Netbook, Laptop or iPad? Advice please. :)

Katallina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathyanncoleman.blogspot.com
I have a totally awesome gaming PC, which doubles nicely as a nice comfortable place to do writing. But with the gorgeous summer weather happening outside, I am tempted to soak up some sun and see if a bit of fresh air will inspire me.

I'm almost done my first draft of my first book (Okay... roughly 2/3 of the way...) and I have decided I am going to reward myself with an awesome new gadget when it is completed. I just can't seem to decide which one is going to prove the most handy to me.

I'm considering either getting a low end laptop, a netbook or an iPad. Each seems to have its pros and cons but I'm having trouble sorting out what is going to be practical or useful from what is just "Oooh, shinny new gadget!" syndrome. (I suffer from that a lot.)

I don't need a powerful gaming or graphics machine; my PC is good for that. So a low end laptop would be a logical option. What's good about it? It would ideally have a good quality keyboard, it would still let me do my research on the internet, and it would not offer quite as many distractions as my gaming pc (for obvious reasons).

What's not so hot? Well, I already have a really good PC so I am not sure how much use that I would really get from it. How good is the battery life going to be? Will I really use it or will it collect dust in its case?

Next contender is a netbook. Its smaller, sleeker and has better battery life then the laptop. But the screen is going to be more tiny and I may or may not like the keyboard. I know that the processor in a netbook is nowhere near what I am use to, either. It would be pretty much a one trick pony -- for writing. But unless it had a good keyboard that I liked using would I write on it or just go back to my PC? I'm not sure if the ones that I have tried are just not the right size for my hands or whether its how high up they are on a sales counter, but I can't type on them worth beans.

Last up is the iPad (or a tablet in general -- very open to recommendations as I am clueless in this category). This would take care of a few interesting things. It can be used as an e-Reader. It can be used to draw. (I need to research this. I am huge on drawing my characters when I am creating them.) There are tons of fun little apps to get the imagination going. I own an iPod Touch and absolutely love it. I am not sure if people telling me "It's a giant iPod Touch" is a good thing or a bad thing. On the downside, I doubt that an iPad would actually be a serious writing device where I would be creating chapters worth of content.

Has anyone else been stuck in this situation with all of the different tech options out there? I realize there will be someone who is going to tell me the only notebook I need is full of paper. :p That can be okay for some planning, but I am legally blind and copying much of anything from paper to a pc is a recipe for a migraine for me.

Anyway, thanks so much for your time. Have a great day! :)

Deleted member 42

The iPad is not a good option for what you want, as much as I love mine.

I'd look at a netbook or lowend laptop. The iPad can be used quite well for writing, but it's tricky in sunlight.

Honestly, for me in this situation, I like pen and paper. Now, as someone in a similar situation as you--depending on your visual issues, a Live Scribe pen might be perfect for you.

http://www.livescribe.com/en-us/

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I'd look at a netbook or lowend laptop. The iPad can be used quite well for writing, but it's tricky in sunlight.

I'm not sure a netbook or laptop would be any better; consumer-priced stuff doesn't generally come in matte, does it?

Deleted member 42

I'm not sure a netbook or laptop would be any better; consumer-priced stuff doesn't generally come in matte, does it?

I've only seen one Chrome book in the flesh silicon and it was a matte screen.

(And yes, I have Chrome lust.)

I am watching Live Scribe pens closely (and yeah, of course I want one too)--a faculty I used to do a lot of tech support for in terms of screen readers and Dragon Dictate etc. has been using a Live Scribe pen with great success.

Katallina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathyanncoleman.blogspot.com
I'm looking at the Live Scribe right now. That sounds pretty cool. I'd need to see how much trouble I would have getting it here in Canada, though. Certainly an interesting idea, though.

Not sure how much serious writing I'm going to get done on any of these smaller machines anyway, truth be told. My main PC runs on a 37" tv, so I am kinda spoiled.

