Irish Mob Boss Fugitive James 'Whitey' Bulger Arrested

Abraham

Registered
Reaction score
Known as "The Irish Godfather" of Boston, Bulger has been on the FBI's Top Ten Most Wanted posters for years and was an inspiration for the 2006 movie The Departed.

Along with Stephen "The Rifleman" Flemmi, he led the violent Winter Hill Gang, a largely Irish mob that ran loan-sharking, gambling and drug rackets in the Boston area. U.S. Attorney Donald K. Stern said in 2000 that the two were "responsible for a reign of intimidation and murder that spanned 25 years."
In the 1970s, Bulger became a top-secret FBI informant in Boston but later corrupted his handlers.

The agents "tipped him off to investigations by other police agencies and they also tipped him off to other people who were informing against him so that he could and did murder them," said David Boeri, a reporter from member station WBUR in Boston who has followed the Bulger case for more than two decades.

NPR

I'm guessing a good number of people here won't be familiar with this story but its pretty fascinating and terrifying. In the late 70s 'Whitey' became an FBI informant handled by agent John Connelly, a childhood friend from South Boston as well.

Soon information began flowing the other way and Bulger used his FBI status to take down large portions of the Italian mafia in New England as well as hunt down would-be informants.

Since being on the lam since 1995 Bulger has frequently been near the top of the FBI's most wanted list (don't quote me on this, but I believe bin Laden was the only one with a higher reward).

As a Masshole expat all I can say is, and I choose these words carefully, that Bulger is human garbage and I'm glad he will not die a free man.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
I grew up in Springfield. I'm Irish and we have a pretty large Italian mafia here in this town. And I unknowlingly babysat for one of those mafiosos one summer. I was later told by a friend that as I sat in that man's house every week, lounging on the sofa, watching TV and eating Fiddle Faddle while the kiddies slept soundly upstairs, my name had probably been run through a dozen government computers. So in hindsight, the idea that the Iriah mob was bumping off Italian mobsters all during the 70's and 80's kinda freaks me out.

Abraham

Registered
Reaction score
I have a lot of family out in Springfield on my Polish side. My mom used to tell me about the Italian mob presence out there a little bit; the guys that everyone knew around the community. Wish I remembered the names...

But yeah, Bulger is/was a horrific human being and the corruption surrounding him and his FBI friends is astounding. I'd highly recommend reading Black Mass by Dick Lehr and Gerard O'Neil (2 Boston Globe reporters) that details Bulger's reign over Boston. Its a great book, but also infuriating in that you won't be able to believe what was allowed to happen, all with help from the FBI itself.

Another fun fact: James' brother, William 'Billy' Bulger, was president of the Massachusetts State Senate for many years and president of UMass.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
I have a lot of family out in Springfield on my Polish side. My mom used to tell me about the Italian mob presence out there a little bit; the guys that everyone knew around the community. Wish I remembered the names...

But yeah, Bulger is/was a horrific human being and the corruption surrounding him and his FBI friends is astounding. I'd highly recommend reading Black Mass by Dick Lehr and Gerard O'Neil (2 Boston Globe reporters) that details Bulger's reign over Boston. Its a great book, but also infuriating in that you won't be able to believe what was allowed to happen, all with help from the FBI itself.

Another fun fact: James' brother, William 'Billy' Bulger, was president of the Massachusetts State Senate for many years and president of UMass.

UMass is nicknamed ZooMass because of all the partying and drugs done there. The lack of policing of the alcohol and drug scene at UMass is epic. So with your reveleation here, I'm sure Bulger's clan must've made a lot of cash off of just that one college town.

sailor

still new
Registered
Reaction score
Funny how coincidences happen. I was watching the Rachel Maddow Show on Monday and she had a segment on what the FBI were doing to try and catch him. They were using his girlfriend's penchant for going to beauty parlours. Wonder if it helped. She also said that Bulger had the highest reward for an american on the list, those higher being al-queda members.

Anaquana

needed a good laugh today
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anaquana.wordpress.com
I grew up in Springfield. I'm Irish and we have a pretty large Italian mafia here in this town. And I unknowlingly babysat for one of those mafiosos one summer. I was later told by a friend that as I sat in that man's house every week, lounging on the sofa, watching TV and eating Fiddle Faddle while the kiddies slept soundly upstairs, my name had probably been run through a dozen government computers. So in hindsight, the idea that the Iriah mob was bumping off Italian mobsters all during the 70's and 80's kinda freaks me out.

*laughs* My in-laws bought their house in Springfield from Big Nose Sam back in the 70's. It was his mother's house before that and the mob had run numbers out of it.

Abraham

Registered
Reaction score
*laughs* My in-laws bought their house in Springfield from Big Nose Sam back in the 70's. It was his mother's house before that and the mob had run numbers out of it.

Big Nose Sam. That indeed is the mobster my mom used to talk about from growing up in Springfield. Small world.