New phone - iPhone or Android?

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I am finally going to get a new phone this year. I've had a Palm Centro for about 3 or 4 years, and it's definitely showing its age. I'm on Verizon and when I took it into a V store for a question a few months ago, the tech people hadn't even seen a Centro before, it's so out of date.

I'm a hybrid person re: computer systems. My laptop is a MacBook Pro. My husband's laptop is a Windows one. We just bought a Windows netbook for travel. At home office we have a Windows desktop for bookkeeping etc. At my job it's all Windows based. At some point, when I win the lotto, I'll get an iPad.

I'm trying to decide which phone to go with, now that Verizon has the iPhone too. I use Gmail and iGoogle for my calendar, documents etc that I want to have easy access to, from anywhere.

Husband has an Android phone (the X) which he really likes. I was leaning toward an Android as well, since apparently I could sync up my google accounts with it and have my calendar etc on my phone.

But now, with the news about iCloud and iOS5, I'm wondering if the iPhone might be what I want after all.

I'm not nearly techie enough to understand the implications of any of this. I just want to be able to access my stuff quickly and easily and happily, from anywhere ... is that too much to ask? :)

How to choose? What should I be looking at/for etc? I don't want to be pushed into something by a salesperson and then regret it, since I'll probably have the new phone for a few years.

Thanks ...

(The community college should offer a class on choosing new technology. Maybe some of you techie types could teach simple classes and pick up extra $$$. I'd pay for a non-sales, hands-on class.)

TheMindKiller

Only I Will Remain
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jabberwocky.ws
Right at this very single moment I wouldn't get an iPhone. The new iPhone has been delayed but it's going to come out sooner rather than later. Android is getting updated operating systems while IO5 is still being tested.

If the iPhone appeals to you, I'd wait for iPhone 5 and for the new OS and such to be fully implemented. Otherwise, you're just wasting your money I think.

The main good thing about Android is its openness. It can be customized in a lot of ways the iPhone can't. This also has some disadvantages but the good parts outweigh the bad.

The iPhone is very straightforward and easy to use but also lacks the customization of the Android. Again, good and bad.

Neither operating system is a bad choice.

As far as Android goes - it's available on far more different types of really nice phones and carriers.

With IO5 getting wireless syncing, it really doesn't matter anymore if your computer is Mac or Windows. The syncing should be much improved compared to what it is now. Android, mostly, should already have that capability.

I'm an iPhone user starting with iPhone 3G and I have the iPhone 4 now. I really like the phone but I had to jailbreak it to really appreciate it.

But as I said, I don't believe you can go wrong either way. Compared to a Centro (REALLY?) you'll be extremely happy with whatever you get. Just at the moment, the iPhone is about ready to come out with a lot of new stuff that isn't out yet which means you'll be paying full price for a phone that's going to be devalued in a matter of months.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
They're both pretty good these days. iOS has more polish and better apps; Android has more customization and tinkering. Go to the store and try them both out. See what you like, what feels more intuitive to you, what you could see yourself getting the most use out of.

If most of your stuff is on Google already, Android will probably be a better match for pulling your contacts, calendars, documents, etc. If iCloud works well and in embraced by developers, though, it has the potential to do this across all your apps pretty seamlessly. It really depends what "stuff" you want to access. I can download anything from Dropbox to my iPod Touch, and I'm sure you could do the same on an Android device. iCloud promises more seamless syncing of documents. If you use Google Docs for everything, it might not matter.

As mentioned, I'd wait for the iPhone 5 if you decide to go the iOS path. It should be out in the next few months. iOS 5 looks like it will work fine on iPhone 4's and 3GS's, though. At the moment the Verizon iPhone is an update behind the GSM iPhone, though, and they'll be unified when iOS 5 hits.

If you go for an Android phone, make sure to do your research on the specifics of that particular phone and the OEM. Lots of Android phone manufacturers have a bad habit of not pushing OS updates out to their devices, and you end up stuck on an old OS because of lazy cell phone makers unless you want to root it and flash some custom ROMs.

There's also Windows Phone 7 to consider. IMO, it looks slicker than Android, but it's currently less feature-rich than iOS or Android; however, the Mango update that's coming soon looks pretty good and closes much of the feature disparity.

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
Android phones lag about .5 behind the actual os release so make sure when comparing android phones you take into account the os version. Samsung, and HTC android phones seem to perform better than LG phones.

I ended up with a mytouch4g (I'm on tmobile). So far I love it. We have an iphone 4 as well but it's not as fast right now. We have yet to see when/if iphone will go to 4g...probably with the next update...so I would wait for that.

Slowlycreepingdeath

Registered
Reaction score
Website
slowlycreepingdeath.blogspot.co.uk
I'd go for the iPhone, maybe wait a month or so as others have said but as your computer is a MacBook Pro the iPhone will "...just work" (sorry) with the contacts and mail accounts. Also if you use Pages for Mac to write things, the iCloud will sync things up to your phone so if you get inspired to write out and about you can pick up where you left off.

Been a glut of Android trojan viruses lately too.

Mac FanBoy out!