XP to Win 7

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
So I think it's about time I abandoned trusty old XP for apparently-pretty-trusty Win 7. Annoyingly there doesn't appear to be a straightforward upgrade path available - MS would rather you went via Vista, which I guess is a bit like trading up from a Volvo to an Audi via an exploding flaming Pinto. So I guess I'll be offloading all my data onto a USB drive and doing a custom Win 7 install, right?

Being only half-smart about Windows, what's the worst that could happen? Win 7 Upgrade Advisor is baffled by my Marvell Miniport Driver, which I guess is ethernet? Am I likely to run into other hardware driver issues, e.g. with my motherboard?

Also, I have a 64 GB SSD where all my Steam games live. I'm going to have to wipe 'em, aren't I, because I assume they won't work with Win 7?

Any help, advice, salutary tales of horror would be much appreciated.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would think about getting an external drive if you don't already have one rather than using a USB (I still don't trust flash drives quite as much as I do an external).* One the size you would need isn't that expensive, and you could use it for backups later.

Then you could do a "clean" custom installation of Windows 7 and migrate your files from the external as needed.

*Someone else might have a different opinion about this. I have never been involved with upgrading using a USB.

Last edited:

Torgo

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I would think about getting an external drive if you don't already have one rather than using a USB (I still don't trust flash drives quite as much as I do an external).* One the size you would need isn't that expensive, and you could use it for backups later.

Then you could do a "clean" custom installation of Windows 7 and migrate your files from the external as needed.

*Someone else might have a different opinion about this. I have never been involved with upgrading using a USB.

Sorry, yes, that was what I meant by a USB drive, rather than a flash memory stick.

Mr. House

Registered
Reaction score
When it comes to installed new operating systems, I've always found it best to start from scratch. Back up any data you find important--buy an external hard drive if you have to--and just let the new OS reformat your hard drive during the install. Once the new OS is installed, hook up whatever back-up media you have to your computer and start moving files. Sure it's not pretty, but it makes sure the job is done right.

That my advice on upgrading your OS, now here's my opinion on OS upgrades:

Honestly, it's better to simply get a new computer. These days, you can get a new PC with an updated OS for just a little more money, and far less hassle, than buying a copy of the new OS and upgrading an old PC.

For example:

Windows 7 Upgrade (not even the full version): $130 and up

A new computer with Windows 7 (64-bit) already installed: $269 and up

Source: bestbuy.com

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
Also, I have a 64 GB SSD where all my Steam games live. I'm going to have to wipe 'em, aren't I, because I assume they won't work with Win 7?
I wouldn't assume this. Try and see. You might need to use the compatibility settings. I've not had any problems with any games on Steam with my Windows 7 PC.

Torgo

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I wouldn't assume this. Try and see. You might need to use the compatibility settings. I've not had any problems with any games on Steam with my Windows 7 PC.

Did you d/l them from Steam after you went to Win 7 though? Am wondering if there are slightly different builds depending on which operating system you're running. Oh well, might have to ask Steam support.

Torgo

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
That my advice on upgrading your OS, now here's my opinion on OS upgrades:

Honestly, it's better to simply get a new computer. These days, you can get a new PC with an updated OS for just a little more money, and far less hassle, than buying a copy of the new OS and upgrading an old PC.

Not in my case; am upgrading a new brute of a PC that came with no OS, and which I slapped my old copy of XP into.

AmericaMadeMe

Registered
Reaction score
I loathe 7. I went from XP to 7 at work and OMG it hates everything! I actually downgraded to XP when I bought my kids their laptops.

Not sure why I keep hear that sort of thing. Windows 7 is really much more stable and secure than XP, but of course, you could have said the same thing about Vista 3 or 4 years ago. I really can't imagine why anyone would need to downgrade?

AmericaMadeMe

Registered
Reaction score
So I think it's about time I abandoned trusty old XP for apparently-pretty-trusty Win 7. Annoyingly there doesn't appear to be a straightforward upgrade path available - MS would rather you went via Vista, which I guess is a bit like trading up from a Volvo to an Audi via an exploding flaming Pinto. So I guess I'll be offloading all my data onto a USB drive and doing a custom Win 7 install, right?

Being only half-smart about Windows, what's the worst that could happen? Win 7 Upgrade Advisor is baffled by my Marvell Miniport Driver, which I guess is ethernet? Am I likely to run into other hardware driver issues, e.g. with my motherboard?

