Look, I'm new and lame! :D

Aberrant Fantastic

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, everyone. I'm really glad to have found this place, you know? I think it's just what I need, living in a tiny little town devoid of writers besides myself. I'm not really sure what to put here...

I love writing, obviously, and I have a variety of ideas that I've been trying to put into novel form for years and years. As I'm just out of high school and about to start college, I haven't been doing a lot of serious writing, as I haven't really had time. Mostly I've been playing around with ideas until I get bored of them, and then start a new one. My attention span is terrible...

Right now I have an idea for a sort of fantasy story, though I haven't been making any headway on it. The biggest issue I'm dealing with right now is having great characters and no plot, or having a great plot and no characters. This current story's problem is that I have great characters, and a lame, stereotypical plot. It makes me sad :(

Anyway, here I am, whether you like it or not!

DeaK

Registered
Reaction score
Umm, I like it! Welcome!

Ashes Oh Ashes

Honest, not Harsh
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blogofron.com
Aberrant? That happens to be my favorite word. :)

I also suffer from a terrible attention span! So I know how it feels. Best of luck, and welcome!

Mandiloo322

[Shhhh....I'm writing.]
Registered
Reaction score
... I love writing, obviously, and I have a variety of ideas that I've been trying to put into novel form for years and years. As I'm just out of high school and about to start college, I haven't been doing a lot of serious writing, as I haven't really had time. ...

Right now I have an idea for a sort of fantasy story, though I haven't been making any headway on it. The biggest issue I'm dealing with right now is having great characters and no plot, or having a great plot and no characters. This current story's problem is that I have great characters, and a lame, stereotypical plot. It makes me sad :(

Anyway, here I am, whether you like it or not!

Welcome!

As a recent college graduate, I thought I would offer you the idea that you will never have "time to write" - so don't hold out for that unless you have a windfall of gold on way (and if you do, don't tell me!). :) You have to claim the random spare hours you find here and there. Sounds like you have a jump on me though - I put off writing for way too long waiting for "the right time", so good for you to start now!

I also write fantasy, so I know what you mean about stereotypical plots. Don't be afraid of the things that make the genre fantasy - if you have good characters or your own twist on magic or a world that is super fun to explore, the stereotypes won't matter. Just write what you have - I've found that it usually evolves into something more original the more you work on it.

This was a long welcome - don't worry, not everyone is as verbose! ;)

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.
How do you like your popcorn?

If you go to the bottom of the page to the ‘forum jump’ you can scroll down and find all the areas of this place. Most of the SYW areas require the password of ….vista. A word to the wise, (50 posts), it would be a good idea to participate first in helping others before you think about posting your own work. After you have been around here for awhile, then post something of your own for help. Good luck.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages.They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Don’t forget to read the FAQ regarding posting pictures at AW.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. So take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’
works, or join a discussion.

quicksand

Exactly the same size in real life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.daviddufty.com
Welcome.
Just write the damn thing. If your characters are as interesting as you say, they'll sabotage and subvert that 'lame' plot before you know it. Try and stop them!