The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hellfire Publishing

Ready to kick the WIP's butt! Haunted_October's Avatar

Hellfire Publishing

I could have sworn there was a thread around here somewhere but I can't seem to find it.

Anyway, I just wanted people's opinion on Hellfire. It seems relatively new.

http://www.hellfirepublishing.com

Libby Bishop (romance writing alter-ego): twitter / blog

Editing all the time E. S. Lark's Avatar
    Doesn't look professional to me. When you click on a book, you're told to make the purchase through Smashwords. I thought most ebook companies sold the books themselves? This doesn't look good to me. The site is attractive, but if they're taking 40% from Smashwords sales, that doesn't leave much for the writer.

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Read a bunch of their titles. How's their editing, and how's their publicity, and how are their covers?

Are they getting their books reviewed?

How are their sales figures?

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Characters, you care about
    You were asking about editing? This is their freaking masthead.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Hmmm... I think I disagree. Captcha's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CaoPaux View Post
    You were asking about editing? This is their freaking masthead.
    So get em while their hot.
    Also on their home page.

Wilde about Oscar aliceshortcake's Avatar
    Good God - punctuation abuse alert!

Back in the black, & staying there! Marian Perera's Avatar
    Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
    Major red flag: although they describe themselves as a small company (which is why marketing has to be a "cooperative effort" between author and publisher), they take all genres.

An interview with their executive editor:

I am an executive editor, which is a fancy word for slush reader, lol. I have been an executive editor since September 2010. I have been a writer for over twenty years... My particular job is to make sure that the stories that come across my desk, have the complete package.
    They'd better. I wouldn't trust Hellfire to edit a shopping list.

"The novel has a dark, eerie, fairy-tale feel." Washington Post's review of The Beast Prince

AmazonWebsite

In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
    I read the bio page.

I cried for the sake of the English language.

Latest story in December 2013 issue of EQMM.

Eeyore was saying to himself, “This writing business. Pencils and what-not. Over-rated if you ask me. Silly stuff. Nothing in it.” A.A. Milne

Murder isn't so bad...
    Quote Originally Posted by jaksen View Post
    I read the bio page.

I cried for the sake of the English language.

More like attempted to read the about page. With all those mis-used commas I couldn't even tell what I was reading. Here's a quote from the executive EDITOR:
    "She believes, without writers the world as we know would cease to exist."
    What is up with that comma?

Quote Originally Posted by MysteryRiter View Post
    More like attempted to read the about page. With all those mis-used commas I couldn't even tell what I was reading. Here's a quote from the executive EDITOR:
    You, just don't know how to write. It's obvious that, this is just a pause as if to take a breath or, something, similar.

Eeyore was saying to himself, “This writing business. Pencils and what-not. Over-rated if you ask me. Silly stuff. Nothing in it.” A.A. Milne

Murder isn't so bad...
    Quote Originally Posted by jaksen View Post
    You, just don't know how to write. It's obvious that, this is just a pause as if to take a breath or, something, similar.

Made, me laugh!

Just another face in a red jumpsuit shelleyo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MysteryRiter View Post
    It's the one that was missing from the sentence before it:

Dawn Binkley, a writer since her late teens is driven by the written word.

The COPY EDITOR has this sentence in her bio:

My library card was one of my most cherished positions.

I think this is another publisher that gets an A for enthusiasm but not much else. This is why people need to carefully read publishers' websites and some of the books they put out. After reading all the mistakes on the site, I wouldn't expect much from their books.

Shelley
    Last edited by shelleyo; 09-18-2011 at 02:45 AM.
    "Now, come on, as you guys get older you'll realize people don't mean to be obnoxious, it's just that they're all screwed up inside." -- Joel, MST3K, Gamera

She doesn't capitalize her two cats' names either. But that's enough from me. If I keep up the criticism, somebody might go looking for my writing to pull apart, too.

