What is the correct way...

ShadowCat

Registered
Reaction score
I am a little stuck with a scene I am editing in which, the school is across the road, and my character notices it. Anyway, my problem is what is the correct way the write high? I mean, is that capitalized or not?

example - School Name High or School Name high

I know it isn't a big problem but it is driving me nuts, I hope it capitalized because, to me, that looks better.

Thank you in advance. :)

Last edited:

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's been a damned long time since I was at school, but the one I went to was called 'Arsewipe High School' (name changed to protect the guilty). All capitalised.

I suppose if you are going to leave the 'School' off the end, the 'High' still gets capitalised.

Snick

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
If "high" is part of the name, then it would be capitalized, for example, Jonesborough High School. If you shortened it to Jonesborough High, then it would still be capitalized. If you were to mention a high school in Jonesborough, then you would use lower case.

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
when I went to school it was many moons ago and the name was capitalized, it was a saint's name. But for the life of me I couldn't remember if the high or the school were. So I just wanted to double check.
:)

Lol, sometimes it's the most simple that trips us up.

Just a side note... I noticed you're English (Okay, so the location was a big giveaway)... some secondary schools have taken on college/academy status. That may be useful if you're writing a contemporary setting and you want to move with the changes, or show the changes (new name, same old class system etc).

But, yeah, all upper-case: Mumford High...

Snick

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
@Fallen - That is true that the small things catch you out.

Yeah, I'm from Yorkshire but my novel is mainly set in the US. I had completely forgotten about that new academy status coming in, so, if I wanted in a future book to have an academy instead of a high school would that be the same.

example: Nightingale Academy

Don't be concerned about whether a U.S. high school is called an "academy" or a "high school". "Academy" has been in that use for many years, and it simply indicates that there was either a private school taken public, or someone wanted to have a nicer name.

Nightingale Academy would work fine as a name.

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
@Fallen - That is true that the small things catch you out.

Yeah, I'm from Yorkshire but my novel is mainly set in the US. I had completely forgotten about that new academy status coming in, so, if I wanted in a future book to have an academy instead of a high school would that be the same.

example: Nightingale Academy

Yeah, same for change to a college: Mumford Technical College, Mumford Sports College.

Take note what Snitch says too. I'm not up on American school/college/academy and it's always good to gather loads of info for future use. :)