The various purposes of your writing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isabelle

Registered
Reaction score
Website
edgeacuity.wordpress.com
I was just thinking about how many words of my WIP I want to write each day; and that led me to think (as the kind of thinking that you do when you're procrastinating does) about how many more words I actually write every day, beyond my novel.

I write in my paper journal - not every day, but quite a few of them, because it just keeps my brain working and often gives me ideas for other writing that might not have come about otherwise. I carry another little notebook around with me that gets filled up with scribbled musings, thoughts and ideas. I write short stories (very short stories) when the mood takes me. I write in my blog, more so at the moment than I have done before. I have a couple of friends who aren't around at the moment or who live far away who I exchange regular emails with, which tend to be long and detailed and descriptive, and of course there's academic work during term time at uni.

What different forms of writing are part of your every day lives? I'm interested to know how much it features beyond your main projects, and if you think writing for different purposes influences/helps your fiction?

VTwriter

Hair today, gone tomorrow
Registered
Reaction score
Website
wrgreer.com
I write a ton of work-related e-mail every day. It doesn't help with my fiction writing, but I strive to get my e-mails grammatically correct, clear, and concise.

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, what VTwriter said. Emails. Lots of 'em.

Since my day job is editor (not fiction), I think it helps me stay sharp, as the more voluminous emails I compose are extensive notes to the writers about how to improve (which, in turn, makes my job easier).

Oh -- and forum posts. I write those, too. :D

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
I try to do at least one blog post a week...they're not usually very interesting. I sometimes blog for the radio show I occasionally co-host, too. And I write daily in a journal as well, but that's kept for another person, not for me. I try to make it entertaining. Once a week I have my writers' group meeting, and I try to some up with something new for that -- that is, something not from my novel-in-progress. Mostly because a few of the members of the group have gotten weirdly possessive over my novel and the changes they feel I should make to it, so it creeps me out to bring anything from the novel to the meetings. :/

I am trying to increase how much I write daily. With the last book I wrote, I was able to write about 2000 words a day. Now I count myself very lucky if I write 300 words a day. I've had some difficulties in my life that have made focusing on writing hard, but I REALLY want to get this book finished. I've been working on it since last April! Guh!!

Kenra Daniels

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenradaniels.com
I write a few emails, forum posts, and social networking updates every day. One or two blog posts a week, occasionally more. During first drafts, I write roughly 5k words/day, sometimes more, seldom less. When I'm not working on a first draft, I write significantly less per day. I also occasionally write short stories, articles for a friend's NPO, and stories for my grandsons.

That's pretty much the extent of my writing these days- I don't have a day job, don't keep a journal, and don't do long chatty emails normally. When I had a day job, I was a preschool teacher and day care director, so I had -started to list it all, but let's just say A LOT- of writing every day. Off hand, I'd say it was 5-8k a day, plus 8 hrs of teaching, and then my own writing.

jeffo20

Tyrant King
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doubtingwriter.blogspot.com
Even though I do a lot writing that seems unrelated to my fiction work, such as personal/professional e-mails, forum posts, and blog comments, I think all of it helps my fiction, simply because it's the act of writing; of organizing thoughts and coming up with a way of communicating those thoughts to others.

Satsya

slow and steady
Registered
Reaction score
I have a natural tendency to be too wordy. Two big sources have taught me to tighten my writing:

Posting on the World of Warcraft forums. Most of the folks there have the attention span of a goldfish, so if you want to be heard and understood you need to keep your writing short yet informative. Also gave lessons in how to deal with rudeness.

Taking a Report Writing class for Criminal Justice. The first lesson of the course was to be truthful. Second was for your writing to be clear, concise, and complete.

whacko

Keeping up with the class
Registered
Reaction score
I come up with music when I can't get motivated to write narrative.

It's strange though, because I can't do them together. It's either one or the other.

And on balance, I think my songs are even worse than my novels or scripts. Which is a tad disheartening.:D

Regards

Whacko

Status
Not open for further replies.