• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

TC Publishing Group / "I Want to Be an Author" contest

android415

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I posted it here as it seems to target young writers/audiences.

http://www.iwanttobeanauthor2011.com/

I stumbled across this on Craigslist today. Apparently, it is a contest, that you have to pay for? Thoughts?

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Doesn't really seem like a scam to me. Lots of contests require entry fees (admittedly $50-$100 is steep), and if you read the rules it says all rights to the work remain with the author, so... doesn't seem bad to me.

lachel

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, it looks like a scam to me.

android415

Registered
Reaction score
^ No need to say sorry. I didn't submit! =)

I was curious, though..

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I dunno if I'd want to pay $50/$100 to enter a contest where the grand prize is being published by a company which only raises 9 hits on Google.

Marzipan

Registered
Reaction score
Most things on Craigslist stink like yesterday's carp. I would pass myself.

android415

Registered
Reaction score
I dunno if I'd want to pay $50/$100 to enter a contest where the grand prize is being published by a company which only raises 9 hits on Google.

I don't know if I do either buuuuut...

*looks down at her project that couldn't find an agent/publisher if her life depended on it*

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Looks to me like the company running it, TC Publishing, consists of a self-published author named Tonneta Chester. She's published with Wheatmark Publishing (subsidy pub) and then her own imprint. It doesn't appear she has any publishing/editing experience in her background.

IMHO, the final work being "published" could be done by Lulu for about the same money.

I don't see much of a contest here.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I don't know if I do either buuuuut...

*looks down at her project that couldn't find an agent/publisher if her life depended on it*

Better not to be published at all than to be published badly. Just say to yourself, hey, at least I didn't sell this to PublishAmerica for a dollar.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Given that the "publisher" was started by this author to self-publish her own novels: http://www.tcpublishinggroup.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=1

And her books are self-pubbed through this company: http://www.wheatmark.com/ (not sure if they are vanity press or self-pub)

I conclude that it would be a terrible idea to pay any money to enter a contest for the opportunity to be self-published, which anyone can do anyway, if they so desire. The prize is: "2 (two) Grand Prizes awarded, each consisting of a book publishing contract valued at up to $15,000.00." I'm not sure how anyone figures a self-pub contract with no distribution could possibly be worth that much, given that it costs almost nothing to self-pub through Lulu or similar.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
As a PP said, I'm wary of anything through Craig's list. Better to go an official route and self-pub than to pay money for someone to self-pub you. It all sounds kind of weird t me. Just saying.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it's a scam, per se, but the prize isn't worth the entry fee, seeing as you can self-pub for free and it would be the same amount of exposure, or better.

Marzipan

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it's a scam, per se, but the prize isn't worth the entry fee, seeing as you can self-pub for free and it would be the same amount of exposure, or better.

But wouldn't that make it a scam?

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
But wouldn't that make it a scam?

I dunno, they are giving you what they advertise. Just that there's an easier way to do it. Does that make it a scam?

Anyway, I recommend posting this in Bewares, Recommendations, and Background Checks, if it hasn't been posted there already.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I would steer clear. I have nothing against contests where there is an entry fee, but the fee should be 'appropriate' to the prize. $100 is extremely high for any contest, let alone one with such a [really] insignificant prize.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I think that a Mod should move this over to the Bewares Forum.

FWIW, I don't think it's a scam, but it is a bad idea - not least because the organiser seems to be completely clueless.

For example, the competition is judged on the basis of a book proposal, which includes 1,500 words of actual book text. That would be fine if it was an initial sorting device to establish a long list, but it doesn't seem to work that way. Closing date for entries is 13th July 2011 with the top 50 notified by 24th July 2011 (i.e. they're allowing 11 days after close to complete their evaluation) and then a dinner on 31st July 2011 where the 2 winners are announced.

That timescale is completely unrealistic and I don't see how you can possibly have a winner awarded a book contract if you don't have an actual book to judge.

In any event, in return for your $50 or $100, the fact that the Grand Prize is stated to be a publishing contract up to $15,000 suggests to me that it's basically a book packaging deal of the kind that any pay-to-play operation (which Wheatmark basically is) where sure, you'll have a book at the end of the day - but without bookstore distribution, marketing, promotion etc you're little better off than if you'd just done it yourself on Lulu.

All in all it smells like an amateur operation to me and your book undoubtedly deserves better.

MM

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
As far as I can see TC Publisher has only ever released books by its owner, Tonetta Chester. Her bestselling paperback on Amazon ranks #817,963 . Her debut book actually produced by self-publishing press Wheatmark.

http://www.tcpublishinggroup.com

Oh, and look she has been caught using sockpuppets to promote on forums. I get more impressed by the minute. http://www.booktalk.org/post73304.html

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
URL now redirects to http://tonettachester.com/, which is the same page(s) less the pretense of publishing others.

ETA: As of '15, back at prev. URL touting publishing services.

ETA2: no activity after '16.

Last edited: