Input issue

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I've lost my o capability on my netbook. I'm using the on-screen keyboard, but that's not practical for long. It keeps glitching up after I minimize it, too.

I'm probably just going to use this unit for parts, and I've ordered a newer model, so this post is nothing urgent.

Still, any ideas? I don't know if there is a USB keyboard around to check that. I can't use a setup like that for long, either, because I have to have the ergonomics just so (upper back problem).

I took the key off and was surprised that nothing works to register that keystroke. The electronics went kaput, apparently?

What happened? It's a few years old, and I take it everywhere. Did it just die? Would you bother trying to replace the keyboard? Just curious, really :)

It does get hot, btw. These suckers didn't come with fans inside.

skylark

Registered
Reaction score
If you can't trigger it even with the key removed, it does sound like the electronics went kaput. If you take the next key along off too, does it look the same? You might be lucky and it's just a little blob of exterior solder which has come off...

Do you mean "do USB keyboards exist?" If so, yes. And in a wide variety of ergonomic shapes. But they'd be a pain to carry around. My daughter has one of those roll-it-up flexible ones, which are easy to transport, but vile to type on.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I've been waiting to see if I can see more without taking it apart, but it's getting long since I ordered my new one. Soon :) I know I'll be ripping out this keyboard the second my new one is set up!

Everything looks normal (without taking out the keyboard). It is just a poor, kaput O that looks completely fine. :ROFL:

I do know about USB keyboards; thank you! I just don't have one around.

Reaction score
The Best Place In The World...Absolute Write!!
Last Friday I was having a problem with the Shift key and the letter S. No matter how much I would press the Shift key to capitalize a letter at the beginning of a sentence, it would show up lower case and I wanted to pull my hair out!! Same thing with the letter S. I don't know how much I had to type it and how deep I had to press the button for the darn thing to show on the screen, but it seems that I am dealing with those two keys just fine now. My keyboard is sometimes weird, too, and laptop keyboards are a lot more difficult to remove and replace than I imagined. I watched a how-to YouTube video, not sure I want to go through all that hassle. (Removing screws, etc.) so if my keyboard is indeed malfunctioning, I am screwed! :hooray:

ETA: That cheering smiley couldn't be more sarcastic. :D

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
It does give me a great reason to get a new one, though! You go, poor little O :D :D

I'll give a tip in case anyone needs it, too. The On-Screen Keyboard in Windows is under Accessories---> Accessibility. I bet a lot of folks have never checked out that category. You click on the keys with your cursor, so it can be a big help.