SW: KOTOR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Steam was having a sale, so I got this the other day (always wanted it for my Xbox 360, but can't find a copy anywhere).

Any advice/tips/suggestions?

Fulk

Occasional Contributer
Registered
Reaction score
Not that I should decide your character for you, but I always found dark side characters more entertaining.

Mutive

Blissfully Clueless
Registered
Reaction score
Being evil is really fun in the game. Really fun. ^_^

Romantic Heretic

uncoerced
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.romantic-heretic.com
Make sure your character has the 'Destroy Droid', 'Force Lightning' or 'Drain Life' Force abilities. Otherwise the final battle goes from 'extremely difficult' to 'nigh frigging impossible'.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
The best advice I can give you is to try to have a balanced party. I generally preferred having a strong melee fighter (usually my main character fills this role), a support/mage character and a ranged fighter.

Oh and if you like the game, I would highly suggest getting KoToR 2 as well.

John Ayliff

Registered
Reaction score
Website
johnayliff.com
Don't bother with the stealth system. Stealth in these games just lets you sneak into the middle of a group of enemies so you're surrounded when they all become hostile.

Get the power that lets you run faster (I can't remember what it's called). You'll be thankful for it when a quest makes you go from one side of a city to the other.

Her Dark Star

Registered
Reaction score
Force speed. It's extremely handy as well as being good for combat.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Well, took me a week but finally beat it (once). Clocked in at just under 36 hours (yeah, I spent most of my weekend playing...'cause I have no life, haha). I played as a Scoundrel Consular.

Anyway, I don't think I've ever cussed at a game anywhere close to as much as I cussed at this game (how does anyone have the patience to play it at a level above normal?). Three parts especially: 1) When I faced off with Calo Nord and his goons on Tatooine coming out of the krayt dragon/Star Map cave; 2) when I died about a million times in the Star Forge from wave after wave after mother-fraking-wave of Dark Jedi/Sith Apprentices/Sith Guards around every corner and, of course; 3) facing off against Malak. I died against him probably about a dozen times, at least, until I figured out a pretty good strategy.

I was also able to turn Bastila back to the light side, kind of by accident. First time I fought her I had to kill her because, I guess, I didn't play the dialogue options in the right way. But, I realized I never went into the computer room to make my advanced Jedi robes, so I loaded an earlier save and played back to the end. Second time I fought her, I was able to turn her back to light side.

Anyway, really enjoyed this game. The similarities in Bioware's major RPGs/action RPGs (in both plot and game features) are obvious but, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? I'm sure a lot of that had to do with the fact that Casey Hudson was project director on this one and the Mass Effect series and Drew Karpyshan wrote this one (and KOTOR and Darth Bane books) and Mass Effect (and all of the books). Was also cool to hear Carth Onasi was voiced by the same guy who voiced Kaiden Alenko in the ME series. Their characters are pretty similar, too, so it made sense.

I know Obsidian did KOTOR 2 because Bioware was working on Jade Empire but, is KOTOR 2 any good? I might get that next.

Last edited:

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
I know Obsidian did KOTOR 2 because Bioware was working on Jade Empire but, is KOTOR 2 any good? I might get that next.
KoToR 2 is amazing in my opinion. It's story line is much is better than KoToR 1 in my opinion and Kreia, a companion you get early in the game, is one of my favorite Star Wars characters. Granted, I didn't use her in battle that often (instead preferring to use the Handmaiden and Mira), but her character is amazing. For that matter, I think all the characters were pretty well done.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
T3-M4 was a second main character for me. In fact, I used him about as often as the main character. lol
Ha, nice. Is he actually any good in battle? I never even thought to use him much because it seemed like I'd be fighting next to a trash compactor.

I did like the other robot, the assassin that always talked about liking to kill things.

John Ayliff

Registered
Reaction score
Website
johnayliff.com
KOTOR 2 is pretty good, but it's spoiled by the fact that it was rushed and the dev team weren't given time to properly finish it. There are plot threads left unresolved, and the final act is pretty poor and doesn't make quite enough sense to be satisfying. The good bits are very good, but it's sad because it could have been so much better.

Fulk

Occasional Contributer
Registered
Reaction score
Agreed with Shadow Dragon: Kreia is one of the greatest Star Wars characters from the Expanded Universe. KOTOR2 is every bit as good as the first, but as mentioned, the ending was rushed and never properly finished. I think it's still worth the price.

As for the difficult combat encounters in game: most times that I got frustrated with a hard battle, I would load to a save before the battle begins and lay traps all around the combat area. It was a cheap way to win a battle, but sometimes it was all I could do to keep myself from hurling the controller at the screen.

Arcadia Divine

Registered
Reaction score
Ha, nice. Is he actually any good in battle? I never even thought to use him much because it seemed like I'd be fighting next to a trash compactor.

I did like the other robot, the assassin that always talked about liking to kill things.

He can disable mines and unlock doors like it's going out of style! Plus he's accurate at shooting.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Ah, okay. I played as a Scoundrel and was able to do all of that already. If I'd played as a different class, I probably would've needed to take T3 or Mission with me for the lockpicking and mines.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, okay. I played as a Scoundrel and was able to do all of that already. If I'd played as a different class, I probably would've needed to take T3 or Mission with me for the lockpicking and mines.
Actually, when it comes to mines, the stun droid (and the more advance versions of it) can destroy mines at a distance. The only reason to try to pick up the mines is if you're planning on using them.

The only real advantage that T3 gives you over the others is his high computer hacking skill. Which is quite useful if you aren't playing as a scout.

JadeKnight

My favorite games of all time! I've played so many times I've lost count. I love them and each play through I find something new or a different scenario appears.

In the under levels of Taris I was thinking "wouldn't it be funny if I fight the monster, the guy is saved, but dies after he gets passed the gate" And guess what, that's exactly what happened! I made a prediction. The force must have been with me :p

I prefer playing guardian and sentinel compared to consular.

Status
Not open for further replies.