The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Publisher] Wheatmark, Inc.

Tired and Disillusioned Momento Mori's Avatar

[Publisher] Wheatmark, Inc.

This came up in another thread that was discussing a context so because I couldn't find a pre-existing thread for it I figured I'd start one.

Website is here:
    http://www.wheatmark.com

Looks like a straight-forward pay-to-play operation, but there are no details on the charges on the site itself, which is something that always makes me nervous.

MM

Banned
    MM, I met them years ago at a writer's conference, and they were pay-to-play back then, though they worked very hard to convince me they weren't.

Tired and Disillusioned Momento Mori's Avatar
    priceless1:
    MM, I met them years ago at a writer's conference, and they were pay-to-play back then, though they worked very hard to convince me they weren't.
    Urgh.

There are a number of things on the site that seem icky - notably the fact that you don't have to have a completed manuscript to submit to them.

Plus they list "achievements" such as the fact that one of their authors won a "National Book Award", which turns out to be The National Indie Excellence Book Awards which is a pure vanity competition with dozens of categories, a $69 dollar entrance fee and which then lets you buy nominee/winner stickers for $25 per roll and you can even buy your own certificate for $25.

MM