• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Magazines and Ongoing Fiction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shirokirie

*Leers at you awkwardly*
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have been looking into magazines lately because I am interested in writing fiction for them.

However, the work that I want to submit exceeds maximum word count, and can be called a "Series of short stories with a central theme," all having the same characters, but different plots relating to this central theme.

The magazines that I have been researching do not display anyone continuing on with a 'series' of any sort. So I am wondering if magazines are open to this sort of thing at all.

If you happen to know anything, I would greatly appreciate the help.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Selling a series like that in one go would be unusual. However, if each story could be read without reading the rest, you can submit them as separate stories. It sounds like that might be the case with yours.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
There are a couple of magazines I can think of running serials, but the ones I can immediately think of are in the "women's fiction" shelf - Woman's Own, People's Friend, those types of magazines - but there are probably many more places open to longer fiction if you look hard enough.

Good luck.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
If you're writing mysteries, you can create a series with similar themes for either AHMM or EQMM. Of course, you have to sell to them first, which is darn hard, and you have to maintain that high quality for every story you submit. Each story must also be 'stand-alone.' These two magazines take 'longer' stories if they are very good, and they pay pro-rates, which is nice. The same can be said of their 'sister' magazines in the sci-fi and fantasy genres.

Check out Duotrope for other possible places to submit.

Or, write all your stories, put them into an anthology and get yourself an agent. Short story collections aren't easy to sell either, but if they're stand-out stories and well-written, you could give it a try.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
You'll have a much easier job breaking in with single, shorter stories. Especially with the pro or semi-pro markets. By shorter, I mean at or under 5000 words for sure, but under 3000 words, even better.

If your stories can stand alone, sub them singly. Then if you sell one, let the editor know you have other stories of the same sort, in case he's interested in a series.

You might also find opportunities in epubbing the stories yourself. I see shorts selling for $0.99 or so. Something to think about, particularly if you can build a fanbase prior to the venture.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
You could always edit the stories to fit the market you want to sell to, and keep the longer versions for your collection.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
As long as each story stands alone, you're fine. If they don't, very few magazines run serials.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
My friend wrote a series of short stories related to a central theme based on experiences she had while a therapist for the prison system. She started querying and has been accepted by a publisher.

She knew that getting a short story collection published was close to nil, but decided to try anyway. Her stories are specialized and pretty dark.

As for magazines, they must be stand alone.

Last edited:

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score
The magazines that I have been researching do not display anyone continuing on with a 'series' of any sort. So I am wondering if magazines are open to this sort of thing at all.

Serialized stories are pretty much history in print magazines, although online mags often have them. But I think the print edition of Analog science fiction has serialized stories regularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.