Nice to have something if I want to sit on the porch, or I'm with the family for a long drive, or I just want to be in my dining room rather then at my desk though. A change of scenery can be a real mood switcher.

Bottom line seems to be that I have the nice PC that I cannot move and then I have my iTouch which is a great little machine but (I've had to endure this before...) is absolutely useless for completing anything.

The lions share of my actual work is probably going to remain on my PC ... I'm just looking for some form of middle ground.

Deleted member 42

I'm looking at the Live Scribe right now. That sounds pretty cool. I'd need to see how much trouble I would have getting it here in Canada, though. Certainly an interesting idea, though.

Amazon Ca carries them.

My main PC runs on a 37" tv, so I am kinda spoiled.

You might be interested in some of the adaptive tech drivers meant to work with HD screens like that. I've been out of the support business for a while, but I suspect I could help you find someone who knows someone.

There's a lot to be done with adding contrast, or anti-aliasing and tuning a screen to suit you and text display.

jimbro

Registered
Reaction score
The iPad is not a good option for what you want, as much as I love mine.

I've commented on this issue before, but I'll put in my 2 cents again:

Agree with Medievalist.

I love my iPad, but not for writing. It is great for editing something already written, but less than ideal for just pounding away because of the "virtual" keyboard.

For writing, the small netbook works best for me due to its "real" keyboard. Portability is ideal, and for an extended session away from a power source, I got the big battery. Extremely happy.

I rarely use my "big" laptop anymore. Still use the desktop, but it's upstairs, and sometimes that's too far away. ;)

Last edited:

AlexPiper

Wayward Wordsmith
Registered
Reaction score
Seattle, WA -- land of rain, home of the spice caf
Website
www.fabulaurbanus.com
I love my iPad, but not for writing. It is great for editing something already written, but less than ideal for just pounding away because of the "virtual" keyboard.
The main thing I use my iPad for in writing is for notes. I keep all my various notes in Evernote; I can tweak it on the desktop, jot something down from my phone, whatever. When I sit down to write, I tend to put Scrivener on the laptop on full screen and then put Evernote up on the iPad next to the computer; I have access to all my notes, and I never need pop out of the Scrivener full screen mode.

However, I've just picked up an Adonit Writer, which seems like it can make my iPad a more viable little netbook replacement in terms of writing. I'll definitely give a review when it arrives this coming week.

Chris1981

Just Another Transman
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a Neo because, last year, I wanted to write on my lunch breaks at work. This was ideal because I wanted distraction-free writing, not a portable computer.

The keyboard's very good--almost as good as the one I'm using right now. (I'm picky and have an old, mechanical-switch 'board connected to my desktop.) I'm still on the original AA batteries that came with the Neo, so battery life obviously isn't a huge problem. If you want to write, and only want to write, the Neo's worth considering; it doesn't access the Internet, load your computer games, or do any of that other stuff.

RedStringSoul

Chaos Wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Echoing other's input here: if you must have a computer and plan on writing with it, go for the low end laptop with a decent sized screen. I also use Scrivener and appreciate a larger surface to work with it but everyone's work methods vary. Netbooks are handy for anywhere use and quick "gotta get it out" draft ideas but ill-suited for long writing sessions unless your hands are really tiny and/or you don't need a lot of space to write.

iPad is a great toy and you could write with it but I'd suggest getting a Bluetooth keyboard or something similar. That Adonit Writer looks very interesting.

fourlittlebees

chief sitter on people
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.about.me
If you touch-type, the iPad is useless for writing. I have a Bluetooth keyboard for it (which is lickable, and yes, I have licked it), but the iPad needs to be propped up for it to work well, which rules out sitting outside with it.

I also have a Chromebook. It's awesome so long as you are in a service area or within WiFi distance, but other than that, you are screwed. Car writing would be out.