Any help, advice, salutary tales of horror would be much appreciated.

First of all, you're not really performing an "upgrade," so you need a "full" version of Windows 7, not an "upgrade." You're going to need to do a clean install. Actually, with XP, annual clean installs used to advisable but not with Vista or 7. Back up ALL of your data and simply go for a clean install. As far as "Steam," that's a question for another forum. As far as hardware driver issues, you'll just have to do your own research.

YAwriter72

someone let me off this crazy ride
Registered
Reaction score
We all live under the same sky, but we don't all h
Website
www.leebross.com
Oh dear. What in particular does it hate?

I should say first, we work on a network, and 7 absolutely hates the network. It corrupts anything in Office programs that I try to open and save. We also run a few older programs here, and they will not run on my 7 machine.

Also.. and this is just me, I can't find anything! LOL The whole setup is so different, that getting to your files or the control panel or search or things like that don't make sense (to me.) This could all be user error so take it with a grain of salt :tongue

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericaMadeMe
Not sure why I keep hear that sort of thing. Windows 7 is really much more stable and secure than XP, but of course, you could have said the same thing about Vista 3 or 4 years ago. I really can't imagine why anyone would need to downgrade?

:) Preference. It's what they were used to and I can actually fix things when they go wrong in XP. And with a 7 and 10 year old suing them, things often go wrong! heh

I bought a Mac laptop for my own personal use after only ever owning a PC. Will never go back. :D

Last edited:

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
I should say first, we work on a network, and 7 absolutely hates the network. It corrupts anything in Office programs that I try to open and save. We also run a few older programs here, and they will not run on my 7 machine.

I have several windows 7 pcs on our home network without issue. ymmv of course.

AmericaMadeMe

Registered
Reaction score

Those issues aren't related to the operating system. Your employer should update their network, and I don't have a clue about the Office issue, but I've been advocating that individuals, and even enterprises, should migrate to LibreOffice. Finally, no business should still be using 20 year old 8 and 16-bit programs. Only programs of that vintage have issue with newer operating systems.
:) Preference. It's what they were used to and I can actually fix things when they go wrong in XP. And with a 7 and 10 year old suing them, things often go wrong! heh

I bought a Mac laptop for my own personal use after only ever owning a PC. Will never go back. :D

Children should be able to adapt to change and XP is the worst choice in the world from the standpoint of security and reliability for novice users. As far as using owning a Mac, there are arguments in favor of the perceived quality of the hardware, despite some of the cheap components inside, not to mention a Unix-like operating system, which unfortunately is proprietary and lacking in configurability. Is OS X better than Windows. No, it's simply different and far more similar to other Unix-like operating systems.

Last edited:

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Did you d/l them from Steam after you went to Win 7 though? Am wondering if there are slightly different builds depending on which operating system you're running. Oh well, might have to ask Steam support.
You'll need to re-download everything anyway - unless you're installing from a disc. Installed programs need registry entries, which are set up at installation, so you won't be able to just copy them all across.
If you are installing from discs, and there are compatibility issues, I imagine Steam would apply patches if there are solutions. This is usually done automatically.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
7 isn't so bad if you can take a little time to really pwn it. (I hate having to work on other people's "untamed" laptops LOL) The way Windows Explorer behaves is the worst part of it. As for old games, they can be run on a "virtual machine" -- software that behaves like a separate computer. It's not that hard to set up (I know, that's a geek talking). I'm running Vista, and I have 98, XP, and 7 in VMWare Player.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
Website
7 isn't so bad if you can take a little time to really pwn it. (I hate having to work on other people's "untamed" laptops LOL) The way Windows Explorer behaves is the worst part of it. As for old games, they can be run on a "virtual machine" -- software that behaves like a separate computer. It's not that hard to set up (I know, that's a geek talking). I'm running Vista, and I have 98, XP, and 7 in VMWare Player.
With 7, you don't need a virtual machine - there are compatibility settings you can adjust.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
Compatability settings don't mean diddly with really old stuff. I need my virtual machines because Fractal Explorer needs DOS for its formula compiler, and I will never give up Fractal Explorer.

Torgo

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
You'll need to re-download everything anyway - unless you're installing from a disc. Installed programs need registry entries, which are set up at installation, so you won't be able to just copy them all across.
If you are installing from discs, and there are compatibility issues, I imagine Steam would apply patches if there are solutions. This is usually done automatically.

Ah, right, the registry. Of course. Thanks!