The AW Amazon Store
Absolute Write's Amazon Bookstore

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Writers

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Looking for Writers

Hey guys and gals,

I am looking to add some writers to my team. There is always work and the jobs will range from articles, to press releases, to web content and just about everything in between.

It is always changing so I can never promise you a certain amount of work, but generally there is plenty of work to go around.

If you are looking for some additional income and are solid writer, please send me an email at cyndi@writingbycyndi.com.

Looking for some writers to start right away .

Oh, pay is weekly on Saturday's and ranges per client.

practical experience, FTW Gretad08's Avatar
    Cyndi,

Are you still looking for writers? I sent an e-mail about a week ago, but haven't heard back yet. I'm interested if you need anyone. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by writingbycyndi View Post
    ...Oh, pay is weekly on Saturday's and ranges per client.
    How much do you pay?

You're advertising in the Paying Markets room of AW, after all, so an idea of remuneration would be appreciated.

Also, where will the work you purchase be distributed, exactly? You mention...jobs will range from articles, to press releases, to web content and just about everything in between...

That's fine and all but seems a little vague.

When you have a chance, please let us know more about the pay and distribution of stories you purchase.

Thanks.

but appreciated anyway... Unimportant's Avatar
    Her website suggests that what she charges varies from client to client, so payment to the writers will probably vary as well:
    Q.What are your fees?

A. My fee’s for services provided will vary from client to client. I like to personally talk with the client in order to make sure that all the writing needs are met. Depending on the service you want, will depend on the fee as well. Some jobs can be done on a flat rate basis, while others can be done on a hourly rate . It will really depend on your exact needs. I can assure you that my rates are reasonable and if you are not satisfied with the work, you will not have to pay for the work. I am confident that you will find my writing 100 % acceptable. We will work together in order to assure that all your writing needs are met.
    However, it would be nice if she'd provide the range within which she pays her writers, and also some assurance that if she accepts a piece from a writer she will pay the writer, even if the client in the end declines to accept it and doesn't pay her for it.

Oddly, her FAQ also say:
    Q. Do you outsource to other writers?

A. While most of the time, I will be personally writing your content on certain occasions, there may be an additional writer or two that may help. These writers are professional writers who have the gift for writing. All work will be overseen my me and before the content is sent to you, will be reviewed. So, no I do not outsource as I have a few writers who work with me from time to time. You have hired me to do your content or articles and I will ensure that nothing is finalize without my personal touch.
    Last edited by Unimportant; 07-25-2011 at 07:44 AM. Reason: adding info

Quote Originally Posted by Unimportant View Post
    ...So, no I do not outsource as I have a few writers who work with me from time to time....
    That's not entirely truthful on her part, since she is actively attempting to outsource here. You'd have to become a member of her writing "team" first, of course, which is splitting hairs nonetheless.

In addition, however vague the payment scale might be, it needs to be noted in this thread, in real numbers, by the OP so writers who may be interested will have an idea of what they might expect to be compensated.

practical experience, FTW Tom from UK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gretad08 View Post
    Cyndi,

Are you still looking for writers? I sent an e-mail about a week ago, but haven't heard back yet. I'm interested if you need anyone. Thanks.
    I sent an email and got no reply. It gave a couple of my writing credits and asked for more detaiuls and an indication of payment. I was a bit surprised to get no response at all.
    Six books!! I don't remember that. When did that happen? http://thewhiterajah.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Tom from UK View Post
    I sent an email and got no reply. It gave a couple of my writing credits and asked for more detaiuls and an indication of payment. I was a bit surprised to get no response at all.
    Yeah, that's kind of how I felt. Oh well. Guess she doesn't really need people.

Smile, evolution has blessed you Stryker's Avatar
    I smell something fishy. I hope my pet clam didn't die.

Not enough information from the start. Writing about what? Articles... millions of topics. What or who do you represent?

Idk about a pet clam dying, Stryker. Maybe a beached whale?

Btw, DON'T use dynamite for that. It will go worse than initially expected.

Never Surrender AW Moderator Maryn's Avatar
    Clammy? Clammy, what have they done to you!

Bravo to those seeking concrete information.

AW asks that pay rates be included in the subject line of all Paying Markets posts. (See the RULES OF THE PAYING MARKETS FORUM: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING A NEW THREAD/COMMENTING thread.) This post doesn’t include the pay rate at all, much less in the subject line.

