they have a very short window between when submissions close and when the new issue is published - so sometimes they deal with acceptances and editing the stories first and sending out rejection slips afterward.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
I queried Pedestal, asking since the issue is up that should I assume a rejection (don't mind if it's rejected, I just want to know), and a rep replied back that it was under consideration and they'd respond soon (*note* I didn't name my story). I don't know if that's a generic response or what.

Anyway, I sent the story off to another market.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's a new market that popped up on Duotrope today called Earthbound Fiction. They buy very short flash (under 500 words) at pro rates (5c/word) and longer SF/F stories at 1c/word.

I sent them a flash submission today via submishmash and got the following e-mail as a response:

Hey there Alex,

Thanks for submitting your work to Earthbound Fiction! We seriously can't wait to read it.

We're hurrying, but it usually takes about four weeks to hear from us.

Sit tight!

Thanks,
Alex Shvartsman
Associate Editor
Earthbound Fiction
http://www.earthboundfiction.com

Needless to say, I'm *not* an associate editor at this publication, making a submission to myself (although there's a spec fic story in that, somewhere). I'm thinking there's some sort of a bug in Submishmash that put the name of the submitter in the signature. Has anyone else submitted there? And if so, did you experience this issue?

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dagan Books has just announced their next anthology:

Bibliotheca Fantastica

"What we want: Stories having to do with lost, rare, weird, or imaginary books, or any aspect of book history or book culture, past, present, future, or uchronic. Any genre. Although the fantastical is not essential per se, stories should evoke a sense of the fantastic, the unknown, the weird, wonder, terror, mystery, pulp, and/or adventure, etc."

Pays 2c word + contributor copies. Subs Dec 15 - Mar 31.

http://daganbooks.com/2011/11/14/ne...fantastica-opens-for-submissions-dec-15-2011/

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah! Anything about books is good :)

Oh! The eldritch horror of the ancient tome...

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ooooh! Thanks for passing this one along, Alex! I'll have to give it some thought.

Heh plenty of time before the deadline yet...

Given that I have stories in both "In Situ" and "Fish" there's nearly 100% chance I will be submitting to this one to keep the streak going! Of course, the editors are different this time - but I'm still going to try!

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry to see any market go, but personally I gave up on Basement Stories quite a while back. There were too many issues with missing/delayed responses, not paying writers on time (or possibly at all) etc. I don;t think they're bad people, but they were in way over their heads.

They did publish some nice stories though, which is a credit to Carol. Maybe they'll find someone to take over the site.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh :(

I feel a bit sad about that.

I'm not even sure why, because it doesn't look like anything is really changing that much.

No more races though, where we could send one story to Fantasy and another to Lightspeed, and guess which would get back first.

mhaynes

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
[Heavily edited on 12/15 based on having a better understanding of the market. Thanks, Alex S!]

This one just popped up on Duotrope. The pay is MAY BE semi-pro (unless you're writing something pretty darn short).

A closer reading of the guidelines than I initially did makes it clear that they're likely intending to request publishing works with no compensation.

A shame, because I still think that the possibility of being invited to the conference is somewhat compelling. But not at the cost of giving work away for free.

http://www.duotrope.com/market_6630.aspx

Last edited:

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
I thought this looked interesting, though I've only skimmed the info so far.

http://www.unstuckbooks.org/contest

"We’re hoping to get work that surprises us; we aren’t looking for pieces that simply condemn or ridicule consumer capitalism, or affirm that corporations are intrusive and sinister. We’re after art, not polemics or propaganda."

I'm sorry but that lovemarks thing is in serious need of some ridicule. Also, this makes it sound as if politics and art don't go hand in hand, as if art is something done in an apolitical vacuum. hmmm.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Also, this makes it sound as if politics and art don't go hand in hand, as if art is something done in an apolitical vacuum. hmmm.

Lol. You sound like my kid. He's an art student. He keeps going on about the meaning of stuff, and art, and more stuff.

And I tell him that art is something you stick in a frame and hang on a wall and it don't have to mean anything.

And he says art is doing a painting, and then destroying the painting to prove a point about stuff.

And I tell him that's bull.

And I only say that stuff because he likes to argue his point and it makes him happy.

Sorry. That was really off topic.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This one just popped up on Duotrope. The pay is semi-pro (unless you're writing something pretty darn short), but the possibility of being invited to the conference is somewhat compelling.

http://www.duotrope.com/market_6630.aspx

If I understood the guidelines correctly they don't pay most of their writers, so it's more of a "contest" with them grabbing most of the content they intend to publish for free. Not the kind of market I would submit to.

mhaynes

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
If I understood the guidelines correctly they don't pay most of their writers, so it's more of a "contest" with them grabbing most of the content they intend to publish for free. Not the kind of market I would submit to.

That's what I get for looking at these things at almost 2 in the morning... The guidelines are kind of strangely worded, but, yes -- they do say they "may" offer publication without "upfront" compensation.

Thanks for pointing that out, Alex!

mhaynes

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
"We’re hoping to get work that surprises us; we aren’t looking for pieces that simply condemn or ridicule consumer capitalism, or affirm that corporations are intrusive and sinister. We’re after art, not polemics or propaganda."

I'm sorry but that lovemarks thing is in serious need of some ridicule.

So do many marketing concepts... :) Though, I'll say that in the IT space I've seen some pretty serious emotional connections to icons like Tux, the Linux Penguin. Still computer-ish but more in the consumer space, I've seen plenty of cars with an Apple logo sticker.

Also, this makes it sound as if politics and art don't go hand in hand, as if art is something done in an apolitical vacuum. hmmm.

Not disagreeing with you on this. But I've seen LOTS of guidelines that say similar things, though maybe worded more -- shall we say -- artfully.