Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Gunsmithing

Fish from another stream Kevans's Avatar

Gunsmithing

Scored a new barrel today. (18 inch bull pup marksman model) It fits a Ruger 10 22 action, I'm going to get a old action and build me a steam punk side arm. Probably a pistol with an eighteen inch barrel, complete with top mounted scope.
    Regards,
    Kevin

resident curmudgeon
    If it has an eighteen inch barrel, it's probably going to be classified as a rifle, not a pistol. All it needs to be counted as a rifle is a sixteen inch barrel, and an overall length of twenty-six inches.

This saves a lot of hassle with permits, and where and how you can carry and use it. I'd love to see the completed version.

Fish from another stream Kevans's Avatar
    It is mostly an excuse to carve a custom stock, the Ruger action is very reliable, and the rest of the parts are literally found hardware.

I am thinking of an English civil war grip, stock, with brass banding, and perhaps a detachable shoulder extension. It will be something decorative, that shoots straight.

Give it three or four months, I have a pair of novels to finish first. Sigh.

Regards,

Kevin

resident curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevans View Post
    It is mostly an excuse to carve a custom stock, the Ruger action is very reliable, and the rest of the parts are literally found hardware.

I am thinking of an English civil war grip, stock, with brass banding, and perhaps a detachable shoulder extension. It will be something decorative, that shoots straight.

Give it three or four months, I have a pair of novels to finish first. Sigh.

Regards,

Kevin
    the 10/22 is great rifle, but I never thought anyone would come out with a .22 that you can, if you wish, spend thousands on. I have friend who have done just this.

Yours sounds like it will be beautiful. Be sure to post pics.

practical experience, FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesaritchie View Post
    the 10/22 is great rifle, but I never thought anyone would come out with a .22 that you can, if you wish, spend thousands on. I have friend who have done just this.

Yours sounds like it will be beautiful. Be sure to post pics.
    If I bought my target .22 today, new, it would cost in excess of $5000 before I spent any extra money on it at all.

I agree, would love to see pics. I may use the latest aluminium model but I think hand carved wooden stocks are gorgeous

resident curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by skylark View Post
    If I bought my target .22 today, new, it would cost in excess of $5000 before I spent any extra money on it at all.

I agree, would love to see pics. I may use the latest aluminium model but I think hand carved wooden stocks are gorgeous
    You don't happen to know anyone who makes custom aluminum stocks, do you?

practical experience, FTW
    The closest to custom I know of is these folks:

http://www.hps-tr.com/prods_ultra_stocks.asp

That strange burbling noise you hear is the sound of me coveting one.

resident curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by skylark View Post
    The closest to custom I know of is these folks:

http://www.hps-tr.com/prods_ultra_stocks.asp

That strange burbling noise you hear is the sound of me coveting one.
    Thanks for the link. Didn't know about these guys. Sure are pretty.