Edit add: Haha, missed the part about the library card positions. Mine fav. is over behind the history stacks.
    Last edited by jaksen; 09-18-2011 at 04:09 AM. Reason: haha

Murder isn't so bad...
    I know. I'm done too. I don't want to offend anyone who is published with them or who works, there. Okay, that was the last joke.

Just another face in a red jumpsuit shelleyo's Avatar
    Oh, we all make mistakes. But as editors and copy-editors, they really should present themselves more professionally. I think those are fair criticisms, especially from writers who might be considering them.

They do have some pretty covers. The proceeds from one title goes to St. Jude's. A for enthusiasm. But it takes more than enthusiasm, or I'd be dictating this to my houseboy while reclining on my fainting couch and trying to decide which personal chef to employ.

Shelley
    "Now, come on, as you guys get older you'll realize people don't mean to be obnoxious, it's just that they're all screwed up inside." -- Joel, MST3K, Gamera

Murder isn't so bad...
    Quote Originally Posted by shelleyo View Post
    A for enthusiasm. But it takes more than enthusiasm, or I'd be dictating this to my houseboy while reclining on my fainting couch and trying to decide which personal chef to employ.

Shelley
    That's an "if only" moment...
    *sighs*
    It is really terrible, though, that the editors don't even take the time to edit their public bio page! They don't even bother. I'm a teenager and I feel like a more proficient editor. I know I'm not, but a boy can dream...
    Last edited by MysteryRiter; 03-31-2012 at 11:37 PM.

I looked at the bios for the excutive editor, editor, and copy-editor. Beyond a love of reading, especially in the copy editor's case, and the excutive editor being a "well-known" published author (and I would argue the use of well-known here), I see no meaningful editorial experience among them.

-- hmmm, now I am looking askance at my own comma usage... I blame it on reading too much Poe. It hurts my ability to cut down on the liberal sprinkling of commas within my prose when I see how skillfully he made it work.

Murder isn't so bad...
    Other than editorial issues, they look pretty good. Unfortunately, editorial is the main piece to an independent publisher and with that gone...

Quote Originally Posted by shelleyo View Post

The COPY EDITOR has this sentence in her bio:

My library card was one of my most cherished positions.
    Too much information.

Just Another Transman Chris1981's Avatar
    As a reader, the numerous mistakes on the publisher's Web site give me reason to doubt the quality of the titles. The odds of me buying from this publisher are extremely small.

Quote Originally Posted by DelicatePrincess View Post
    ...and the excutive editor being a "well-known" published author (and I would argue the use of well-known here), I see no meaningful editorial experience among them.

I would ditto that argument, sorry to say. "Well-known" is something it's extremely difficult for writers to be; there are very few writers out there who are actually "well-known," IMO, and most of them turn up way more than >6000 hits when Googled. In fact, most authors I still wouldn't consider "well-known" show a larger number than >6000 when Googled, and have autofinishes set up on Google, too.

That author has an excerpt of her book on her site, which is also on the Hellfire site. It has...problems, with grammar, punctuation, and style (including misused/incorrect dialogue tags).

So it seems the errors do not only exist in bios, where you might think the editors in question were simply typing quickly or not proofreading as carefully. (And for that reason I chose a book by one of the editors to link to, rather than an author whose work may have been made incorrect by the editors through no fault of their own.)

So, yeah...newbie micropress loaded with language/grammar/punctuation errors, and an editorial staff unaware of those errors? I'd give it a pass.
    http://www.staciakane.com

FIVE DOWN, a Downside anthology, available now!
    Four previously published short stories and one brand new novella, together in one volume.

Click here for more details.

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

An extract from one of Hellfire's books:

"The door to the bathroom opened easily, exposing a small marbled floor with an elegant ivory sink and toilet before her. Lyn quickly entered swiftly, locking the door behind her."

I could go on but it's too easy.

Banned
    Ouch.

I know. I quickly read through the extract swiftly and that's just one of the errors that fairly jumped off the screen.

Murder isn't so bad...
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceshortcake View Post

"Lyn quickly entered swiftly, locking the door behind her."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast