The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

 

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 58

Thread: Sunbury Press

  1. #1
    New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Narnia
    Posts
    25

    Sunbury Press

    What do you think of this publisher ?


    http://www.sunburypress.com/
    Need Book illustrations : http://penandpaint.webs.com/

  2. #2
    I haven't worked with them personally, so most of my opinion is based on what I've found on the website alone:

    I'm not crazy about the design of the website itself. It sounds like there are no attached fees for getting published here, but the author for the most part is responsible for advertising and getting sales. I'm not a fan of the cover art either, but again that's just my opinion.

    -Natasha

  3. #3
    Tired and Disillusioned Momento Mori's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    3,306
    lweinberg18:
    I'm a bit wary as well, but deferred them on to my agent.
    Unless Sunbury are offering an advance, I'm not seeing anything on Sunbury's website that would automatically make them attractive. Specifically, they say they do POD print books, which means they may not have supply deals in place with bookstores to stock the same.

    MM

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Somewhere between sanity and barking mad
    Posts
    1,622
    I checked their "Bestseller" list, and only one title (out of 11) even showed up in Bookscan (which isn't entirely reliable) with sales at around 150 units. They are "distributed" by Lightning Source.

  5. #5
    Agent, author, human.
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    616
    30 second search bounces back pages of complaints against Lightning Source. That's a no go! Lol
    *opinions are my own*

    Find more about me at:

    My Website
    Twitter
    The Seymour Agency

  6. #6
    Agent, author, human.
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    616
    How do you sign up for Bookscan?
    *opinions are my own*

    Find more about me at:

    My Website
    Twitter
    The Seymour Agency

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Somewhere between sanity and barking mad
    Posts
    1,622
    Quote Originally Posted by lweinberg18 View Post
    How do you sign up for Bookscan?
    It's pretty expensive - the figure of $1500 stands out, but don't quote me because we have a special deal through our distributor, Consortium. It's of particular value to publishers and literary agents to get a feel for how well any particular title is selling. Numbers are based on stores who report their sales to Bookscan. There are many stores who don't, so the sales numbers are more representative than completely reliable.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Somewhere between sanity and barking mad
    Posts
    1,622
    No offense, but why are you looking for publishers? That's your agent's job to know whom to query.

  9. #9
    Agent, author, human.
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    616
    No offense taken. TBH I had queried them before acquiring my agent so, I simply deferred them to him.
    *opinions are my own*

    Find more about me at:

    My Website
    Twitter
    The Seymour Agency

  10. #10
    Agent, author, human.
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    616

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by priceless1 View Post
    I checked their "Bestseller" list, and only one title (out of 11) even showed up in Bookscan (which isn't entirely reliable) with sales at around 150 units. They are "distributed" by Lightning Source.
    Just an FYI in case anyone queries/accepts. My agent and I ultimately passed on Sunbury's contract, but they did offer a nice advance. They wanted all rights for the length of the contract, and a noncompetitive clause, but they were friendly, professional, and seem like a good small press.

    Priceless- I'm confused, would a small press selling the number you suggested be able to offer an advance? I don't know anything about the actual business so, that's why I ask.
    *opinions are my own*

    Find more about me at:

    My Website
    Twitter
    The Seymour Agency

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Somewhere between sanity and barking mad
    Posts
    1,622
    Quote Originally Posted by lweinberg18 View Post
    Priceless- I'm confused, would a small press selling the number you suggested be able to offer an advance? .
    I have no idea if they'd offer an advance. If they did, I'd wager it would be very small. Otherwise, they'd run out of money pretty fast.

  12. #12
    figuring it all out
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    72
    Anyone else have any information?

