The Great W1S1 Hey-Do-You-Know-About-This-Market Thread

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
The anthology L0ng H1dden: H1dden Y0uth has been canceled.

Editors at Uncanny Magazine and M0thership Zeta, among other venues, have said they would be interested in people submitting LHHY stories to them.

There's a lot of behind the scenes personal issues that caused the cancellation of LH:HY. CG did try to keep things together long enough but it just didn't work out. They should have issued a cancellation statement when CG closed down. I actually thought they had. Now there's a bigger mess. :(

Ty Schalter

Registered
Reaction score
This is really, really unfortunate. Long Hidden was a fabulous anthology, was looking forward to Hidden Youth...leaving authors and readers hanging like that is not cool.

Peace
Ty

Last edited:

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
For those wanting more info on the LH:HY, please see Kay Holt's post here.

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
Cross-posting from the SFF Genre thread for those eligible for the John W. Campbell award. Anthology of stories to be published. No payment, but it provides visibility for eligible stories.

Last edited:

ACFantasy

Registered
Reaction score
If you have a completed novel and are looking for an agent, there's a pitch competition going on. Brenda Drake's website has the submission form. In short, submit a 35-word pitch and the first 250 words of your story; agents will be looking through these. The deadline is 11:59 PM EST, February 26th (about 16 hours from the time of this post.)

pdichellis

Murder! You want fries with that?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
murderandfries.wordpress.com
Just stumbled across a brand spanking new pro-paying science fiction market listed at Duo and Grinder: Compelling Science Fiction. I'm not active in the genre, but others here might want to check into it.

Best wishes,
Peter

ACFantasy

Registered
Reaction score
Unidentified Funny Objects 5 is open for submissions through the month of April.

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Mothersh1p Zeta is open to subs May 1–7. Right this minute SG is listing them as closed, so if you're looking at markets there, it may not show up in a general search (I expect that will be corrected quickly).

bexxs

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know what to do in the event of a mistake in a submission to Asimov's? I just submitted a story and realized I left a letter out of my email address. I wouldn't contact them for a typo in my name or something like that, but obviously the wrong email address poses a problem. They do have an email address to contact in case you don't receive an autoresponse within two hours, but I'm sort of loathe to contact them for what is my screw up. Any thoughts?

(Also, I've been lurking on this forum for a long time, and I just wanted to say that W1S1 is super helpful. Thanks, all!)

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
bexxs, I'll assume you didn't get the autoresponse, so I'd contact them. This shouldn't hurt your chances--no market is going to turn down a story they like over a typo. Good luck!

bexxs

Registered
Reaction score
bexxs, I'll assume you didn't get the autoresponse, so I'd contact them. This shouldn't hurt your chances--no market is going to turn down a story they like over a typo. Good luck!

Thank you. I'm just feeling a bit embarrassed--I read over the submission form three times and somehow didn't catch such an important error! Oh well, I guess writers are human too :)

StuToYou

Registered
Reaction score
I'm loving this!

CHECK IT OUT!!

Deadline Feb, but I suggest you get started today...
"We are inviting submissions for the short story competition “Philosophy Through Fiction”, organized by Helen De Cruz (Oxford Brookes University), with editorial board members Eric Schwitzgebel (UC Riverside), Meghan Sullivan (University of Notre Dame), and Mark Silcox (University of Central Oklahoma). The winner of the competition will receive a cash prize of US$500 (funded by the Berry Fund of the APA) and their story will be published in Sci Phi Journal.

Rationale
As philosophers, we frequently tell stories in the form of brief thought experiments. In the past and today, philosophers have also written longer, richer stories. Famous examples include Simone de Beauvoir, Iris Murdoch, and Jean-Paul Sartre. Fiction allows us to explore ideas that cannot be easily dealt with in the format of a journal article or monograph, and helps us to reach a broader audience, as the enduring popularity of philosophical novels shows. The aim of this competition is to encourage philosophers to use fiction to explore philosophical ideas, thereby broadening our scope and toolkit."

http://blog.apaonline.org/2016/06/29/short-story-competition-philosophy-through-fiction/

StuToYou

Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm, I'm the only poster here since 13 July...and before that it was 6th of May...
This thread still active?