I actually have a laptop as my main machine (and am jealous of your display). If I had unlimited resources, I'd get an Apple MacBook Air for more portability. Alas, I do not have unlimited resources.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Am I really the only one who can touch type on the iPad's virtual keyboard? I make a few more mistakes, but I write slower than I type anyway, and personally I find it easier to use than a netbook keyboard. The only time I really have trouble typing on it is for coding, since it's harder to get to all the symbols as quickly. The most annoying thing for me is the lack of arrow keys.

Deleted member 42

Am I really the only one who can touch type on the iPad's virtual keyboard? I make a few more mistakes, but I write slower than I type anyway, and personally I find it easier to use than a netbook keyboard. The only time I really have trouble typing on it is for coding, since it's harder to get to all the symbols as quickly. The most annoying thing for me is the lack of arrow keys.

I wrote an entire chapter of the current book on the iPad.

I can touch type on it quite well, now, with the current OS.

But on a normal keyboard I'm better than 75 words / minute. So it's a bit of a hit for me, in terms of production.

fourlittlebees

chief sitter on people
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.about.me

I will blame the nuns. Sr. Helen told me that my fingers MUST BE ON THE HOME KEYS unless they were on another key. You can't regularly be touching something on the iPad.

Deleted member 42

I also have a Chromebook. It's awesome so long as you are in a service area or within WiFi distance, but other than that, you are screwed.

I mostly want a Chrome book for travel, where I'd have WiFi.

I'm a little uncomfortable with the current trend I'm seeing regarding TSA abusing hardware, or even confiscating it.

fourlittlebees

chief sitter on people
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.about.me
My biggest ish is that I tend to fly JetBlue, which doesn't have WiFi, which means I can't use it on the plane for much of anything.

I really haven't had a problem with TSA, but I take out EVERYTHING, including the iPad, even though they claim iPads and MacBook Airs can stay in. I also get growly when people behind me try to glom my x-ray bins. I NEED FIVE, YES. GITCHER OWN. :D

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote an entire chapter of the current book on the iPad.

I can touch type on it quite well, now, with the current OS.

But on a normal keyboard I'm better than 75 words / minute. So it's a bit of a hit for me, in terms of production.

Same here, but I can't write at nearly the same speed I type anyway, so it doesn't really bother me.

JohnLine

Owns a pen.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wanted a laptop for similar reasons about a year ago. I couldn't find exactly what I wanted until about 4 months after I bought a Vaio.

Anyway, the laptop I'd recommend right now is the Lenovo Thinkpad 120e. It's under $500. Small (11.6 inches) with good battery life and a decent processor.

What I really want is for someone to make an E-Ink word processor.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I...
Next contender is a netbook. Its smaller, sleeker and has better battery life then the laptop. But the screen is going to be more tiny and I may or may not like the keyboard. I know that the processor in a netbook is nowhere near what I am use to, either. It would be pretty much a one trick pony -- for writing.
My netbook has a 1.6gHz Intel "Neon" or whatever, the standard netbook processor 1 1/2 years ago when I bought it. It's not as fast as my (aging but still plenty useful) 2.8gHz Pentium D desktop, but it's plenty fast enough for websurfing. The 1024x600 screen is much smaller than my two 1600x1200 monitors at the office, but I can accept the small size when sitting at Starbucks drinking coffee and surfing. And at the office when it's charging I can plug in a larger monitor.
But unless it had a good keyboard that I liked using would I write on it or just go back to my PC? I'm not sure if the ones that I have tried are just not the right size for my hands or whether its how high up they are on a sales counter, but I can't type on them worth beans.
This may defeat the purpose of having a computer as "portable" as a netbook, but a standard desktop computer keyboard with USB interface will plug right into a laptop and work right off the bat. And they're cheap. A Model M costs more, but if you don't know what that is, don't worry about it.

AlexPiper

Wayward Wordsmith
Registered
Reaction score
Seattle, WA -- land of rain, home of the spice caf
Website
www.fabulaurbanus.com

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Not much of a solution for the iPad 1 (though I'm sure there are cases that prop it up in the same way), but for any iPad 2 propped up with the SmartCover, any regular Bluetooth keyboard will do. No real need for a special case.