  13. #13
    Agent, author, human.
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    616
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Musgrave View Post
    Anyone else have any information?
    I just recently saw (on their website) that their best-selling book had been pre-orded "in the thousands." No way of validating that, but I would like to assume it's true. I know the book, "Fireproof Moth" is stocked at Barnes and Noble. At least it is by the ones near me.
    *opinions are my own*

    Find more about me at:

    My Website
    Twitter
    The Seymour Agency

  14. #14
    writer/teacher JL_Benet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    206
    Quote Originally Posted by lweinberg18 View Post
    30 second search bounces back pages of complaints against Lightning Source. That's a no go! Lol
    I can't tell if this was meant to be sarcasm, or do you really not know who Lightning Source is? It's hard to interpret with the "Lol" on the end of the statement.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Somewhere between sanity and barking mad
    Posts
    1,622
    Quote Originally Posted by lweinberg18 View Post
    I just recently saw (on their website) that their best-selling book had been pre-orded "in the thousands." No way of validating that, but I would like to assume it's true. I know the book, "Fireproof Moth" is stocked at Barnes and Noble. At least it is by the ones near me.
    I can validate sales and pre-sales to some degree. What title has thousands in pre-orders?

    As for Fireproof, Bookscan (unreliable, but somewhat representative) lists 174 units sold in nearly a year of publication. This company is "distributed" by Lightning Source, so I can't imagine they are going to enjoy huge orders unless the author has a large platform. If they're enjoying good sales, they're not showing up in all the usual places - bookstores, libraries.

  16. #16
    Banned for Spamming profen4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    1,696
    Quote Originally Posted by priceless1 View Post
    I can validate sales and pre-sales to some degree. What title has thousands in pre-orders?

    As for Fireproof, Bookscan (unreliable, but somewhat representative) lists 174 units sold in nearly a year of publication. This company is "distributed" by Lightning Source, so I can't imagine they are going to enjoy huge orders unless the author has a large platform. If they're enjoying good sales, they're not showing up in all the usual places - bookstores, libraries.
    I know nothing about this press, but bookscan is notoriously unreliable. Last I checked they don't log sales from major retailers such as Walmart, Costco ...etc, and don't log sale made from digital vendors such as Amazon, B&N.com, Chapters.com ... etc.

    Do they even register sales to libraries?

    Point is, small presses could be selling thousands of a title through online vendors and show a goose-egg on Bookscan.
    Last edited by CaoPaux; 02-18-2016 at 10:46 PM. Reason: code weirdness

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Somewhere between sanity and barking mad
    Posts
    1,622
    Quote Originally Posted by swhibs123 View Post
    bookscan is notoriously unreliable.
    I have always clarified that Bookscan is unreliable, but they can be representative. No, they don't record library sales or the warehouses. However, it also goes to reason that if those places are buying books in the thousands, then you can be certain the mainstream stores are as well. At least, I've always found this to be the case. For instance, one of our books have sold over 25,000 units, but Bookscan reports sales at around 20,000. I can live with that. But I have very good distribution in place. This publisher is with LSI, who has no sales teams in place to pitch their titles, so I have my doubts as to their abilities until I see some solid numbers that verify these claims.
    Last edited by priceless1; 12-05-2011 at 12:35 AM.

  18. #18
    Banned for Spamming profen4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    1,696
    Quote Originally Posted by priceless1 View Post
    I have always clarified that Bookscan is unreliable, but they can be representative. No, they don't record library sales or the warehouses. However, it also goes to reason that if those places are buying books in the thousands, then you can be certain the mainstream stores are as well. At least, I've always found this to be the case. For instance, one of our books have sold over 25,000 units, but Bookscan reports sales at around 20,000. I can live with that. But I have very good distribution in place. This publisher is with LSI, who has no sales teams in place to pitch their titles, so I have my doubts as to their abilities until I see some solid numbers that verify these claims.
    Wasn't saying that you said otherwise, sorry if that's what it seemed. Though I seem to recall you mentioned something a while back about how you didn't think that Bookscan was a realistic reflection of actual sales. Is that not the case anymore? ETA: I thought it could still be off by as much as 60%.

    In any case, I meant only to reiterate that point. But no in store distribution /=/ no sales. Nor does it = no sales teams. Book store sales are great and the vast majority of sales happen through stores, but a savvy publisher can get decent (in the thousands) sales with online vendors.

