Advertising: What works?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GradyHendrix

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm curious to know what works for people in terms of paid advertising? There are so many options out there, from Facebook and Goodreads, to print advertising, that I'm a bit lost about where to spend the paltry amount of advertising money I have to promote my book.

So I turn to the internet: what has worked for you in terms of paid advertising? Anything? What did you think wasn't worth it? What rocked your sales? What didn't?

brimfire

Registered
Reaction score
I experimented with Facebook Ads a month ago. Tomorrow (Monday) on the Magic & Mayhem Writers blog, I'm posting about how I set up the ad campaign and then next week, I'm posting my results. Quick preview: I like Facebook Ads, but they can get expensive quickly.

I'm planning on also trying out Google Adwords since I received a $100 credit when I signed up with my hosting company (GoDaddy.com). Not so sure how that will work, but I'll post my results on it as well.

GradyHendrix

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for this - I'm actually eagerly looking forward to the results! Any chance you might share them, roughly, here? I'm curious when you talk about them getting expensive quick.

One thing I'm hoping to do is use the Facebook ad to drive fans to the page for the book, and give away a ton of copies. I have something like 30 copies to give away over a two month period, so I'm hoping to target the ad on Facebook read something like, "Click for a chance to win a signed copy." Which is WAY too long for a Facebook ad, so I'm desperately cutting characters. I'm hoping that might work well - everyone likes free things, right?

Last edited:

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
If you have physical copies to give away, have you thought of creating a Goodreads event? I held one for a give-away and had a metric ton of entrants (many of whom put my book on their TBR pile and/or bought it after they didn't win) Go to 'explore' and 'giveaways' and you can create a giveaway. Then promo the heck out of it! Is free too.

brimfire

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Grady,

The quick summary is that I spent $76.66 over about 2 1/2 days to gain a total of 62 new likes. That comes out to around $1.24 for each new follower. I guess it's not a terrible number, but lets say I ran the ad for a week. That would be $125 and maybe 120 likes. My problem, though, is that I like Facebook ads so much, I'd want to run it continuously. LOL

Of course, I could just set my daily limit lower and have the likes trickle in over time. :)

One thing I wanted to mention: Facebook recently changed its Terms of Service so that it has zero legal responsibility when it comes to contests run on FB pages. Technically, if they find out you're running a contest, they can close your account. And if any contest entrants gets mad or annoyed and decides to sue, you're completely liable. Historical romance writer, Ashley March, summarized the changes here: http://www.ashleymarch.com/blog/?p=1439

Just letting you know. Ashley's now using a 3rd party ap to do FB contests, but I'm pretty sure it cost a little to run them.

IdiotsRUs has a good idea with the GoodReads giveaway. I haven't run one yet, but I think it definitely helps to have people add your book to their to-read lists.

Sandy

Status
Not open for further replies.