Telling us the pay varies is telling us nothing. Are we talking five bucks for 200 words? A hundred for a thousand? We need to have some clue what the range is and what length would be associated with each end of the range.

Why do we need this? We've had repeated problems with our members being critical of pay rates. By putting what you're paying for how many words right in the subject line, AW’s writers need never even open posts for paying markets whose pay rate they consider unacceptable for themselves. Problem solved--but only if everyone posting complies with our rules. This post doesn't.

Experience says that expecting AW members to contact the OP privately about pay rate, or to get the information from a linked website, won’t do it. In fact, we’ve found it fairly common to have to scour many pages of the website for mention of pay, or for the linked guidelines to have no mention of pay rate at all.

In light of the complete lack of replies to those who have credentials and sought concrete information on pay rates, I suspect this is no longer a legitimate offer. Maybe it never was.

Maryn, leery
    Get to work. Success isn't built on the power of your dreams.

Brick by Brick, a ménage à trois novel
    Taming the Wilde, FemDom spotted--and striped--in the wild
    Men in Love, anthology about--hey, you're already there, aren't you?
    Maryn Says, an irregular blog almost never about writing
    The Occasional Tweet

Hi,

I am sorry for the vague details. Also, I am sorry if I did not follow the guidelines. Let me try and explain a little more. This will be ghost writing for the most part. I have a variety of clients and the work really does change on a day to day to basis. If I could give you more details, I would. On an average, a writer can expect to earn around $10.00 per 500 word article. I do have some jobs that are more, it really does depend on the client needs. Each job is posted in a project managament system with due date, pay rate and details. It is up to claim the job if it meets your needs. You are never obligated to take any job.

I have some writers doing Wiki pages, which generally is around $100.00 and have some recurring seo jobs as well.

On a whole, the jobs will change daily. I do hope that answers a bit more.

As far as not getting back to you some of you, I am sorry. I went on vacation and came home only to sprain my ankle pretty bad and now need surgery. So please excuse the lateness in my responses. With that being said, I am still looking for a few more dedicated writers that are looking for some additional work.

Thanks and I do promise to respond to any and all emails

Angry Question

That's funny since you told all of us who write for Writing by Cyndi that you had surgery a few weeks ago and that is why we couldn't get paid. What's the real story?

Where are all these jobs at because your job posting site has been dead for 2 weeks, half of us are under the impression that you're closing up shop due to the lack of work and the myriad reasons/excuses that we're getting concerning the payments you owe.

I'm sorry to post this here on AW, especially if it's against the rules in any way but I think everyone should be aware of what to expect if they sign up with Cyndi. There used to be plenty of work, now all of a sudden there's nothing, certain writers are locked out of projects and the "pro-writers" are now in a separate group- but will any of them be paid on time?

Some of us have been waiting a few months for some invoices to be paid and the excuses keep coming. I'd really like an answer about the surgery statement, because all of us were really concerned about Cyndi's health and her messages from the hospital on her phone were all we had that weekend to explain why we weren't getting paid.

I would hate to think that she's duped us all and is really just busy building a new team and not planning to pay us what she owes.

Quote Originally Posted by ProWriterPrincess View Post
    That's funny since you told all of us who write for Writing by Cyndi that you had surgery a few weeks ago and that is why we couldn't get paid. What's the real story?

Where are all these jobs at because your job posting site has been dead for 2 weeks, half of us are under the impression that you're closing up shop due to the lack of work and the myriad reasons/excuses that we're getting concerning the payments you owe.

I'm sorry to post this here on AW, especially if it's against the rules in any way but I think everyone should be aware of what to expect if they sign up with Cyndi. There used to be plenty of work, now all of a sudden there's nothing, certain writers are locked out of projects and the "pro-writers" are now in a separate group- but will any of them be paid on time?

Some of us have been waiting a few months for some invoices to be paid and the excuses keep coming. I'd really like an answer about the surgery statement, because all of us were really concerned about Cyndi's health and her messages from the hospital on her phone were all we had that weekend to explain why we weren't getting paid.

I would hate to think that she's duped us all and is really just busy building a new team and not planning to pay us what she owes.
    Quoting this one for posterity.