    Writers just have to do their homework - which is what I would advocate with all presses, this one included.
    Last edited by profen4; 12-05-2011 at 01:51 AM.

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Somewhere between sanity and barking mad
    Posts
    1,622
    Quote Originally Posted by swhibs123 View Post
    you didn't think that Bookscan was a realistic reflection of actual sales. Is that not the case anymore? ETA: I thought it could still be off by as much as 60%.
    It depends on the book. If, for example, the book is a mystery, sales may be unusually lopsided with the mystery bookstores, which are indie stores and may not report to Bookscan. In that case, the sales figures could be wonky.

    OTOH, if the sales are that lopsided, then it may not take long for the mainstream bookstores to jump on the bandwagon and put through some purchase orders. The long and short of it, though, is that this particular publisher doesn't have a sales distribution channel, so it's going to be harder to know their books exist.

  20. #20
    Agent, author, human.
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    616
    Quote Originally Posted by priceless1 View Post
    I can validate sales and pre-sales to some degree. What title has thousands in pre-orders?

    As for Fireproof, Bookscan (unreliable, but somewhat representative) lists 174 units sold in nearly a year of publication. This company is "distributed" by Lightning Source, so I can't imagine they are going to enjoy huge orders unless the author has a large platform. If they're enjoying good sales, they're not showing up in all the usual places - bookstores, libraries.
    Oh sorry it took so long to get back here. I've been drenched with this final. The book I saw that was pre-ordered in the "thousands" was Prince and the Paupers.

    As for Fireproof, when I was offered a contract, I called several local Barnes and Nobles to see if they had any instore. I was really surprised that they all did, to be honest.
    *opinions are my own*

    Find more about me at:

    My Website
    Twitter
    The Seymour Agency

  21. #21
    Petulantly Penitent Magdalen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Insignificant
    Posts
    6,361
    Quote Originally Posted by lweinberg18 View Post
    I just a query answered by this press, asking for a full of my mss. I'm a bit wary as well, but deferred them on to my agent. :-\
    Quote Originally Posted by lweinberg18 View Post
    No offense taken. TBH I had queried them before acquiring my agent so, I simply deferred them to him.
    Definition of DEFER

    transitive verb
    : to delegate to another <he could defer his job to no one J. A. Michener>

    intransitive verb
    : to submit to another's wishes, opinion, or governance usually through deference or respect <deferred to her father's wishes>
    [My Best Work Is Done Offline]


  22. #22
    Agent, author, human.
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    616
    Quote Originally Posted by Magdalen View Post
    Definition of DEFER

    transitive verb
    : to delegate to another <he could defer his job to no one J. A. Michener>

    intransitive verb
    : to submit to another's wishes, opinion, or governance usually through deference or respect <deferred to her father's wishes>
    Really???? Yes, I deferred them to my agent. I delegated, as in saying, "Deal with my agent." More appropriately I should have said I deferred to my agent. However, I apologize my lack of linguistic mastery was not up to your standards
    *opinions are my own*

    Find more about me at:

    My Website
    Twitter
    The Seymour Agency

  23. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Somewhere between sanity and barking mad
    Posts
    1,622
    Quote Originally Posted by lweinberg18 View Post
    The book I saw that was pre-ordered in the "thousands" was Prince and the Paupers.
    Interesting...the title isn't even listed in Bookscan.

  24. #24
    Agent, author, human.
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    616
    Quote Originally Posted by priceless1 View Post
    Interesting...the title isn't even listed in Bookscan.
    To be fair I saw it on their press release.
    *opinions are my own*

    Find more about me at:

    My Website
    Twitter
    The Seymour Agency

  25. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Somewhere between sanity and barking mad
    Posts
    1,622
    Welllll press releases are as as press releases do. Facts are that many of their books are distributed by Lightning Source, which isn't real distribution. Unless they have a great marketing team, or their authors are great marketers, then I don't see how they have the capability to sell books.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Custom Search