Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Writing Someone's Height

No Stranger To Rejection allz28's Avatar

Writing Someone's Height

What is the proper way to write someone's height using AP Style or Chicago? Or more importantly, how would you suggest writing it in a list that is being submitted to McSweeney's?

Six-foot-one

6 foot 1

6' 1''

or something else?

Ooo! Shiny new cover! Absolute Sage Cathy C's Avatar
    I guess my question is whether it's important to the text to show it. Is it non-fiction or fiction? In fiction, it would only be relevant to the person identifying the person and there are much more interesting ways to convey the information.

But according to the Chicago Manual,
    Numbers & units. Generally, do not mix numbers that are spelled out with symbols, write out the term for the symbols as well. For example, write: the temperature was 45 , or forty-five degrees; $20 or twenty dollars. Chicago style makes an exception for percentages: it is OK to write 45 percent.
    So 6'1" would probably be fine in narrative. In dialogue, spell out the words because they're being spoken.
    Smiles!
    Cathy Clamp
    USA Today bestselling author
    FORBIDDEN, coming 8/15!
    My Website
    Follow me: Twitter
    Now on Facebook! Come friend me!

"[Shapeshifter] fans are about to hit the jackpot as Clamp returns to re-energize
    this amazing series. Searching for layered plotlines and complex
    characters? Look no further, as Clamp truly delivers!" -- RT BookReviews

"Cathy Clamp is a visionary author, creating new worlds that are both strong and
    vividly drawn. Adventure and excitement at its best." -- Yasmine Galenorn,
    New York Times Bestselling Author

"A struggling community under attack, compelling action, characters struggling
    with dark secrets ... FORBIDDEN hit all my favorite notes, and I love the rich world
    of the Sazi!" - Rachel Caine, New York Times bestselling author of The Morganville Vampires

Banned
    Cathy C is right. Use either 6' 1" or six feet one inch. Whether you use numbers of letters is largely dictated by the kind of writing you are doing.

No Stranger To Rejection allz28's Avatar
    Okay, thanks for the quick responses!

Like I mentioned, this is for a List Submission to McSweeney's. So it's not in dialogue. It's not even a story.

I'll go with 6' 1"

A bit of a wallflower absitinvidia's Avatar
    Do remember that the feet and inches symbols should be primes and not curly quotes!