Imagined half of it. Bookewyrme's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom from UK View Post
    I didn't get a response either, and I sent my email over a month ago. Judging by later responses in this thread though, perhaps we should be happy we never got responses.
    Lia Wolff
    Writing Blog: Ex Libris Bookewyrme
    Social Media: @LiaWolff Tumblr

Exclamation

Here's a bit more information: http://www.complaints.com
    It seems she's getting quite a reputation as a scam artist all around the web. There are so many of us waiting to be paid and now we find out that she's not even providing the clients with the work they ask for.

We all want to be paid so most of us are not officially resigning the way some have, but we're not doing any more writing for Cyndi until we are paid. Considering that she owes thousands of dollars at the moment, we aren't holding our breath and are looking for reliable clients that will pay us for our work and not give us 500 excuses about why we can't be paid...just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by writingbycyndi View Post
    This will be ghost writing for the most part.
    Q. Do you outsource to other writers?
    A. ...So, no I do not outsource ...
    Cyndi, am I correct in assuming that you are buying prose from ghostwriters, putting your own name on it as author, and then assuring the client that you wrote it yourself?

Another report of a writer unhappy with Writing by Cyndi is here.
    Co-writer/creator of (On break while the artist works on other projects):

Writer & Artist of Brainfuzz (on hiatus): http://www.drunkduck.com/Brainfuzz/

See, now this is why I love this site. It's an easy way to connect with people who can give you the skinny on how writers are being treated by a particular company/site/person. I responded to her initially b/c someone in this thread said they had a positive experience, but there have now been too many writers claiming to be treated poorly. I'll stay away. Better safe than sorry.Thanks for sharing your experiences.

The OP's own errors in basic English make it clear that she's not a professional editor. (Cyndi, there's a grocer in Columbus who'd like his apostrophes back.)

Quote Originally Posted by Unimportant View Post
    The OP's own errors in basic English make it clear that she's not a professional editor. (Cyndi, there's a grocer in Columbus who'd like his apostrophes back.)
    Yeah, I noticed that on her website too. Riddled with errors. I understand a typo here and there, but an editor with a site dedicated to professional writing probably should have a professionally edited site to advertise her work.

practical experience, FTW caspermac's Avatar
    It's been very interesting reading this thread. I sent an email to cyndi a couple of months ago and never heard back. Judging by the comments on here that's probably a good thing.

All the world's a stage... Creative_Solitude's Avatar
    I applied to write for her site a couple of weeks ago and heard back from her almost immediately. When I saw how little the pay was I changed by mind. My time and writing skills are too valuable to throw them away for such piddlly pay rates.

When I read this thread I realized she was the same person who posted this thread here and the bells went off in my head.

Never Surrender AW Moderator Maryn's Avatar
    Uh, just a heads-up that at AW we have a policy of not criticizing pay rates. (See http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31330 .) It seems to me there's plenty more to dissuade the would-be writer about this venture than the fact that she cannot afford to pay more.

Maryn, knowing you meant no harm
    Get to work. Success isn't built on the power of your dreams.

Brick by Brick, a ménage à trois novel
    Taming the Wilde, FemDom spotted--and striped--in the wild
    Men in Love, anthology about--hey, you're already there, aren't you?
    Maryn Says, an irregular blog almost never about writing
    The Occasional Tweet

All the world's a stage... Creative_Solitude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maryn View Post
    Uh, just a heads-up that at AW we have a policy of not criticizing pay rates. (See http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31330 .) It seems to me there's plenty more to dissuade the would-be writer about this venture than the fact that she cannot afford to pay more.

Maryn, knowing you meant no harm

Oops! My bad as well as my apologies. Thanks for the heads up. A newbie here still learning the ropes.

Angry Keep a Sharp Eye Out

It appears that Writing by Cyndi has been disbanded with many writers left searching for methods to collect what is owed to them. But be aware that Ms. Slick hasn't gone away- there's a new site up that offers content services from " a small team of creative writers whose passion for the written word is evident in every piece of content created. Our team is comprised of a select group of writers who come from various backgrounds. The unique mix of writing backgrounds enable us to provide you with the content you need at affordable rates." While her name may not be listed on the site several of the sample pieces are hers, while others are by writers who are involved with her latest incarnation to scam writers and clients.

Writers beware!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast