• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Less Than Three Press

fireflieshaven

Registered
Reaction score
I am thinking of submitting something to Less than Three Press and I was wondering what experiences people have had with this press? Or maybe things you've heard! I am having trouble finding anything on them so any input at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

fireflieshaven

Registered
Reaction score
@brianm - Thanks! I forgot that.

@stormie - Thank you! I Googled and wasn't able to find anything about a writer's experience with the press, though, which was saddening.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I have confirmation that the three owners are Samantha Derr, Megan Derr, and Sarah Miller.

LaylahHunter

Posting on AW instead of writing
Registered
Reaction score
Bumping this thread to see if anyone has experience with them since last year -- has anybody here worked with LT3?

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
I don't personally, but I know at least one author who is, and appears to be pretty happy with them. I've been meaning to buy some of their books for a while; the anthologies look right up my street.

LaylahHunter

Posting on AW instead of writing
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! I'd love to hear it if your friend has any information to share on their editing or their sales figures.

SamanthaLehane

Not all who wander are lost
Registered
Reaction score
I have never heard of this press but I can't figure out if they are new. They seem to have a lot of authors though. I figure that they are large enough to be worthy of a thread about them. [EDIT: I did some more digging on their website and saw that they have books published that date back to late 2009 so they have been at this for three years now.]

Anyone have anything to share about LT3 Press? I'll get the ball rolling with some information taken from their website.

What is LT3 Press:

Less Than Three Press is a strong rising presence in the m/m romance community. Together with a network of highly talented editors, artists, and writers, LT3 provides quality fiction, priding itself on stories that put substance first.

LT3 can be found wherever romance writers linger, advertising across the internet and at various conventions. The company is committed to professional integrity, offering strong editorial support to its talented writers, and excellent customer service.

Always looking for ways to please its readership, LT3 is constantly looking for new ways to reach out and offer quality fiction, from traditional print to digital, with plans to expand into interactive novels and other media formats.

LT3 is a labor of love between three women who wanted to write and publish books, but wanted to do it their way—with other people who love what they do, for people who love to read great romance, with high-quality, well-edited stories that are also affordable, engaging, and always come with that famous happy end.

Owners:

LT3 is primarily staffed and run by:
Megan Derr—Chief Operations Officer
Samantha Derr—Chief Financial Officer and Editor in Chief
Sasha Miller—Chief Information Officer
London Burden—Marketing Director
LT3 also employs a number of contracted editors and cover artists. You can learn more about the authors, editors, and artists employed by Less Than Three Press on the biographies page.

[EDIT: The owners publish their own fiction through LT3 Press.]

Payment & Royalties:

General Serial Fiction
Subscription time
10% of gross earnings from subscription sales while in serial

General Ebook
40% of cover price for all sales through LT3's Ebook Market
35% of gross earnings for sales through 3rd party distributors
Author copies

General Print
10% of cover price for all sales of print books
Author copies

Anthology Fiction
Subscription time
One-time payment of $125 - $200 (varies according to anthology)
Author copies of ebook and print

Fairy Tales Serial Fiction
Subscription time
5% of gross earnings from subscription sales while the fairy tale is in serial
One-time payment of $100
Author copies of ebook and print anthologies in which they are compiled

Last edited:

Oldbrasscat

Making stuff up...or maybe sleeping
Registered
Reaction score
In a bunker, lobbing grenades at the plot bunnies.
Storm Moon does the same thing, except that they release each story as an individual one a year after, and then you get royalties. I don't think it's unusual, though I've seen it done where you shared the author royalties with everyone else in the antho, which works out to 5-10% royalties.

SamanthaLehane

Not all who wander are lost
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to the mod who moved this! My search-fu must have been weak because I didn't find this.

ccbridges

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ccbridges.net
Anyone have any updated info? I found an anthology call from this press that I'm interested in, but I don't know anyone who's worked with them.

c.m.n.

Beary cute ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Registered
Reaction score
I have an anthology story with them. They're great to work with. Accepted and published on time via their schedule, and they offer a free six month subscription to their serials when the story was accepted (although I'm not sure if they still do).

Publisher posts frequently on FB and Twitter. I know quite a few other authors with them as well.

Many of their anthologies pay a one-time $200 if you're accepted. This doesn't include serials, they're paid a percentage.

Anna_Hedley

Fuelled by tea and crumpets.
Registered
Reaction score
My experience with them so far has been positive. I've had two very intense edits for my manuscript, and it's in the middle of copy edits now. Their communication is excellent. They've answered all of my questions promptly and thoroughly.

I can't comment on sales yet, as my release isn't until October, but I do see them making a lot of effort to promote their titles.

Qui Amat Scribere

sed qui usquam procrastinates.
Registered
Reaction score
My partner, as well as one of my very good friends, have published several stories with them. The company is very transparent and a pleasure to work with, and from what I've heard, most of their authors are great people. My partner has always received royalties on time, with a very clear break-down of sales and such. Edits are always completed in a timely manner, too.

I think this is their fifth year in business? I remember my partner mentioning that one of the owners said that August 2014 was their best month yet, so the company seems to be going strong. (However, they're not the biggest in business when it comes to queer romance. Off the top of my head, I think Riptide, Dreamspinner and Samhain are bigger and probably do more sales.)

They publish everything now except for traditional straight romance (so, nothing cis-gendered guy/girl), which includes stories with transgender protagonists, poly relationships, etc. They're pretty easy to get into, too - I'll be considering them when I'm ready to submit, but I might go for the bigger publishers first.

Last edited:

az shea

Copy editor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aszanoni.blogspot.com
I don't have any experience with them myself [not as a freelancer]. Today I heard they'd a new antho call open -- through 31-March-16.

Fairytales Slashed. All HFN or HEA, no het. Best of luck, folks!

(Ahhh, Interweb, our source of the big acronyms and abbreviations!)

Zombie Fraggle

Thick Skin Pre-Installed
Registered
Reaction score
I submitted a story to the Fairytales Slashed 7 anthology mentioned above. Before making the submission, I wrote to the editor (Samantha Derr) with a list of questions. My questions were answered to my satisfaction within hours in a single, concise, professional email.

I emailed my submission on the last possible day, as I hadn't heard of the call until ten days prior to that and had no story written at that time. Inspiration struck, I wrote the story in two days, and spent every last second remaining in the submission period polishing the hell out of that sucker. I followed the submission requirements to the letter and received a submission receipt in my email the next morning.

Two days shy of five weeks have elapsed since I made the submission. I'm not antsy or anything yet (okay, well, maybe a little), but I am curious. Does anyone know how long LT3 typically takes to send acceptances/rejections for their anthology calls?

c.m.n.

Beary cute ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Registered
Reaction score
Zombie,

It does say on their submissions guidelines to give them at least 4-6 weeks for a response when submitting to an anthology. So you have at least another week and two days to go. If they haven't contacted you by week 7, I would send them a polite nudge. :)

Zombie Fraggle

Thick Skin Pre-Installed
Registered
Reaction score
Zombie,

It does say on their submissions guidelines to give them at least 4-6 weeks for a response when submitting to an anthology. So you have at least another week and two days to go. If they haven't contacted you by week 7, I would send them a polite nudge. :)

Ack, I must have missed that mention. Thanks!

ccbridges

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ccbridges.net
I wish you much luck! I had a great experience working with them for the Silver and Gold anthology.

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
LESS THAN THREE PRESS

Does anyone have information about Less Than Three Press? I ran a search in this forum, without success.
Thanks muchly :)
C