• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Static Movement

BjornAbust

Banned
Reaction score
Hey, folks. I've been considering a submission to one of Static Movement's many anthologies, however I'm not certain if this market is a good choice for my work. It's a non-paying market, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, however I'm not sure how widely-read or reputable they are. I've researched them a bit, but I'm still on the fence.

Has anyone here been published in one of their anthologies? And, if so, did you have a good experience? Are their anthos widely read?

Just looking for a little insight!

Topaz044

Resident Zombie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.warofthesoulites.com
(shrug) I sent in a story a couple of years ago. I didn't have a bad experience with the publisher-it was accepted and published, and that was pretty much it. I don't think there was any editing involved and I can't say for certain how many people actually read it. I doubt it was that many.

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
It probably depends on your editor. My writing buddy Naomi Clark edits for them, and she's very enthusiastic and dedicated (and a fine writer herself - ALA-nominated, no less). I know she puts time into editing the submissions she chooses. I have no idea about the size of Static Movement's readership, though.

Personally, I would start at the top and work down when submitting work. When I say "top" I don't necessarily mean the very top pro markets (they are highly competitive), but at least a decent semi-pro paying market, or whatever is the equivalent in your genre. A non-paying market that an agent has never heard of is worthless as a publishing credit, so you have to ask yourself, "why bother?"

Last edited:

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, folks. I've been considering a submission to one of Static Movement's many anthologies, however I'm not certain if this market is a good choice for my work. It's a non-paying market, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, however I'm not sure how widely-read or reputable they are. I've researched them a bit, but I'm still on the fence.

Has anyone here been published in one of their anthologies? And, if so, did you have a good experience? Are their anthos widely read?

Just looking for a little insight!

It's not going to do anything for your career. I think most of the people who buy and read them are the authors who are published in them--because you don't even get a contributor's copy. Maybe some give free pdf copies, I don't know. So you give them the work, then pay them for a copy if you want to see the book with your work in it. If you're all right with that and you're super enthused about submitting to one of the 80 or so anthologies they're collecting submissions for right now, then there's no harm.

But why shortchange yourself? Personally, unless I was so excited about an anthology theme that I just had to write for it and submit, which I did with a Pill Hill Press anthology earlier in the year (paid $16 a free copy, though, a little better than nothing), I'd try my story somewhere else first.

Shelley

neilbco

neilbco
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vampireandhorrorstories.blogspot.com
I appreciate the previous posts

The previous posts were useful because I couldn't figure out Static Movement's "business model." I stumbled upon Static Movement while searching for magazines and anthologies that might be interested in my unpublished short stories. One of their anthologies matched up with a short story of mine that I had little hopes of ever getting published. So I sent it in, and they accepted it. Now I know that I will have to buy a copy of the anthology so I can proudly display it on my bookcase between Shakespeare and Sophocles. There are magazines that will not accept a submission form an unpublished author. So maybe it helps to get a short story accepted in one of Static's anthologies.

Link to my novel on Amazon.com. http://www.amazon.com/dp/0982679505/?tag=absowrit-20

Last edited:

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com

Rebnatan

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any recent news on Static Movement?

I've got three short stories accepted for their anthologies, but the publications do not seem to be moving forward. Their movement has become static, so to speak. Can anyone say what's going on with them? I know the main honcho had health and financial issues, but she said things would be moving forward. I'm not getting any response from the editor of the anthologies that accepted my stories.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Last anthology published Jun '13 (via CreateSpace). Last issue of ezine, Jan '14. Site gone by '15, and the blog's been wiped.