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm, I'm the only poster here since 13 July...and before that it was 6th of May...
This thread still active?

I'm still reading, FWIW. But since I live under a rock, I'm more a consumer than a provider on this one.... :chair :popcorn:

PastyAlien

Space butthole
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helfrich.ca
This contest popped up on SG: Write a <2K SF story this weekend based on a prompt. The prize is £500.

Grinder displays this warning: Note: the rules state that SFL owns your submitted story. Caution advised.

The rules state:

SFL Participant hereby acknowledges that SFL will be an owner of his/her completed entry; and that SFL has the right to publish, show, exhibit, broadcast, record or disseminate in any way possible, including and not limited to publication, broadcast television, cable television, radio and/or the internet; and the right to publicise the SFL and Challenge using the name or passages of and from the “Story.”

The contest FAQ states (bolding theirs):

Q: Can I sell, publish or develop my film or story after submitting to the challenge?

A: Yes. It's yours and you own own it, so exploit away! However, please remember by taking part you grant us an in-perpetuity, world-wide, royalty free, non-exclusive licence to promote, publish, sample and sub-licence the work. We will never charge any money for the story or film, but we will offer it free to anyone who wants to show it. The intellectual property in the work is yours and we do not make any claim on this, so we wont take the world or characters you develop without permission.

I'm thinking about entering. New $cientist is a venerable science magazine, so being published on their site would be sweet, even though entering would preclude subsequent submissions of the story to markets who buy first/exclusive rights. I'm not even sure if you could sell it as a reprint, because don't most contracts state you must be the sole owner?

Anyone else interested?

Sara K.

Registered
Reaction score
This contest popped up on SG: Write a <2K SF story this weekend based on a prompt. The prize is £500.

Grinder displays this warning: Note: the rules state that SFL owns your submitted story. Caution advised.

The rules state:

The contest FAQ states (bolding theirs):

I'm thinking about entering. New $cientist is a venerable science magazine, so being published on their site would be sweet, even though entering would preclude subsequent submissions of the story to markets who buy first/exclusive rights. I'm not even sure if you could sell it as a reprint, because don't most contracts state you must be the sole owner?

Anyone else interested?

Yup, I signed up a few weeks ago :D My boss told me about it, and I jumped at the chance. I have something on Saturday morning & theatre on Sunday night, so I'm hoping I'll have enough time - and that my prompt really inspires me! I know people who have participated in the 48 film contest that Sci-Fi London also run, and they always seem to have a good time.

I'm hoping that, in the end, those of us without stories being promoted on the website (i.e. those of us who are not finalists), can write in to request the rights of the story being returned to us. I don't know how likely they'll grant that, but I'm going to try it if I think I have a sellable piece at the end.

PastyAlien

Space butthole
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helfrich.ca
I'm hoping that, in the end, those of us without stories being promoted on the website (i.e. those of us who are not finalists), can write in to request the rights of the story being returned to us. I don't know how likely they'll grant that, but I'm going to try it if I think I have a sellable piece at the end.
Good idea. I'm not sure why they'd want all those rights to non-shortlisted stories anyway. :Shrug:

I've registered, and if I like my prompt, I'll probably submit an entry.

Good luck!

fairphyllis

Registered
Reaction score
Good idea. I'm not sure why they'd want all those rights to non-shortlisted stories anyway. :Shrug:

I've registered, and if I like my prompt, I'll probably submit an entry.

Good luck!

Interesting contest, and I like my prompt! I wonder how much the ownership thing has to do with the fact that they give you the three things to work with? At least not much time will be invested in this :)

Sara K.

Registered
Reaction score
Huh, I never thought about it like that, Phyllis, but you might be right, there.

I think we should share our prompts once the contest/judging is over! (I don't know the rules for this challenge, as I've only seen people sharing their titles.) I love my science prompt, and I think I can fit in my line of dialogue naturally, but the title is just...it's a struggle to work something in that will have the title make sense. Ice Cold Smile, yeesh.

I'm 550+ words into mine, so far...I quite like the direction it is going in.