The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Lucky Bat Books / LB Press

Tired and Disillusioned Momento Mori's Avatar

Lucky Bat Books / LB Press

This company got mentioned in another thread on AW and I couldn't find a thread here.

http://luckybatbooks.com/

Looks like an upfront pay-to-play operation, but with the usual claims about revolutionising publishing etc etc etc.

Fees seem on the high side to me - especially when you factor in everything that you need to do in order to get a reasonably good looking, well designed product:

http://luckybatbooks.com/services/publishing-fees/

MM

Cultus Gopherus MacAllister Medievalist's Avatar
    Honestly, I can't see that I wouldn't be better off going with McNaughton and Gunn or someone.

And there are a number of oddities on that site that suggest they're not very savvy about production.

AW Admin: This account is rarely active
    About.Me
    AWers On Twitter
    Lisa L. Spangenberg
    My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Judith Harlan's Avatar
    Hi there. I noticed you guys talking about Lucky Bat Books, my company, so I thought I'd drop in and introduce myself: Judith. We have gotten some very nice notice on some of the writer blogs, those blogging about self-publishing and the changing paradigm of today's pub world. Guess you saw one those, Momento Mori. I do encourage all writers to be good business people and shop around for the best match for their project. We're just one of many small pubs available. We do our best, but that doesn't mean we're the right company for every author. So, do shop around. I was interested to read that you saw some oddities in my website. It's a wordpress on a theme by elegantthemes.com. We'd all like to know what oddities you're seeing - especially if we can fix 'em. I'm quite sure the guys over at elegantthemes do their best to keep up with updates, etc., too. -- By the way, I love this water cooler idea. Nice meeting ya.

Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    Hi, Judith. Welcome to AW. It's good to see you here.

You asked what problems MM spotted on your site: I can't speak for her but I've just taken a look at this page on your website which is, ironically, all about editing and proofreading: I found six or seven errors in grammar and punctuation on that one page alone, and your definitions of proofreading, copy editing and "book editing" are more than a little peculiar.

If that's typical of the editing that you offer, then I have to advise everyone to not even consider your services. Sorry.

I've looked at several pages on your website and have spotted problems on every one. You might want to check and revise it.

Cultus Gopherus MacAllister Medievalist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hack View Post

I've looked at several pages on your website and have spotted problems on every one. You might want to check and revise it.
    Yes; this is my concern. Lots of basic errors.

I'd suggest printing hardcopy of every page, proofing, then revising. It's difficult to proof on screen.

AW Admin: This account is rarely active
    About.Me
    AWers On Twitter
    Lisa L. Spangenberg
    My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Judith Harlan's Avatar

Thanks All

I'll take a look at those pages. I appreciate the input!
    I'm new to this site, and it's wonderful to meet up with so many dedicated writers.