Wojciehowicz

Alien to My Own Planet
Registered
Reaction score
Website
outpostearth.onedamnballoon.com
The only way to know is try. Head then to a store which has tablets and see if you can test drive one right there, typing in whatever little text editor they have. If it doesn't feel right, then you know to try something else.

Personally my opinion is, if you are going to be at home, but merely outside, a Windows laptop can do remote desktop across the home network to the desktop PC and you can keep the story stuff there, and merely use the laptop as a very expensive remote keyboard and monitor. I use a home wireless network and can RDP to my wife's desktop and mine, as well as the server, all from the front porch. If you go farther afield, you can even figure out port forwarding, dynamic dns, and even SSH tunneling. I've done them all, and I know of no tablet that can do any of the above, or at least, do it efficiently and comfortably.

Note: there are laptops with screens that spin around and fold down acting as a rather large tablet.

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Personally my opinion is, if you are going to be at home, but merely outside, a Windows laptop can do remote desktop across the home network to the desktop PC and you can keep the story stuff there, and merely use the laptop as a very expensive remote keyboard and monitor. I use a home wireless network and can RDP to my wife's desktop and mine, as well as the server, all from the front porch. If you go farther afield, you can even figure out port forwarding, dynamic dns, and even SSH tunneling.

No need to be Windows. Any OS worth its merit can do VNC. Though frankly I think using Dropbox or something similar to keep documents in sync between them is easier than bothering with that for basic word processing. It's not exactly a heavy app, nor are they large files.

I've done them all, and I know of no tablet that can do any of the above, or at least, do it efficiently and comfortably.

I don't know what apps Android has, but on the iPad I use Screens for VNC to my two laptops, and iSSH for ssh access to my department's Linux cluster. Granted, a Bluetooth keyboard is preferable for any coding over ssh. But that's really only if I need any heavier programs; for word processing it's easier just to sync the documents and do it locally, IMO.

plain and simple

Taking it all in.
Registered
Reaction score
Friends are still trying to drag me into the 19th century. They call me Charles Ingalls, Jr. So, naturally, I'm not a technology expert. (Netbook? Chromebook? Livescribe? Never heard of them before this thread.)

Personally, I'm a pen and paper guy. I know. How Adam and Eve of me. They're portable, lightweight, fit anywhere and you're not restricted by wifi access, software or even electricity. You get instant start up and there's no need for extended warranties. They're inexpensive and have cheap, disposable parts. They're even allowed on airplanes - for the time being.

To my way of thinking, pen and paper's real advantage comes from the bit of extra time it takes to use them. I can type nearly 100 words a minute. Most often, the thought that first comes to mind isn't usually the best one but it's typed and the writer's mind is already on the next thought to be typed. When you handwrite your ideas, your brain gets a little more time to ruminate on an idea without having to spit it out and rush on. With a little extra time to expound on an idea, a better version of it usually comes along and can save time during revisions. First thoughts are like first drafts. They need revisions.

I know, I know. Folks like their toys and I don't blame them. I'm the one my friends call Charles Ingalls, Jr., not the rest of you. When it comes to computers, I will always go with Mac. I hated, loathed, despised and abominated computers for many years. They were frustrating, always slow, a million clicks to accomplish simple tasks, always breaking down or freezing up, and very slow to boot. When my last PC broke down I swore I'd never replace it. I was done!

Then someone suggested a Mac. So, I went to an Apple Store and fell. in. love. So easy. So fast. So efficient. I bought an iMac (I don't like laptops). It's been three-and-a-half years and I've never had a single problem with it. It's sitting on a library table and I'm in my LaZBoy recliner with a wireless remote. No bulk, no wiry mess, just ease.

From my experience, when you buy a PC, it's like buying a car - and having to push it wherever you go. When you buy a Mac, it's like getting a chauffeur with the car.