• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Lucky Bat Books / LB Press

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
This company got mentioned in another thread on AW and I couldn't find a thread here.

http://luckybatbooks.com/

Looks like an upfront pay-to-play operation, but with the usual claims about revolutionising publishing etc etc etc.

Fees seem on the high side to me - especially when you factor in everything that you need to do in order to get a reasonably good looking, well designed product:

http://luckybatbooks.com/services/publishing-fees/

MM

Deleted member 42

Honestly, I can't see that I wouldn't be better off going with McNaughton and Gunn or someone.

And there are a number of oddities on that site that suggest they're not very savvy about production.

Judith Harlan

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there. I noticed you guys talking about Lucky Bat Books, my company, so I thought I'd drop in and introduce myself: Judith. We have gotten some very nice notice on some of the writer blogs, those blogging about self-publishing and the changing paradigm of today's pub world. Guess you saw one those, Momento Mori. I do encourage all writers to be good business people and shop around for the best match for their project. We're just one of many small pubs available. We do our best, but that doesn't mean we're the right company for every author. So, do shop around. I was interested to read that you saw some oddities in my website. It's a wordpress on a theme by elegantthemes.com. We'd all like to know what oddities you're seeing - especially if we can fix 'em. I'm quite sure the guys over at elegantthemes do their best to keep up with updates, etc., too. -- By the way, I love this water cooler idea. Nice meeting ya.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Judith. Welcome to AW. It's good to see you here.

You asked what problems MM spotted on your site: I can't speak for her but I've just taken a look at this page on your website which is, ironically, all about editing and proofreading: I found six or seven errors in grammar and punctuation on that one page alone, and your definitions of proofreading, copy editing and "book editing" are more than a little peculiar.

If that's typical of the editing that you offer, then I have to advise everyone to not even consider your services. Sorry.

I've looked at several pages on your website and have spotted problems on every one. You might want to check and revise it.

Deleted member 42

I've looked at several pages on your website and have spotted problems on every one. You might want to check and revise it.

Yes; this is my concern. Lots of basic errors.

I'd suggest printing hardcopy of every page, proofing, then revising. It's difficult to proof on screen.

Judith Harlan

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks All

I'll take a look at those pages. I appreciate the input!
I'm new to this site, and it's wonderful to meet up with so many dedicated writers.