To build or not to build a new PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
So, if all goes as planned, I'll be able to build a new desktop from scratch before the end of summer. I'm just not sure if I should.
I've been using this laptop to play games for the last two years. It's starting to show its age (and reminding me that it's a laptop) but it can still play most current games, at least on minimum settings.
So I'm not sure if I should build the new PC now, in anticipation of the upcoming wave of new games that my laptop won't be able to handle, or wait until the majority of games are actually becoming unplayable, and then go for it, and also get somewhat better hardware when I finally sit down to build.
It's slightly complicated because I try to buy rather cheap, and thus, older, games, which the laptop has a better chance of running. But for especially lauded and anticipated games I'll make exceptions.
Another complication is that I head up to university again after this summer, and I'd prefer not to build a PC up there...

It would help if I could ascertain when new hardware releases are coming out so I can stretch out my time to building. Don't know any site that has any such record though...

Thoughts?

third person

She blinded me--with magic!
Registered
Reaction score
My HP DV6700 has played every high-end FPS game there was for the last three years. All on max settings. (NOT Crysis. That game was...a practical joke the devil pulled on PC gamers)

Specs:
3gb RAM
Intel Core 2 duo @1.60ea
nVidia 8400m GT

No overclocking, no hacks of any kind. I've used it for writing and hardcore gaming for THREE years. Abused the hell out of it. It's still kicking. If you read the reviews for this thing, it had a rep for being a problematic machine. Bad PSU, bad battery, etc. Nah. Not my baby. I took care of her. Laptop fan underneath at all times. Always sleep, never shut off completely. Kept clean of dust...when I can remember to do it. The only thing that's showing signs of breaking down is the DVD drive. Good care can reward you!

So my point to all this boasting is this: unless you plan to shell out $,$$$ for a pro gamer laptop, I don't think you can go wrong with an "entertainment laptop" like the one I have from HP.

Last edited:

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
My specs are:
Vista 64-bit
4GB RAM
Intel Core 2 Duo T9550, 2.66 Ghz (Can't remember if that's separate or combined though.)
nVidia Geforce GT 130M
640 GB (320+320) HD

third person

She blinded me--with magic!
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing about that says you should have to put up with low settings. AT ALL. Your video card is a generation above mine, even. I played everything for the last 3 years on high settings. Many of the games you mention in this subforum, even. Might just be your RAM is getting used up by unnecessary programs and processes. Before I run a game I shut everything down. Even my firewall and all programs linked to providing internet access. When I'm done my PC is only using 550-560 MB of RAM to run itself while I game.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Could be I suppose, Norton in particular could be the resource hog but I'm hesitant to shut that down, particularly when I'm playing online games.
I have Game Booster 2, that helps a bit, it usually frees around ~170 RAM when I turn it on.

Edit: Checked it out, according to Game Booster, once I've stopped all programs, my processes use:
1-7% CPU (It moved around a bit)
~1.1 GB (That's over a quarter of my RAM...damn)
And my page file size is ~1.9 GB (Does that seem about right? Or is it too large/small?)

Last edited:

Desirai

Registered
Reaction score
I would say YES if you have the desire, time, knowledge and funds to build one. My computer is a desktop and I built it in 2008. In 2008, I used all of the top of the line parts available, and the total came out to be a little over $1200.

Now, it's 2011.. it is starting to show its age. It isn't capable of handling games as well as it used to. I've had to replace a few parts. I recently upgraded the graphics and the ram. I had 4gb and a 32x OS, now I have 8gb and a 64x Windows 7. I had to replace a hard drive that crashed a few months ago. The monitor has dead pixels in the screen.

If I had the money right now, I would rebuild. But I don't really have that kind of money, SO.

edit: ALSO.... if you have a 64x OS, you should have more ram. 64x can recognize over 16gb of ram, whereas 32x can only recognize 2gb (and use even less.) So you have enormous potential there.

Last edited:

RemusShepherd

Banned
Flounced
VPXI
Reaction score
Website
remus-shepherd.livejournal.com
I just build a new PC, using parts that are about a year old but more than capable of handling any game on the market. (Phenom x4 955 CPU, Radeon 6850 graphics card, 1Tb 7200 RPM drive.) I encourage anyone to build their own PC -- it's easier than ever, there are lots of how-tos on the web to help you, and you'll get a much better machine for your buck than any other way.

Whether or not you should build one NOW is a different question, one that I think only you can answer. If you don't have the time then you may want to put it off for another day.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Right now time isn't an issue, it would be later however.
I'm leaning towards building sometime in late July.

If you want, you can go to my pearltree (link in my sig) and go to Gaming>PCs>Construction Site. All the potential parts I'm thinking of are in the trees there, all neatly organized :)
Most of them I've got it down from 1-3 parts to choose from, except for CPU Coolers, I have no idea what I'm doing there.

Any advice is appreciated if you feel like it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.